bmcnicho

Should I be Concerned about Never Coming Back from a Trip?

28 posts in this topic

I know that theoretically no matter how deep and crazy a trip gets, normal mental functioning is supposed to reassert itself when the chemical is no longer present.  There may be lingering destabilization in some cases, but you’re supposed to resume existing as a human, because when used responsibly these substances are physically safe.

But I’m wondering if it’s possible for your consciousness to be permanently severed from the regular causal processes of this world, such that you go somewhere else and never come back to this human life.

Yesterday, I took 3 grams of golden teacher mushrooms with 200 mg of harmine hcl.  Things started off similar to previous trips, but then at the peak I blacked out for about 5 minutes and it felt like being erased from existence.  

Waking up from that is extremely strange, because while my memory returned quickly, it seemed like a bunch of stories I had in my head that I had no connection to.  There was a discontinuity from my past self, as if I had just emerged in that moment from the cosmic void.

I’ve done about 20 trips so far, and it seems like my sensitivity increases a bit each time.  Maybe the experience of death and rebirth is a key component of higher dose mushroom trips, but it’s very unsettling and terrifying for me.  Maybe the key is to surrender completely, while I always want to maintain an aspect of stability.

So is coming back guaranteed?  Because it actually feels like ceasing to exist rather than simply memory loss, falling asleep, or the classic ego death where you feel at one with the landscape.  Maybe I should lower my doses for awhile, and focus on practical insights, because I still have a lot more to learn.

Notice how there are parts of yourself that you no longer entertain or associate with and it’s no problem. For example, I used to be a Catholic as a kid and teenager. But now I don’t go to church or do any of the religious practices. It doesn’t concern me at all.

“I once tried to explain existential dread to my toaster, but it just popped up and said, "Same."“ -Gemini AI

2 hours ago, bmcnicho said:

when used responsibly these substances are physically safe.

This is false.

They can seriously injure you, even if you follow all the rules.

And yes, they could kill you.

So don't be a fool.

Edited by Leo Gura

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

@Leo Gura Yeah, I remember when my doctor initially prescribed me medical cannabis. The dose I was initially prescribed was way higher than I could handle. Took years of trial and error to find a dose that works for me. Start small.

“I once tried to explain existential dread to my toaster, but it just popped up and said, "Same."“ -Gemini AI

I think the likelihood of not coming back/ having a psychotic break goes up significantly with higher doses. These definitely shouldn’t be treated casually in my opinion as that seems to be a common denominator a lot of the time for people who lose their minds. Increase your doses gradually, have a trip sitter, and go into it with a clear mind. Also, mixing multiple substances can be dangerous as well.

there was a big incident at the college I went to during my last year when two roommates were taking a bunch of acid mixed with a bunch of other substances. One of them got stabbed close to 47 times by the time it was over.

I do think it’s far more likely to injure yourself or die on large doses from falling over and hitting your head or choking on your own vomit (if psyches make you puke).

23 minutes ago, IronFoot said:

One of them got stabbed close to 47 times by the time it was over.

Stabbed by what and by who?!

32 minutes ago, Yimpa said:

God ;)

57 minutes ago, IronFoot said:

I do think it’s far more likely to injure yourself or die on large doses from falling over and hitting your head

Yes, be very mindful about that.

8 hours ago, Yimpa said:
8 hours ago, Yimpa said:

Some girl named Luisa Cutting stabbed her roommate with an assortment of kitchen knives and a meat cleaver. When I googled it again it seems she was actually on shrooms and cocaine. There’s a lot of opinions going around on what she actually was on.

she was likely suffering from a bunch of other mental disorders leading up to this. This is a small university so everyone kind of knew of each other, and that’s what people were saying. There also might have been some drama going on between the two of them as well, but it’s hard to determine what is a rumor and what is fact.

that just kind of solidified for me the importance of not tripping if you aren’t in a good mental spot in life or if you have any mental health issues. That and mixing substances and taking large doses seem to have a higher likelihood in a disaster. Once you are experienced you may be able to mix some things and take larger doses, but you should treat it like a calculated risk if you do that.

https://www.wsls.com/news/2019/10/07/radford-student-accused-of-stabbing-roommate-returns-to-court/

Edited by IronFoot

13 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

This is false.

They can seriously injure you, even if you follow all the rules.

And yes, they could kill you.

So don't be a fool.

A student of Ram dass went full solo to a cave when Ram was in India. He was found dead after taking LSD with blood on the walls.

His Guru (baba Naomi) said he attained Mahasamahdi after his parents asked about that.

What do you think?

On 2/22/2024 at 1:02 PM, LSD-Rumi said:

A student of Ram dass went full solo to a cave when Ram was in India. He was found dead after taking LSD with blood on the walls.

His Guru (baba Naomi) said he attained Mahasamahdi after his parents asked about that.

What do you think?

