Joseph Maynor

What Is The Difference Between Monkey-mind And Ego

94 posts in this topic

3 minutes ago, Joseph Maynor said:

I think there's a balance there you can find with this work.  And that's what the wisest people find.

Unfortunately I never found the balance, either I can live meditatively or I can live non-meditatively. I don't know any other way.

@Emerald And you just like Leo are making a career teaching this stuff which means you are always gonna be up to your eyeballs with the theory.  You're never gonna be able to escape it.  That's a hindrance to your growth paradoxically.  I've advised Leo before to just take like 2 years off and go live somewhere where there are no books and just practice.  Purge the ideas from his awareness.  And just be.  Like a fisherman fishing on a boat.  Still as a Japanese pond.  Being a teacher causes you to hit a glass ceiling with personal development because, paradoxically, you ensure you will never be able to do this.  You stunt your own growth by necessity because you are always clinging clinging clinging to notions and theories.  It's like your mind is being stung by biting flies all the time.  What you really need to do is -- at a certain point -- is to get rid of those flies.  And let your mind heal.  And go be at peace from all those ideas.  Like detoxing from them in a way.  I never thought of it like that before until now.  Because you are teaching this stuff, you are like a carbonated soda all the time, boiling-over with so many concepts, neurotically being mastered to teach other people who are at lower stages of personal growth than you are.  You are reaching down all the time instead of up.  You gotta cut that cord at some point and realize that the teacher is the true Bodhisattva, the martyr.  She foregoes nirvana for herself to help others.  That's a high price to pay though, and you might want to consider the costs of this.  The person who achieves nirvana decides to cut the cord and take that selfish act.  Let others fend for themselves at a certain point, and set your self free.  It must be done.  Martyrdom is too costly a strategy in the long run.

Edited by Joseph Maynor

3 minutes ago, Joseph Maynor said:

And you just like Leo are making a career teaching this stuff which means you are always gonna be up to your eyeballs with the theory.  That's a hindrance.

May be they are finding a balance with this work , as you have suggested earlier !

Edited by Prabhaker
spelling mistake

23 minutes ago, Fidelio said:

Oh, she didn't insult me. It is literally impossible--I have no ego that can be offended or insulted.

Eating-Popcorn-Soda.gif

Sarcaste <3 the Sarcasm in Me acknowledges and honors the Sarcasm in You 

@Zephyr He's full of it huh?

I love this saying -- Are you gonna trust me or your lying eyes?

One of my favorite sayings✌?

Edited by Joseph Maynor

In answer to the thread topic.. there is no difference. Neither are real.

enlightened no one

www.enlightenmentmyth.com

2 hours ago, Fidelio said:

It feels very real to people experiencing their egoic selves.

The difference is one is primal and baser, and the other is programmed. A monkey obviously has monkey mind, but it has no ego. I bet Emerald knew all this already ;)

I would venture that 'a monkey mind' in the post didn't refer to the actual animal monkey.

enlightened no one

32 minutes ago, Nichols Harvey said:

Brilliant. This is true.

Anyone see a monkey mind around here? Lol

Emerald for example?

This seems to have a forum history behind it.

enlightened no one

@Nichols Harvey

"Can we stay on topic please?

It's incredibly rude and actually disrespectful to derail Dan's thread with an unrelated grievance."

Didn't you say this above ^ just yesterday? But, now here you are derailing talking about Emerald.

Also, you haven't said a word to @Fidelio about derailing either. So, it's ok to derail as long as you're interested and/or participate?

"Do as I say, not as I do"...got it.

Edited by Anna1

“You don’t have problems; you are the problem.”

– Swami Chinmayananda

Namaste ? ?

@Anna1

11 minutes ago, Anna1 said:

@Nichols Harvey

"Can we stay on topic please?

It's incredibly rude and actually disrespectful to derail Dan's thread with an unrelated grievance."

Didn't you say this above ^ just yesterday? But, now here you are derailing talking about Emerald.

Also, you haven't said a word to @Fidelio about derailing either. So, it's ok to derail as long as you're interested and/or participate?

"Do as I say, not as I do"...got it.

Lol.  Consistency is a beast!  I love it!  Do as I say not as I do.  And living inconsistently is violating ones integrity too.  It's  self-induced harm.  A peeing in the pool of one's self esteem basically. Just thought I'd chime in and add that.  

Edited by Joseph Maynor

18 hours ago, Emerald said:

I recommend The Red Book and The Undiscovered Self from Jung. The Red Book is really the basis for all of Jung's other work, where he interacts with various daimonic forces in his own psyche. It's a dense book but it really gives you an idea of how his theories came to fruition. I've also read a ton from other authors working under the Jungian model which I found to be very relatable. My favorite Jungian author is Jean Benedict Raffa. I also have read things from June Singer, Maureen Murdoch, Monika Wikman, Jean Shinoda Bolen, Robert Johnson, and John Stanford which were really beneficial to me in varying degrees. 

But I'm not really lonely persay, other than the natural loneliness that comes with ego-identification. It's just that the path changes as you go along it. There is a saying that goes something like (paraphrased) "At first there are rivers and mountains and trees. Then there are no rivers and mountains and trees. Then there are rivers and mountains and trees." So, each phase of the journey is different from the other. So, if you are new to the path, don't feel bad or get discouraged when you lose interest in things that have been vital to you in the earlier stages of the journey. Allow yourself to resonate with what you resonate with for a time, and then let go of it when you no longer resonate with it. Trust your intuition and flow with it to whatever resonates and feels expansive.

Thank you very much, makes me think of the Francis Bacon quote "Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed, and some few to be chewed and digested". I agree with the demonic forces within a persons own psyche, an apriori knowledge.

Why feel you have to respond to so many posts? I remember listening to an essay by Carl Jung on youtube, about the use of masks to avoid being absorbed into the collective unconscious, perhaps through ego. Maybe like many celebrities, "You are not your job" Fight Club. I've been thinking about the function stack for personality types. Intuition being like "use the force" or "Zen" an unconscious process. INTP ex Intuiton, in Thinking.

21 hours ago, Emerald said:

The only time in my life where I was truly at peace and loved myself, was when I experienced ego transcendence. I don't really have the luxury of not taking it too seriously because I know that's the only way that I'll ever really feel okay. I know it is the only thing that will ever give me what I have been seeking for in my entire life. When I experienced ego transcendence, I realized that I had always been seeking it all along through many different endeavors including career goals. I'm unfortunately stuck in the middle of the pipe. I can neither transcend the ego nor can I take my search for ego-transcendence more lightly. I sometimes wish that I had never experienced it, simply because I'd be a lot more successful right now. I had huge ambitions before those experiences. But the ambitions were what was causing me so much suffering, and I saw it clearly without the ego there. Now, I still have ambitions, but I don't take them all that seriously. I try to let go of the need to be seen as somebody or to leave some legacy. But I still enjoy doing things that I like. 

Maybe you are looking in the wrong place for what you want.  Or maybe your idea of the end result is wrong.  Consider those possibilities too.  I find you to be very successful right now Emerald.  You're doing exactly what you need to be doing with your life right now, heavy personal development work.  And you're practicing contribution heavily too by contributing to others' growth, helping them along on their paths. Pretty awesome life.

Edited by Joseph Maynor