ambush

The pursuit of wealth at the sacrifice of artistic interest

1 post in this topic

I have recently started reading the book "How to Get Rich" by Felix Dennis, courtesy of Leos book list. I have never actually put any real effort into making money besides working a job like most people. So far the book is quite interesting and I like the way the author writes. At one point he lists a bunch of reasons why you should put down the book because in his words "you will never get rich". One of those reasons is "If you have artistic inclinations and fear that the search for wealth will coarsen such talents or degrade them, you will never get rich (because your fear, in this instance, is well justified)". When I first saw that I re read it like 5 times for whatever reason and now it's got me stuck a little.

I'll be honest and tell you that I am not some well practiced artist of any kind really, that said, I have interest in writing and creating stories. This business stuff isn't really my forte but I see it more as as means to a secure life then something I do for fun which is creativity. I have recently bought the life purpose course, and although I am pretty sure writing is the thing I am meant to do, I am gonna do the life purpose course anyways because I trust in the value it can bring to my life. All this to say, It feels as if the author is basically telling me I must throw all that  shit out the window if I want to get rich. I was wondering, those of you who have got rich, what is your experience with this. Do you feel like you are too busy to pursuit creative things? Is it one or the other? Can I have my cake and eat it too? haha. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now