Dan Arnautu

Share Your Best Movies/documentaries/shows For Growth

15 posts in this topic

I'm gonna start:

• Interstellar (for expanding your mind and realm of possibilities)
  • Unbroken (for persevering in the toughest times)
  • The Theory of Everything (Love)
  • The Imitation Game (learning about how the computer came to be)
  • The Intouchables (how social status and any other superficial things mean nothing in your interaction with other human beings)
  • V for Vendetta (sacrifice)
  • 8 Mile (crawling your way up from point 0)
  • Arrival (expanding your mind)
  • Pumping Iron (inspiration to work towards your vision)
  • Schindler's List (how one can make an impact on 100's of people's lives)
  • The Intern (staying positive and active in old age)
  • Hacksaw Ridge (willingness to make sacrifices for a cause you believe in with all your heart)
  • Gandhi (treating all people like parts of yourself / the futility of violence)

These are just a few. Let's hear yours. ;)

Edited by Dan Arnautu

”Unaccompanied by positive action, rest may only depress you.” -- George Leonard

Pretty nice list @Dan Arnautu
The Theory of Everything and Schindler's List are also impactful movies for me :)

Hollywood movies :

Collateral Beauty - The profound connection we all have
Dead Poets Society - Seize the day and be yourself, not what society expects us to be!
A Quiet Passion - What was she searching for? What was she writing about ?
Into The wild - What was he searching for ? 
Kung Fu Panda (1,2,3) - Poo' s path to enlightenment along with many Buddhist teachings 
Eat, pray, love - Realizing the external won't be enough, and sometimes all it takes to know yourself is to leave your comfort zone and what you thought you needed.
Vicky Cristina Barcelona - a different point of view on what love is :o
Alice in wonderland - Nothing is impossible. Did Lewis Caroll know that we are living in dream ?
The Shawshank Redemption - How much can you handle to be alive? What's the worst that can happen to you and how do you react ? 

YouTube documentaries: 

Samadhi movie - Maya, the illusion of the self 

The sacred geometry movie

The reality of truth

Inner world outer world

Many enlightened beings speech

Leo's videos :)

''Firmness in Love" 

@Dan Arnautu

Oh, haven't you seen The Buddha from TBS? Very easy to find.

They talk in buddhist language and are very precise, eloquent and metaphorical about the Buddha's quest for the truth. A great soundtrack as well

There's also a film/doc about a woman, a photographer which cannot speak. It's about how we interact with different projections and level of consciousness. I'll throw in a line, if I remember it.

@Dantas @Dizzy Interesting picks! Thanks for your input!

”Unaccompanied by positive action, rest may only depress you.” -- George Leonard

Most of the films are listed here already. However there are a few Bollywood films which are equally entertaining and positive. So if you can arrange for subtitles you might wanna checkout-

Zindagi na milegi dobara (about living life to the fullest)

sultan (about getting up when life knocks you down.. but you can skip this one of you like) 

3 idiots (which is about following your passion)

Queen (finding one's true worth.. umm it's more about a woman who moves on her honeymoon all alone after her fiance calls off the wedding)

Dangal (based on a true story, about finding a way out of the problem, and not really caring about society)

PK (interesting take of an alien on the world and religion especially)

--

Also I enjoyed watching How to train your dragon series, Wild starring Reese Witherspoon, The Walk and Into the wild. I don't know if they necessarily promote 'growth' but they're worth watching.

@Vaishnavi I've watched 3 idiots. It really shines a new light on the educational system.

These two go hand in hand:

• The Matrix (all 3)
  • Inception

They REALLY opened up my mind. From these movies (and before I knew about Actualized.org) I came to the concept of "ABSOLUTE 100% certainty and ABSOLUTE 0% certainty does not exist." It can be 99.99999999999%, but the 0.00000000001% is still there and no matter how small, it is still a POSSIBILITY.

The Fountain - I'm very emotionally connected to this movie because I watched it like 2 days after my first not-sure-if-enlightenment experience.

I can recommend anything by Alejandro Jodorowsky, especially The Holy Mountain. The best movie about enlightenment I've seen and one of the most grotesque, mind blowing, awe-inspiring and excruciating movies out there. Expect being blown away. :D

Also I am a fan of Stanley Kubric (check 2001: A Space Odyssey, Eyes Wide Shut and Clockwork Orange), the Wachowskis (Matrix, Cloud Atlas), Charlie Kaufmann (Being John Malkovich, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, Anomalisa), Ken Russell (The Devils) and also Christipher Nolan (Interstellar, Inception, Prestige, Memento). 

Edited by TimStr

12 angry man ( understanding how something that seems so true can be wrong even though it has a lot of proofs)
Forrest gump ( consistency  and hard work works even though you're not smart enough)
city of god ( how environment shapes most of people)
the usual suspect ( how deceptive are the situations we face)
Leon (there is no black and white in ethics ,its gray)
Intouchables ( true friendship)

REVOLVER by Guy Ritchie.

5 years ago, I saw that movie, and the journey began.

It was the first time I had EVER considered that the voice in my mind may not actually be my true self.

Collateral beauty

I origins

K-PAX

In-Time

Groundhog Day

as for TV shows Stargate and Star-trek and many sci-fi in general have some amazing episodes on spirituality(Growth in general)/truth we aren't taught in school and media. Children's TV shows and movies have a lot of hidden messages of truth and wisdom like Avatar for example.

B R E A T H E