I’ve always been curious if this would be possible while on Psychedelics. Everything I’ve Read about Mahasamahdi seems to state it’s only possible once someone has reached full god realization/ enlightenment. I feel like psychedelics usually only take you to this state temporarily and it seems rare for someone to exit a trip as some sort of zen master.  If you are only enlightened when under the influence of psychedelics but not the rest of the time, are you really enlightened? and would a temporary state of God Realization be enough to reach Mahasamahdi? I’m sure if you took enough (like the 30 day solo retreat) you could probably increase the chances of this happening, but that doesn’t seem applicable to most of us. But honestly, I’m not really sure. 

I have read over 1000 trip reports. If someone would never come back I would have read somewhere.

I don't think it's possible. Only if you are already in some kind of very dement state maybe like coma.

On 2/22/2024 at 10:02 AM, LSD-Rumi said:

What do you think?

How could I know? Sounds like one of those urban legends. Ram Dass is fond of such stories and I don't find them convincing.

2 hours ago, OBEler said:

I have read over 1000 trip reports. If someone would never come back I would have read somewhere.

Lol

If you don't come back, there won't be a trip report.

And yes, I have read reports of people who just flat out died from one dose of 5-MeO-DMT. You never know how a chem will interact with every unique genetic variation.

Edited by Leo Gura

@Leo Gura there would be not a trip report from the tripper but friends/tripsitters would know and some of them would write about it.If you plan to take a strong dose you will inform others normally (your partner at least) so such a case would not be unnoticed. 

I read also that people died from 5 Meo after their first time due to allergic reaction. But I think this topic starter has a different kind of question. Like you go spiritually so deep you never come back. Having an allergic reaction or suddenly hitting your head on a table because you lost balance is always possible on any substance and I think it is out of question that people will die in such a way.

Edited by OBEler

1 hour ago, Leo Gura said:

Lol

If you don't come back, there won't be a trip report.

:D:D

30 minutes ago, OBEler said:

there would be not a trip report from the tripper but friends/tripsitters would know and some of them would write about it.

I doubt that the relatives of people who died from psychedelics post about it on Reddit or Erowid.

Edited by Leo Gura

It's obviously possible to die in a lot of ways, but even worse, it's possible to return, but not "fully", as in never returning to a stable base line and basically staying stuck in insanity. My dealer told me about a friend of his that got raided by the cops and had to eat two entire blotters of LSD. Apparently he went insane and is in the psyche ward to this day.

I've actually been to a mental hospital before for my depression and I got a lot of chances to talk to the people in the closed ward their. Quiet a few of them were actually in there because of psychedelics. Their realities were real fluid and constantly shifting. Like I was talking to this one woman that thought that I was 3 separate people over the course of a single convo. We couldn't hold a linear conversation as her reality constantly kept shifting. Her reality seemed as inconsistent as a nightly dream.

So yes, there are people who have never returned from their trips, in that they've never been themselves again. That's why it's important to respect psychedelics as you use them.

beep boop

When I woke up on Ayahuasca during a ceremony, I was offered a chance to exit the game of life now that the whole jig is up.

I declined it due to various reasons, and I believe the vast majority of people who were offered this option made the same choice.

But I do believe there were brave souls who accepted the offer and got out.

These are not the people who would write trip reports. First, as Leo said, they wouldn't exist to write anything. Second, they wouldn't care to. I think these are the ones with extraordinary mental capabilities. When one is on this level, he wouldn't be interested in impressing people on Reddit or Erowid.

Re: Reading 1000 trip reports.

You can read a million reports of people's meditation for example, but calculating by probabilities, you likely won't find a single one of them describing enlightenment. That's why a lot of the psychic experiments failed, because for these kind of things, you can't go by quantity, only people who are extraordinarily determined or gifted or both will have meaningful achievements in this realm.

Edited by YogiRoamer

On 22-2-2024 at 4:24 PM, IronFoot said:

Some girl named Luisa Cutting stabbed her roommate with an assortment of kitchen knives and a meat cleaver. When I googled it again it seems she was actually on shrooms and cocaine. There’s a lot of opinions going around on what she actually was on.

she was likely suffering from a bunch of other mental disorders leading up to this. This is a small university so everyone kind of knew of each other, and that’s what people were saying. There also might have been some drama going on between the two of them as well, but it’s hard to determine what is a rumor and what is fact.

that just kind of solidified for me the importance of not tripping if you aren’t in a good mental spot in life or if you have any mental health issues. That and mixing substances and taking large doses seem to have a higher likelihood in a disaster. Once you are experienced you may be able to mix some things and take larger doses, but you should treat it like a calculated risk if you do that.

https://www.wsls.com/news/2019/10/07/radford-student-accused-of-stabbing-roommate-returns-to-court/

Nobody actually died, at these levels of consciousness the imagined reality got simply imagined to split time frame/dimension. And yes i did my own mahasamadhi with only 3 tabs of 100ug p1 acid, just how you see the world with open eyes i was looking at my own heart.

During high states of consciousness its important to control your mind as your mind will become a remote controller for reality

And to answer OP, yes its possible to never come back as you can get stuck in a different consciousness level , so be careful

Edited by Jowblob

ONLY LEO IS AWAKE