Shawn Philips

Introverts, do you feel physically tired after social events?

8 posts in this topic

I'm naturally intro, and yesterday I went to a friends birthday with 9 other people.

Usually I like to be alone and only speak the necessary, so I'm not accostumed to so much social contact.

I stayed there for 3 hours, listening and trying to conversate with others but my brain got everwhelmed by so much stimulation, content and stories.

When I arrived home my mind was stunned and energetically drained like if I had been hiking a mountain all day.

Do you know how to prevent that? Or it is natural for introverts to be drained and recharge batteries in solitude?

13 hours ago, Shawn Philips said:

Or it is natural for introverts to be drained and recharge batteries in solitude?

Yep, this pretty much sums up introversion.

Would you want to prevent feeling exhausted after a day of hiking?

Is because of energetic debilitation. You are not comfortable enough around them.

Used to happen to me that a lot because i would be doing a theatre/interpretation of a character around them. Being false is fucking tiring. 

It doesn´t have anything to do energy or introversion. In fact introversion is an identity you are playing. 

Edited by Javfly33

Proper socialization builds energy, it doesn't drain you. It's an evolutionary biological fact . Let me know if you want me to explain further 

Sounds like an issue of lack of social experience and being too stuck up your own aS$

Owen Cook does a good job of explain why socializing may fatigue you:

Persona fatigue: burning mental energy on maintaining a facade, appearances , trying to impress and look cool

Decision making fatigue: being uptight and micromanaging interactions rather than than going wherever spontaneity takes you

Judgement fatigue: obsessively mentally judging yourself , your words, your actions. Having unhealthy disempowering beliefs about yourself, thinking you're boring, overestimating how much other people think about you, overestimating the importance of other peoples opinion of you and their approval, etc.

Lemme know if any of that sounds familiar to you

Sometimes I spend entire weeks without talking with anyone as I enjoy alone time for thinking, writing and music, but I have deliberatery learned how to properly socialize 

I have spent 17 years of my life playing  World of Warcraft and other games for 16 hours at a time and being extremely cripplingly shy, but with a little theory and a lot of practice you can learn this skill.

What you're explaining is not what introversion means. It's a factor but nowhere that black and white. But introversion can have these accidental unwanted consequences in our modern world.

You "recharge batteries in solitude" because you're taking not experiencing these fatigues

Edited by mmKay

World's #1 Spiritual Twerking Coach 🍑

You have to look for little successes that you have during your social interactions. Focus on them and improve.

For your social mistakes, you can reflect and see what went wrong. Make an attempt to improve as well. 

Also focus on your goals. If your goals is to make more friends or even to make more money, then tell yourself these social talks are not useless and they can improve you one way or another. Then you won't feel social interactions is a chore.

i wo't say i do. i talk with people but don't feel tired. i do't really like people that much. i do my own thing. people are odd. i reckon i didn't do or was assertive enough when young and didn't get "it". i probably didn't beat somebody up or something. I don't feel drained but i can just go and do my own thing if needs be.

On the days I go out to chat people up, I start the afternoon with bookstores and cafes, when the cafes close I go to loud bars, and when the last bars here close at 2 AM I come home and listen to metalcore with screaming at max volume for at least another hour.

This is my routine unless I get along with someone I've chat up very well.

I kind of agree with the notion that proper socialization doesn't drain you. I can talk for hours with my mate and only feel energized from it. But I personally never have felt energized from socializing with a group and I'm also pretty introverted as a person.

It might be in part a skill issue. If you are more experienced with socializing, it'll be more effortless.