Khin

Nirvana Vs Enlightenment

16 posts in this topic

I personally define Enlightenment as Nirvana. But I'm not sure what other people think of between those two. What do you guys think of Enlightenment and Nirvana?

100% agree. Nirvana is the end of all suffering. Becoming enlightened is the end of all suffering (you still feel pain when it's there but you don't suffer any more). So I would say it could be used synonymous.

Basically the same.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

5 minutes ago, Pinocchio said:

How do you define Nirvana.

As Enlightenment :P

RIP Roe V Wade 1973-2022 :)

To me Nirvana = Heaven, which, if you've ever had an enlightenment experience, is exactly what it feels like. The whole world becomes heavenly and divine. Even all the "bad" stuff appears good.

Nirvana is what occurs when the illusion of ego get's shattered (enlightenment).

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

I always preferred Wu-Tang over Nirvana.  And I mean that both as a joke and as a metaphor.

Edited by ayokolomo

@Pinocchio Oh, I meant just as in Language definition. :) Just to make sure we are on the same page. I was just afraid that people might misunderstood when I meant to say Enlightenment as Nirvana.

Yes, it is. It means internal peace. That's what we all have - peace as the only emotion internally. All the other emotions - fear, anxiety, sadness, anger, lust, etc., are all created and conditioned by us ever since childhood. Happiness means peace, but we interpret it as excitement, which is only temporary. 

Knowing this, we know that we are "2-faced," our true-self which is peace and our false-self, the ego (all the human emotions we created). If we continue to choose our peace side, we are better able to focus on important things, such as life purpose and family.

btw Khine, I like your profile pic of Shwedagon Pagoda of Myanmar. 

Edited by Key Elements

Heaven, Nirvana and Enlightenment are pretty much the same, they're not cloud 9 after all - the temporary fun house

Yes, I can see that. I also feel that enlightenment is not only understanding the reality for Leo. He meant to say it as Nirvana when he says enlightenment. But for most people I know, enlightenment only means the understanding of reality. If that's the case, then Leo's an enlightened one. LOL

@Leo Gura Leo that's good. But if you have another experience like that this time, ignore it. Instead, try to look who is knowing that so peaceful moment. (You might already know) If that didn't happen, you must have been enlightened.

Edited by Khin
adding

Nirvana is when everything drops away imo. Even the "I am"-consciousness with all it's qualities and states, be it love, bliss, pure consciousness, emptiness, unity, oneness, god or anything like that. My search is not over to be honest, but I have had enough experiences to know that different states in the realm of "I am"-consciousness is not Nirvana, however divine, heavenly or blissful it might seem or how "that's it!" or euphoric you feel. But I might also be wrong. Maybe even very wrong.

Edited by Toby

My Nirvana is fishing. While it tickles the ego because it's the mode of acquisition of "things", you don't know how many "things" are there under the water. There's a sense of not knowing what awaits you, and of course not really caring, because it's the process of fishing that's important, the journey. It's all about the journey.

Edited by Neo

On February 16, 2016 at 5:30 PM, Leo Gura said:

To me Nirvana = Heaven, which, if you've ever had an enlightenment experience, is exactly what it feels like. The whole world becomes heavenly and divine. Even all the "bad" stuff appears good.

Nirvana is what occurs when the illusion of ego get's shattered (enlightenment).

For me enlightenment is experiencing who you really are. In essence. You become pure light and pure love. It is also the transformation process that comes after. Nirvana or paradise is the bliss, the ecstasy, the state of mind, the realization and the peace that you get and stays with you every single day of your life after enlightenment.