John

Meditation And Life

19 posts in this topic

I was talking to a girl today in work today. She asked what I was doing when I finished up, (we both had the early shift). And I was very reluctant to tell her my plans. I knew with so many hours free in the day I would get a lot of meditation in but I didn't want to tell her that. It's really sunny where I'm from at the moment and she told me she is going to the beach to drink beer with her friends.

I planned on doing about four hours of meditation (which I completed by the way) and she planned on going drinking alcohol in the afternoon with her friends.

Why am I so uncomfortable about my meditation practice? Why can't I relate it to other people? Why did it feel in that moment that I was sentencing myself to a four hour prison session while she was going out and living life? I told her I had no plans in the end...

I think this topic goes deep so I would appreciate any feedback here.

The Delphic Oracle said that I was the wisest of all the Greeks. It is because I alone of all the Greeks know that I know nothing.

-Socrates

I mean... You could just be honest. You could had said I'm going to go mediate for four hours when I get home. You never know what she'll have to say to that unless you just do it. But man I understand where your coming from on this. Being 21 here, no one else in my life is on this path like I am, so it is hard to relate this with others. I've tried before to, most of the time they just look at me like I'm insane. You can't let this put you down though , just keep doing you. That's all you can do.

I understand where you are coming from. 

Meditation can be a sensitive thing. It is a tool we use to dig the deepest into our psyche. Deeper than we have ever been. The reason most of us end up traveling on this road is due to depression and other emotions that we view as embarrassing or negative. 

When I first started meditating I was very sensitive about it too. The thought of someone rejecting meditation felt like they might be rejecting my whole existence, my depression, my need to recover. Me... At that time. It was extremely scary to open up. 

Over time I became confident in my adventure and started having fun with it. Slowly I stopped caring what others thought and then it hit me.... I realized everyone deep down has some sort of curiosity or desire to understand the subject. Now I enjoy trying to see if I can find people to talk to about it. 

These are all stages that you will pass through. Remember nothing stays the same, even you. Especially you :)

Dont be afraid to go hang out and have fun like that if you get the feeling you should. Play is an important part of understanding how to connect to a higher consciousness. 

16 hours ago, John said:

I was talking to a girl today in work today. She asked what I was doing when I finished up, (we both had the early shift). And I was very reluctant to tell her my plans. I knew with so many hours free in the day I would get a lot of meditation in but I didn't want to tell her that. It's really sunny where I'm from at the moment and she told me she is going to the beach to drink beer with her friends.

I planned on doing about four hours of meditation (which I completed by the way) and she planned on going drinking alcohol in the afternoon with her friends.

Why am I so uncomfortable about my meditation practice? Why can't I relate it to other people? Why did it feel in that moment that I was sentencing myself to a four hour prison session while she was going out and living life? I told her I had no plans in the end...

I think this topic goes deep so I would appreciate any feedback here.

Whenever you are in bondage, there is the possibility for the instant realization, that you are not that which is in bondage and that you are liberation itself.

Question the one who feels imprisoned 

Edited by Dodo

Suppose Love is real, and let's assume reality is unreal. Suppose we discover that the building block of reality is real Love, that means our assumption was wrong and reality is actually not unreal. Reality is real, if everything we supposed is true. I'm not going to say if it is or not.

@John I get what you mean by that, i was that way at one point, but you probably want people in your life that are going to accept you for who you truly are, unless you truly want shallow unhealthy relationships. 

Great question. Is there any other area of your life where you care about what other people think about you? 

What I realised, and also discussed with other meditators, is the fear of how we are being seen by others. This is a fear that is not always obvious, but it affect us a lot. 

Be proud of your mediation! Speak your truth and you will be rewarded. 

@John I am guilty of this too. I suppose it is a fear of being judged.

"Find what you love and let it kill you." - Charles Bukowski

I usually don't say for the opposite reason lol. I dont want to sound like I am all high and mighty and don't care for being a "normal" human being,  because of my deep desire to transcend. rofl

Suppose Love is real, and let's assume reality is unreal. Suppose we discover that the building block of reality is real Love, that means our assumption was wrong and reality is actually not unreal. Reality is real, if everything we supposed is true. I'm not going to say if it is or not.

@Dodo Is you desire to transcend deep or your desire to escape? 

@S33K3R Surely if so many meditators are motivated by this originally, then it will take a long time for us to truely be present?

I would imagine that girl actually did experience moments of presence while she was on the beach with a beer in her hand because her personality allowed for it. Hers isn't a mindful one, as far as I can see, but it's light enough and easy going that the voice in her head probably does just slow down spontaneously at times and she can just enjoy the present moment. 

I have done a lot of work in my meditation to get some control over the negative voice in my head, my emotions, my self etc.. but I still feel contracted in day to day life. Like I don't enjoy it as much as others. I still can't go to the beach and just enjoy what is. Two years now of meditation and I still feel this contraction.

So, when I tell this girl I'm going to do four hours of meditation, it feels inauthentic.  It's s as though I'm telling I'm going to go and try and escape the present moment for four hours. Meditation is a diving into life, a complete presence with all of life isn't it? Why am I feeling like this?

The Delphic Oracle said that I was the wisest of all the Greeks. It is because I alone of all the Greeks know that I know nothing.

-Socrates

@John I believe you suffer from 2 things.

1. You assume everyone is the same with the same struggle. This girl is blessed with a naive quiet mind, if  she is what you say she is.  You will never be  like her.  You will have to have internal conversations and raise your self awareness to understand problems  that would otherwise drive you insane.  You must accept your position or your frustrations  will block  your progress.  You have been given a more difficult path than her. My boyfriend is like this, I had to accept our differences and most of all my obligation to fix my problem. 

