Something Funny

Is indie game development a legitimate life purpose?

8 posts in this topic

I feel like it could be really fun, and creative, and I could create something beautiful, but on the other hand I wonder if my life purpose should be something more real and should have more impact on the world.

You can make indie games with the purpose that they have a positive impact on the world.

11 hours ago, Something Funny said:

I could create something beautiful, but on the other hand I wonder if my life purpose should be something more real and should have more impact on the world.

Some may argue that videogames can be more real than normal life. Especially in like 10-20 years when VR starts popping off, the boundaries between real and virtual will be blurred. Also I have been very impacted by games. I would not be the person I am today without Minecraft

Posted (edited)

@Phil King how were you impacted by minecraft?

Edited by Something Funny

1 hour ago, Something Funny said:

how were you impacted by minecraft?

I made some of my closest friends on minecraft. The community around a game is almost as important as the game itself, and minecraft at its peak had one of the best communities, especially on YouTube.

Also just the general creativity of being able to create whatever you want in an infinite sandbox I think helped me develop some creative skills + attention span. I remember working for weeks with friends to build towns and castles. Its hard to say because I basically played the game since I was 10, but I think it definitely had an impact on my creativity and also a deeper appreciation for architecture.

Red Dead Redemption 2 also had an impact on me. I know thats not an indie game and had like thousands of people working on it, but I think its a good example of how videogames can surpass movies as a storytelling medium where you can actually be in the story and change the outcome

Sure

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

Posted (edited)

@Leo Gura but even in your newest video you've said that young people are wasting thousands of hours playing video games, and how this is problematic. 

If I became a game developer, I would be contributing to this issue, right? Even if it was a beautiful, artistic game.

Edited by Something Funny