The White Belt

Jordan Peterson V Osho

25 posts in this topic

Just been checking out this guy Jordan Peterson.

He seems real cool, I like his talks and he seems to be into a wide range of topics.

One of the things he talks about a lot is setting goals and setting a coherent philosophy of life that you follow.

I've been feeling a bit down lately and confused. I think it can be a lot to do with being so vague in life and this notion of 'paralysis by analysis'.

But you have Osho on the other hand, who says if you set goals in life you will end up on a psychotherapists couch. 

This messes up my head.

Am I confusing the contexts here? Not zooming between big and small picture? 

Whats going on here?

“In the beginner’s mind there are many possibilities, but in the expert’s there are few” 
― Shunryu Suzuki

I would listen to the guy with the most Rolls Royces

;)

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

@The White Belt It's an egoic thing. An ego without goals would probably be more miserable than an ego who has goals that it is working towards.

Without an ego there is no goals, how could there be? Having goals would mean there is a future and the egoless state is all about the present moment.

@Leo Gura Haha! Seriously though, am I missing something here? I'm doing the LP course, I will need to make goals to get this of the ground, but these thoughts about letting it all flow is messing me up! 

@WelcometoReality I understand. Based on what you're saying, I guess it's context.

Edited by The White Belt

“In the beginner’s mind there are many possibilities, but in the expert’s there are few” 
― Shunryu Suzuki

Lol! Been there my man! Just pursue enlightenment and your life purpose. Goals are not inherently wrong but the problem comes when we attach our happiness to them and depend on them to feel happy. 

For practical purposes, just treat them as separate lines of development. Like Ishi said - and I'm paraphrasing: the whole man is called Zorba The Buddha, is whom he pursues and enjoy the material pleasures of life (have an amazing career, amazing dating life and what have you) and its grounded in his consciousness. 

The real sages lived amazing lives and made huge impacts in society. Osho owned 100 Rolle Royce, Ralston was the first westener to win the martial art championship, Buddha taught the Dharma for 60 years and Sadhguru is having a great impact in millions. 

My YouTube Channel: https://bit.ly/2PSLrNb

@Juan Cruz Giusto Thanks dude,

― Shunryu Suzuki

Figure out what it is that will fulfill you and seek that. Just taking advice from people without the context of your own life is useless.

It's not just about finding someone who has what you seek in fulfillment and following their advice because different people have different ways accomplishing the same thing.

Discovering the methods and techniques that work for us just as important discovering what fulfills us. If we don't understand the ways wes effectively work it won't help to understand what fulfills us.

So it comes down to understanding ourselves not just in who or what to listen to.

4 hours ago, The White Belt said:

Am I confusing the contexts here?

Osho was a dangerous man. His teachings are for the people who are ready to risk their lives for search of truth. 

Osho said:

There are certain basic necessities which should be fulfilled; there is a hierarchy. First your bodily needs should be fulfilled; then your psychological needs should be fulfilled. Only then for the first time you become hungry for spiritual experiences. And this is the hierarchy: bodily needs first, then psychological needs second, and only then spiritual needs. What I can give to you concerns your hunger for spiritual growth. If it is not there, I cannot create it. If it is there, I can show you the path.

Only a rich being can have some connection with me. A certain sensitivity is absolutely needed, a certain vision is needed. 

A poor man is one whose mind is retarded – he may have immense wealth; that does not matter – who cannot understand classical music, who cannot understand poetry, who cannot understand philosophy, who cannot understand the high flights of human spirit. Yes, one of the dimensions of poverty is a man who cannot even produce money. He is the poorest of the poor, because money is such a mundane thing. If you cannot create it, you simply show that you don’t have intelligence enough.

I can attract only those people who are very talented, immensely intelligent, very rich in some quality of life. Only from that angle of richness will they have a connection with me.

Edited by Prabhaker

@Leo Gura could you tell why? i have no idea yet who Osho is or his teachings but i guess i will look into it, but i follow Peterson for about a year now and viewing his maps of meaning course at the moment i love it. so as i also devoted quite some time to your video's now i wonder why you prefer Osho over Peterson.

I love his philosophical lectures but they're hard to sit through because they're too long,

1. Only ONE path is true. Rest is noise
  2. God is beauty, rest is Ugly 

@Loreena This might be a dumb suggestion, but have you tried writing down the time then coming back to it later? That's what I do. :P

Edited by username

Just now, username said:

@Loreena This might be a dumb suggestion, but have you tried writing down the time then coming back to it later? That what I do. :P

hmmm. I didn't get, Do you mean to say to watch the video in parts or segments and write down whatever he says.

@Loreena Like you're watching a 2:30:00 video and make it to 48:15 before you want to quit, write down the time stamp of 48:15 then come back and watch it later.

Just now, username said:

@Loreena Like you're watching a 2:30:00 video and make it to 48:15 before you want to quit, write down the time stamp of 48:15 then come back and watch it later.

oh yeah, that's a great suggestion. I'll try this. I had always wanted to watch the entire length of his lecture.

Osho is trying to put an eastern spin on western logic. He is trying to explain the western mindset of endlessly pursuing materialistic goals and the resulting frustration caused by not achieving them. That brings misery. But setting goals for essential things in life doesn't seem to be a bad idea. I try to make peace with both concepts. The best way is to find a middle ground. Everything is not black and white but grey, at least imo. So I'd try mixing materialism and spiritualism and balance both. taking anything to the extreme eventually and inadvertently turns detrimental.

@Juan Cruz Giusto

11 hours ago, Juan Cruz Giusto said:

made huge impacts in society. Osho owned 100 Rolle Royce

What the hell..................................why? 

why does a guru have a 100 uber expensive cars? how suspicious is that? that Osho guy is turning into a curiosity for me especially with the amount of popularity he has on these forums i definitely HAVE! to figure out why he is so popular here.

1 hour ago, Steph1988 said:

What the hell..................................why? 

I think thats the reaction he is after. 

@Steph1988 not because you are enlightened you will have your shit together. I love Osho and his books are deeply inspiring, but he definitely had some personal issues that he couldn't solve... Don't mistake spiritual development with psychological and personal development.. They are different and have a very loose correlation

My YouTube Channel: https://bit.ly/2PSLrNb

@Steph1988 They were gifts from all over the world apparently. 

It just became a 'thing', rich people would send him more and more rolls royces. 

Nothing wrong with it. I doubt he lost sleep like neurotic people would, over the possibility of his cars being scratched outside.

― Shunryu Suzuki