2. You view yourself in a unique way. You allow your mind to imagine the negative thoughts people may or may not have about you. 

Yes people send negativity towards you, unconscious minds are primitive and do stupid stuff. They don't know why. Do this for a week or a short time for an experiment. Do not allow your mind to think about what others are thinking. Play a game where if your mind says something someone else is thiking write it down. Feel as though you have busted your mind and told on it to yourself and now you have evidence of the sabotage the mind has been planning. This will back your ego up. It will realize you are aware of what it is doing. It will fear being found out. 

Over time the ego will become quiet with these assumptions it makes about others and what they may think of you. And if the conscious one that is you chooses to not care either you will soon attain the status of not giving a fuck what others think. 

Edited by S33K3R

1 hour ago, John said:

@Dodo Is you desire to transcend deep or your desire to escape? 

@S33K3R Surely if so many meditators are motivated by this originally, then it will take a long time for us to truely be present?

I would imagine that girl actually did experience moments of presence while she was on the beach with a beer in her hand because her personality allowed for it. Hers isn't a mindful one, as far as I can see, but it's light enough and easy going that the voice in her head probably does just slow down spontaneously at times and she can just enjoy the present moment. 

I have done a lot of work in my meditation to get some control over the negative voice in my head, my emotions, my self etc.. but I still feel contracted in day to day life. Like I don't enjoy it as much as others. I still can't go to the beach and just enjoy what is. Two years now of meditation and I still feel this contraction.

So, when I tell this girl I'm going to do four hours of meditation, it feels inauthentic.  It's s as though I'm telling I'm going to go and try and escape the present moment for four hours. Meditation is a diving into life, a complete presence with all of life isn't it? Why am I feeling like this?

I want to escape and I found the best way to escape! If there is no I one day, my current illusory I will have successfully escaped :-D 

@John youre using meditation as another layer of judgment you hide behind.

Piece of advice. Try doing something else. How about going out and getting some beers as well? Dont havr to stop meditating, but cutting it down could bring more energy into your stagnant practice. What if you meditated just for 20minutes? How bad could that be? :)

Meditation is not king, total and complete embracement of oneself that is the shit. Embrace your judgements, embrace your need to escape, embrace your defensiveness.

Embrace change, embrace diversity, and embrace new things in your life.

Follow me on Instagram for quantum and energetic healing.

2 hours ago, Dodo said:

I want to escape and I found the best way to escape! If there is no I one day, my current illusory I will have successfully escaped :-D 

It never will.

3 minutes ago, Martin123 said:

It never will.

Then it is immortal, win win xD 

6 minutes ago, Martin123 said:

@John youre using meditation as another layer of judgment you hide behind.

Piece of advice. Try doing something else. How about going out and getting some beers as well? Dont havr to stop meditating, but cutting it down could bring more energy into your stagnant practice. What if you meditated just for 20minutes? How bad could that be? :)

Meditation is not king, total and complete embracement of oneself that is the shit. Embrace your judgements, embrace your need to escape, embrace your defensiveness.

Embrace change, embrace diversity, and embrace new things in your life.

I used to use meditation in this way too :) it took me so long to figure out how I was becoming stagnant. That is how our spirits are, they do not like to become stagnant if something appears repetitive something must change. 

Our spirit needs to have times of growth and times of contemplation. The growth I relate to a spiritual spring and summer time. The times of contemplation I relate them to a spiritual fall or winter. This is how I remember to embrace the changes that the spirit needs. As humans we want to classify everything black or white. There is no truth, there is no right, the only thing that is true is that change will always come. We are change. It is best to embrace the change the best we can. 

Using meditation as a barrier between the self and others can lead to social anxiety and isolation. Meditation is a tool to use, it is not who we are. 

@Dodo youre being retarded and you know it  very well my dearest friend.

I can tell by the use of your "haha" emojis. 

Just drop the act

relax your mask

relax your life and your eagerness.

And thank you because even if you dont I will alwayd relax forthe both of us so really... yourr all set and done, only one day you will wake up and wont know what happened for the past several years of your life. So truly... you just chill homie. May you be blessed with so much love and wisdom that your heart bursts into pieces that will nourish and lighten up galaxies and worlds, as all beingd ascend in your almighty beauty givinh honour and respect to your god-self, which is all.

1 minute ago, Martin123 said:

@Dodo youre being retarded and you know it  very well my dearest friend.

I can tell by the use of your "haha" emojis. 

Just drop the act

relax your mask

relax your life and your eagerness.

And thank you because even if you dont I will alwayd relax forthe both of us so really... yourr all set and done, only one day you will wake up and wont know what happened for the past several years of your life. So truly... you just chill homie. May you be blessed with so much love and wisdom that your heart bursts into pieces that will nourish and lighten up galaxies and worlds, as all beingd ascend in your almighty beauty givinh honour and respect to your god-self, which is all.

Don't be mean to retards, comparing them to me, you're super harsh to them xD 

Laughter is a medicine

6 minutes ago, S33K3R said:

I used to use meditation in this way too :) it took me so long to figure out how I was becoming stagnant. That is how our spirits are, they do not like to become stagnant if something appears repetitive something must change. 

Our spirit needs to have times of growth and times of contemplation. The growth I relate to a spiritual spring and summer time. The times of contemplation I relate them to a spiritual fall or winter. This is how I remember to embrace the changes that the spirit needs. As humans we want to classify everything black or white. There is no truth, there is no right, the only thing that is true is that change will always come. We are change. It is best to embrace the change the best we can. 

Using meditation as a barrier between the self and others can lead to social anxiety and isolation. Meditation is a tool to use, it is not who we are. 

That is very well said. Thank you sir you be epic.