WaterfallMachine

Newbie Here. What's The Purpose Of Enlightenment?

86 posts in this topic

@Prabhaker I thought you meant that in a different context.
I am an extremely naive person.

So who are you then?  I'm kind of curious.

@Prabhaker Oh my god dude, how fucking long have you been quoting Osho?  Lmfao! xD Hahaha!

Just now, Annetta said:

Oh my god dude, how fucking long have you been quoting Osho?  Lmfao! xD Hahaha!

I have mentioned many times that I post wisdom of Osho. Should I change my master ?

@Prabhaker No dude. do whatever you want, I'm just surprised is all. 

Just now, Annetta said:

I'm just surprised is all.

I don't think it is a news for you. You know that I always quote Osho.

@Prabhaker What I mean is, I looked you up online and I am surprised at how prominent this person is in your life.  Is that person actually you, or did you construct them as a persona years ago?

1 minute ago, Annetta said:

Is that person actually you, or did you construct them as a persona years ago?

Which person ?

3 hours ago, Annetta said:

@Prabhaker Oh my god dude, how fucking long have you been quoting Osho?  Lmfao! xD Hahaha!

At least since 2009 it says on twitter :D

"Maybe aliens is sitting somewhere up there looking at this at like a video feed and jerking off to it. You don't know!" - Leo Gura, 2018

I just woke up, made a cup of decafe coffee and checked the forum. Wow-what did I miss???  Prabhaker is who else? What's all this have to do with Osho?  Is Anna1 the same person as Annetta?  

Reality seems to have morphed since I went to bed last night. Who is who today? Can I be Leo? This is a trip! Great way to start the day with a reality check- there is none!:D

@cetus56 But Leo...

"Maybe aliens is sitting somewhere up there looking at this at like a video feed and jerking off to it. You don't know!" - Leo Gura, 2018

6 hours ago, cetus56 said:

Is Anna1 the same person as Annetta?

No

On 4/17/2017 at 3:47 AM, Fidelio said:

This is not exactly true. The "purpose" of awakening is to end suffering in yourself and others. This is fundamental in both Buddhist and Hindu teachings.

You've made the sort of mistakes that now have me wondering if you're one of Annie's 200 sock puppet accounts. I thought I recognized most of them, but she manages to fool me with new ones all the time lol

It is true that enlightenment ends 'suffering'.. But when it comes to spiritual path, certain attitude is required.. Seeing enlightenment as a means to an end will not work and it will actually delay one's enlightenment. If A causes B, it doesn't mean the purpose of A is to cause B... The word 'purpose' implies enlightenment is something that you achieve..  Purpose is only in a person's mind, it is tied with intention. Intention is tied with karma. Enlightenment is all about getting rid of karma.

Shanmugam 

Subscribe to my Youtube channel for videos regarding spiritual path, psychology, meditation, poetry and more: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwOJcU0o7xIy1L663hoxzZw?sub_confirmation=1 

I don't have any sock puppets... :( 

@Fidelio I agree that initially the quest to end suffering is what motivates people to pursue spiritual enlightenment... But there comes a point where even the desire for enlightenment itself becomes a barrier to enlightenment...

It is not a question of right or wrong... By logical reasoning, it is correct to say that the purpose of enlightenment is to end suffering.. If you read my reply again, what I said was about the 'attitude' one should have... Logically,  It may be right to say that the purpose of enlightenment is to end suffering, but seeing enlightenment as a purpose for something is not really a right attitude to have.. At some point, you will have to stop seeing enlightenment as a means to an end.. 

I don't parrot anyone.. I speak from my own experience..

Shanmugam 

Subscribe to my Youtube channel for videos regarding spiritual path, psychology, meditation, poetry and more: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwOJcU0o7xIy1L663hoxzZw?sub_confirmation=1 

1 hour ago, Shanmugam said:

. Intention is tied with karma.

@Shanmugam The ego has to start somewhere though. First with an 'intention' to break the bonds of self into liberation?

But what your sharing here is that even the intention to break those bonds has karmic implications that must be payed also?  Karma being like borrowing money with interest.  But the faster you try to pay it off, the more interest is accrued?.:D

@cetus56 Yes.. Even the intention to break the karmic bonds created suffering... But it is that intention that starts the spiritual seeking in the first place.. It is a paradox in spiritual life, but it is not a problem.. 

The Pali word for intention is 'Cetana', the most significant mental factor involved in the creation of karma.. Everyone starts spiritual seeking with an intention (to end suffering). But at one point, the whole spiritual seeking continues without the factor of intention.. 

Shanmugam 

@Anna1  As I was reading this thread, I couldn't stop laughing.... :D I am the one who is posting in the other forum in the name 'borris'...Leave the pure guy Prabhakar alone :D.. And thanks for making me laugh... The funniest joke I have come across after a long time...

Shanmugam 

I shall remember 'Cetana'. It is similar to Cetus  'the monster' -ego, desire, intention