Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
onacloudynight

I Don't Care About Impacting The World.

12 posts in this topic

I was wondering why my life purpose didn't feel authentic, but after being really self-honest, I realized that I don't really care about impacting the world. I don't know if it is just a stage of life that I am in or what, but I really don't care at all. I'm finding it hard to come up with my life purpose, since I don't have any genuine concern for the world. Should I just pretend to care? Fake it till you make it? Or be true to myself?

Be true to yourself.

Its not about impacting the world becourse 'impacting the world is a good thing' /something you ought to do. Its more that if you find some cause that feels very important to you, then dedicating a lot of time and effort to that course tends to make your life feel a lot more meaningful.

Psychological research on meaning has found that this tends to be the most powerful way of generating the sense that your life has meaning. It's fully possible to generate a sense of meaning from more private projects, like raising children, but this sense tends not to be as powerful as the one you get from feeling that you are dedicating yourself to something that feels bigger and more important than yourself. Hopefully you will at some point discover sutch a cause, but if you don't thats ok too. 

INSTEAD OF COMMUNICATING WITH PEOPLE AS IF THEY POSSESSED INTELLIGENCE, TRY USING ABSTRACT SPIRITUAL TERMS THAT CONVEY NO USABLE INFORMATION. :)

My first published essay

As long as you're living a good life, its okay even if you don't do anything for this world. Take care of yourself and that would be enough. 

When you are done with your own actualization, you might want to give some of your time to social causes in the world. 

But obviously there's no compulsion. You first live for yourself and then for the world.

1. Only ONE path is true. Rest is noise
  2. God is beauty, rest is Ugly 

I'm finding it hard to come up with my life purpose, since I don't have any genuine concern for the world

Life purpose =/= "what helps the world?"

Traditionally when one finds their life purpose it adds to the word regardless of whether it fits the conventional picture of what helps the world and what doesn't. Don't beat yourself up for not having concern for the world, because it's not something you necessarily choose to do anymore than a mother chooses to love a child. Compassion as a quality isn't forced or efforted but is rather the spontaneous quality of certain stages. When it is more refined, there isn't 'concern' because there's a wisdom that knows that following your own unique purpose is optimal. 

So don't worry about it because it will come naturally and of its own volition. Be true to yourself, as you say, and explore your own unique passions and interests. 

Edited by Arman

20 hours ago, onacloudynight said:

I don't really care about impacting the world

So then what do you care about?

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

6 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

So then what do you care about?

The only thing I care about is how far I can raise my consciousness/awareness. The problem is I don't have enough money to spend on going to retreats and other stuff. I wanted to find my life purpose because not only would it be something meaningful for me to do, but also would be a good source of income, so that I could do better consciousness work. The only thing I seem to be missing is a genuine desire to help the world.

13 hours ago, onacloudynight said:

The only thing I care about is how far I can raise my consciousness/awareness. The problem is I don't have enough money to spend on going to retreats and other stuff. I wanted to find my life purpose because not only would it be something meaningful for me to do, but also would be a good source of income, so that I could do better consciousness work. The only thing I seem to be missing is a genuine desire to help the world.

Take care of yourself first. I guarantee, once you get along the path long enough, you will want to bring some type of creativity into the world. It could be art, business, music, or offspring. Of course these aren't the only options.

On 7/15/2017 at 1:02 AM, onacloudynight said:

The only thing I care about is how far I can raise my consciousness/awareness. The problem is I don't have enough money to spend on going to retreats and other stuff.

If the only thing you care about is how far you can raise your consciousness/awareness, then why don't you become a monk? That way you can have a lifestyle fully dedicated to that, and you won't need a lot of money.

This isn't meant as a joke or anything, I do think that could be a genuine solution in your case ??‍♀️.

"Es gibt die Wahrheit, mein Lieber! Aber die ,Lehre', die du begehrst [...], die gibt es nicht. Du sollst dich auch gar nicht nach einer vollkommenen Lehre sehnen, Freund, sondern nach Vervollkommnung deiner selbst."

- Herman Hesse, Das Glasperlenspiel

@onacloudynight

First off, you don't need to find your exact life purpose to raise your consciousness. Reading a book could raise your consciousness. Being in the shower could raise your consciousness. Going out and getting drunk could raise your consciousness. Everything exists to raise your consciousness, so don't make the mistake of thinking you need to "wait".

Second, I'd ask you why do you think people care about helping the world?

It's a deep question.

When you see a Martin Luther King or Nelson Mandela or anyone who has been idolized as someone who "helped", what motivated them?

Then ask yourself: how am I currently viewing the world that's different?

What I generally find is that wanting to help the world is actually a byproduct  of you raising your consciousness.

When you're unconscious, you don't see or care how your actions affects others. You don't see that we're all essentially the same and all equally important. You don't see how purely egoic behavior is actually making you miserable. You don't see that your selfish behaviors are born out of unresolved fears. You don't see that your desire to simply take, take, take is actually the same reason why you don't get, get, get.

On 7/16/2017 at 8:02 PM, Mondsee said:

If the only thing you care about is how far you can raise your consciousness/awareness, then why don't you become a monk? That way you can have a lifestyle fully dedicated to that, and you won't need a lot of money.

This isn't meant as a joke or anything, I do think that could be a genuine solution in your case ??‍♀️.

I've seriously considered it. I just need to get rid of all my addictions.

@onacloudynight maybe they'll all go away when you're there, focusing only in raising awareness.

"Es gibt die Wahrheit, mein Lieber! Aber die ,Lehre', die du begehrst [...], die gibt es nicht. Du sollst dich auch gar nicht nach einer vollkommenen Lehre sehnen, Freund, sondern nach Vervollkommnung deiner selbst."

- Herman Hesse, Das Glasperlenspiel