Ryan_047

A Question

15 posts in this topic

Does meditation cure past childhood unresolved trauma?

48 minutes ago, Ryan_047 said:

quote-there-is-no-coming-to-consciousnes

Edited by Shin

God is love

Whoever lives in love lives in God

And God in them

1 hour ago, Ryan_047 said:

Remember one basic law: anything that is complete drops, because then there is no meaning in carrying it; anything that is incomplete clings, it waits for its completion. And this existence is really always after completion. The whole existence has a basic tendency to complete everything. It does not like incomplete things –  they hang, they wait; and there is no hurry for existence.

If you are conscious, you can watch.Move backwards. Every night for one hour before you go to sleep, move into the past, relive. Many memories by and by will be unearthed. With many you will be surprised that you were not aware that these things are there – and with such vitality and freshness, as if they had just happened! You will be again a child, many things will come. Move slowly, so everything is completed. Your mountain will become smaller and smaller – the load is the mountain. And the smaller it becomes, the freer you will feel. A certain quality of freedom will come to you, and a freshness, and inside you will feel you have touched a source of life.

For example .– Close your eyes; again be the child who has committed something, done something against the father, wants to be forgiven but cannot gather courage – now you can gather courage! You can say whatsoever you wanted to say, you can touch his feet again, or you can be angry and hit him – but be finished! Let the whole process be completed.

1 hour ago, Ryan_047 said:

Does your question pertain more to the value of forgiveness("unresolved") or something else? Please explain the "unresolved" part.

@TJM1959 No.I am apathetic,and I heard Real Swan saying that shadow work will work for persons that are dealing with apathy.She also said that the apathetic people have unresolved childhood trauma.

There is no childhood trauma now. you are now. the only thing that is real is what you are experiencing now. Reading these words on your screen is all that exists. You are just perception, it's not your trauma.

Easier said than done, childhood trauma is truly horrible. I hope you feel well and wish you happiness in life.
Mediation is just a tool, in itself it doesn't really guarantee a cure for trauma, it will help you realize what i said and that may be the cure.
Meditation on just perception, just being, just what is going on right now, there is already nothing missing now reading this, can be deeply releasing.

Watch if you want to learn more about what i said. Leo has a good video. Paul takes it a step deeper, linked in another post here by @jse

@zazed it is actually not true. If you break it down, trauma is something that is stored in the body, here now. Ok, maybe the story is not important, maybe it's not important what something is or isn't called or defined as but what arises is what arises. And certain "symptoms" just are trauma symptoms, e.g. if you meditate and there is uncontrollable rage/anger or fear or spacing out/dissociating or collapsing/depression or freezing or overwhelment or if something releases maybe shaking/trembling. It is good to know some signs and how everything fits together on that level.

Edit: there are a lot of people that meditate for decades that have not resolved certain traumas in them. And there are even a lot of people that are awake and they also haven't dealt with or resolved most of their traumas. Believe it or not.

Edited by Toby

Meditation does passively resolve the traumas of the body but if you want to overcome the roots of your apathy I suggest that you take an active as well as passive approach.

It seems to me like you are after something more active and penetrative. I suggest The Presence Process by Michael Brown. 

2 hours ago, Ryan_047 said:

No.I am apathetic

Here's the thing, you can and most likely care deeply but why we might have a sense of apathy is because we see no opportunity, events lie outside of our control, a sense of obstruction, because we cannot connect we then begin to show signs of not giving a damn. Not convinced it has a link to childhood trauma bit it may be symptomatic and a result of a social condition. We were taught to be apathetic, it is all around us. Myself, I sometimes just don't give a flying fuck, I care deeply but don't invest any energy or time into an event or situation. Maybe that's more resignation? Nah, I just don't give a fuck and I'm ok with that.

@Toby You are right, it's why i said, easier said than done.
In the end you can't fight trauma, you can't go in there and destroy it with a hammer.

It's best to deeply realize it's in the past, and that it has no control anymore over life in the now. Just accept it as a story in the head of something that happened once. Meditation can help realizing this with proper technique. Learning to live in the now, and stop worrying about past/future can also help.

Acceptance is the only solution really. You can't change the trauma, you can't forget the trauma, you can't make it a good thing, it just is what it is, a horrible thing that happened one time. The memory of it is here now, it will be here tomorrow, and it will be here in 50years, forever part of us. The only positive thing, is that it's gone, it's not happening now. The memory of the trauma is not the trauma, it is only a memory we tell ourselves repeatedly. Best to just drop the burden and carry on with life, it is the only solution really. But that takes a lot of work to realize. And until we do, the mind will keep revisiting it and placing unjust importance on the story about it, especially if it results in physical behavior without thoughts. 

I've had a trauma as a child, its nothing truly horrible like violence. I was a wide eyed intelligent child, always paying full attention in class. So i was looking intensely at the teacher, paying full attention as a good student. As she suddenly burst out "Why are you looking at me like that, are you in love with me or something!". The entire class started laughing at me, the teacher joined them, and i felt so ashamed, i could die. I thought i did something wrong, i was like 9, i didn't know. After it, whenever i noticed myself looking at someone, i forced my self to look away. It's a pure body reflex now, ingrained over years of practice. My parents were divorcing that year, so my mom probably never realized the sudden change in me, even today she doesn't know, probably thinks i'm just weird like that. I was like 17, when i realized it was abnormal, when i learned making eye contact is important during presentations. I was baffled at that time, at first i didn't believe it,  it's actually required!? It's probably a big reason for all the bullying i underwent too, can you imagine a silent kid, always looking away from everyone in the playground?

If i have to make prolonged eye contact today more than 20years later, i'll still flinch and look away most days because of the trauma. Emotionally, it means nothing to me anymore, but i sure wish i could make longer eye contact. It would help my social life and my career, eye contact is an important skill, but I'm getting better every day. Tho I've found nothing to help with the physical component, i have accepted it and am quite happy with life.

Depending on how crippling it is, it may be best to search for a therapist. If it's not a life crippling trauma, some meditation and studies about enlightenment and the human mind, may be enough.

Just sitting down, closing our eyes, and crossing our legs, does not guarantee anything. There is nothing inherently "healing" about sitting that way. We are then just sitting in a weird position doing nothing.
So when people say, will meditating solve x, it's actually an incomplete question. We don't know what @Ryan_047 means with meditation, and it can mean so many things.

26 minutes ago, zazed said:

If i have to make prolonged eye contact today more than 20years later

Try for fun meditation with 2 persons opposeing each other and looking in each others eyes. I can create very funny moments.