Phil King

Recurring Dream of Me Beating Up My Dad

8 posts in this topic

Over the past month, Ive had like 5 dreams where I am beating up my dad is some form (Kicking, punching, slapping him, etc). Does anyone have any experience with dream interpretation and know what this means? I kind of have a strained relationship with him because I hate any advice he gives me about my life or future, but Ive never had a physical altercation with him.

Posted (edited)

19 minutes ago, Phil King said:

I kind of have a strained relationship with him because I hate any advice he gives me about my life or future

If this runs on your mind regularly it will turn into a dream until you absolve it or transcend it emotionally. Meaning, your desire to hate or move away from him dissipates. Not because you forgive him or want to be with him, but just because it becomes unimportant, and so you stop ruminating over it. Dreams are created from thoughts and desires you ruminate on in the waking state. I am not saying that you are wrong or right for ruminating over it, but this is how you get rid of the dream if you want that.

Edited by Osaid

"God is not a conclusion, it is a sudden revelation. When you see a rose it is not that you go through a logical solipsism, "This is a rose, and roses are beautiful, so this must be beautiful." The moment you see it, the head stops spinning thoughts. On the contrary, your heart starts beating faster. It is something totally different from the idea of truth." -Osho

Father - Son relationship is a complicated topic throughout human history. Many feel your struggle, it would be good to share some nice materials here, unfortunatelly I have none at the moment.

These kinds of relationships take a lot of time and work to heal. Patience and seeking support is helpful.

“I once tried to explain existential dread to my toaster, but it just popped up and said, "Same."“ -Gemini AI

Posted (edited)

@Phil King one good way to get some quality answers in shadow work is by asking hypothetical questions, even if they're not factually true, and see what comes up.

The question for yourself here would be "Why do I want to beat up my father"? And answer it as if it was true

Anyways,  family is the strongest gravity center for your old self. They always remind you of how you were before, therefore they reinforce it.

It's not evil or on purpose, it's just most likely they've know you your entire life and In their eyes you're always the old kid.

that's one perspective. Let me know if you resonate with that or feel free to add any additional relevant information , I'm sure we can provide plenty of insightful perspectives

Edited by mmKay

🗣️🗯️  personal dev Log Lyfe Journal 🗿🎭 ~ Raw , Emotional, Unfiltered

I apreciate everyone who responded 

3 hours ago, Osaid said:

If this runs on your mind regularly it will turn into a dream until you absolve it or transcend it emotionally

This is probably the main cause. I find myself almost getting into imaginary arguments with him which in turn effects my emotional state. I need to work on letting go of any need for approval of others.

3 hours ago, Andrey said:

Father - Son relationship is a complicated topic throughout human history.

Very true. Ive heard people say that the story of the father is embedded in the story of the son, where the son is reacting against the perceived failure of his father.

1 hour ago, mmKay said:

one good way to get some quality answers in shadow work is by asking hypothetical questions, even if they're not factually true, and see what comes up.

The question for yourself here would be "Why do I want to beat up my father"? And answer it as if it was true

Thanks, Ive never really tried shadow work because it can be painful and emotionally laborious. Thinking on that question, I guess I want to beat him up because he doesnt respect my values and I feel like he is trying to put his dreams and aspirations on me, even though they would never suit my personality type. Like he has suggested that I go to law school, or get a PhD, or get some government job, but someone who really knew me would know that I would despise academia and any type of job that wouldnt allow me to express myself.

1 hour ago, mmKay said:

it's just most likely they've know you your entire life and In their eyes you're always the old kid.

This is also a big one. I feel like Ive grown and matured like 2 decades in the past few years, but my parents do not really recognize that and still treat me as if Im an incompetent child. Really what I need to do is have a real conversation and express how i really feel and what I really want to do with my life

Posted (edited)

@Phil Kingmaxresdefault.jpg

As someone who dreams extremely intensely every single night, to the point where I get disoriented in the morning, I feel that. I've had a couple dreams like that with my father. 

When I think about it now it's incredible to me is the ability for consciousness to imagine stories and feelings of reality that have you so bought in. Consciousness can imagine your reality to be so much more different if you can allow it. 

Edited by ZenSwift

I forgive my past, I release the future, and I honor how I feel in the present. 

@Phil King A part of you feel like your father has authority and power over you and you want to be sovereign. It might have been Freud who said that you have to kill your father to become a man. Meaning symbolically, meaning energetically.

The road to God is paved with bliss.