Davino

Blog Post: Protect Your Ears!

10 posts in this topic

There is a high quality brand called Loop Earplugs, I have been very satisfied with their product.

I bought the Loop Quiet, which offers the best noise reduction in the market for earplugs (26dB) for just 20€

Take into account that each 3dB is double cancelation noise due to the logarithmic scale. So in comparison with the Etymotic, they have 4 times more noise reduction.

I use the Loop Quiet for sensory deprivation and meditation, they are comfortable and functional. They also have options adapted for partying that you might consider: Loop experience and Experience Plus (same but 5dB more than the normal). It is said that many DJ use them at nights, as it is designed to keep the whole musical spectrum while protecting your ears. Comfortable and made for moving your body and sweating!

They have other products that you could be interested in, here is the link: https://www.loopearplugs.com/collections/all

I don't like to promote things but I'm very happy with the product and I know many people can benefit, so here it is. 

Bonus: If you are into sensory deprivation consider trying Mindfold mask, designed by artist and psychonaut Alex Grey for his LSD trips.

14 hours ago, Davino said:

Take into account that each 3dB is double cancelation noise due to the logarithmic scale. So in comparison with the Etymotic, they have 4 times more noise reduction.

Messed it up in the calculations. I woke up today and my mind said nope that's not how it's done have you forgot everything from unviersity.

Errata Notice:

So Loop Quiet is 26 dB and Etymotic 13dB. This is the formula: Times more powerful=10^(dB difference/10)

dB difference=26dB−13dB=13dB

Times more powerful=10(13/10) 

Calculating this, you get:

Times more powerful≈20Times more powerful≈20

Let's test it,

10log(x)=13dB; We inverse calculate that  x≈20

If the formula is correct we should get 10log(x*20Times more powerful)= 26dB; Is this the case? 10log(20*20)=26dB   Yes

Let's try with the method that I tried to use before, given that each 3dB is double noise cancelation (as 10log(2) = 3dB) and knowing that the dB difference is 13dB.

We'll divide it by 3 to know how many times it is doubled. 13/3 = 4.33 That's the result I gave which is wrong because this is how many packs of doubling not the doubling itself. 2^(4.33)≈20Times more powerful

Also you need to take this into account, the loop quiet earphone with 26 dB of noise cancellation is approximately 20 times more effective in reducing unwanted noise compared to the Etymotic with 13 dB of noise cancellation. This is a measure of the devices' relative effectiveness in attenuating or reducing ambient noise, not a statement about the perceived volume of the sound. One is objective and the other is subjective.

Sorry for the error, dB is a bit counterintuitive. 

@Davino If you're using this for pickup the point is not to maximize noise reduction. Moderate reduction is all you need. This is not like going to a shooting range.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

42 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

@Davino If you're using this for pickup the point is not to maximize noise reduction. Moderate reduction is all you need. This is not like going to a shooting range.

There was one metal concert I went to. I saw some guys in headphones trying to protect their hearing. These guys also told that one of the performers is a very good audio engineer. But acctually the sound of the performance objectively sucked because the speakers were fucked by the venue already. Meanwhile some of the most experienced musicians I saw (that i recognized locally that attended the event) they had no hearing protection. Strange, isn't it.

Edited by Applegarden8

@Applegarden8 some musicians simply don’t give a fuck, such as Dave Grohl. Obviously, not recommended to live this kind of lifestyle unless you’re Dave Grohl.

“I once tried to explain existential dread to my toaster, but it just popped up and said, "Same."“ -Gemini AI

Jeffy recommends going to your ear doc and saying you want the custom molded ear buds for music festivals. He said you actually hear people better over the music 

200 ish bucks

If you ever forget them and you're in the club, tear up and  roll up some cocktail napkin and plug your ears with it

Edited by mmKay

World's #1 Spiritual Twerking Coach 🍑

Take two sets of pilot radio headphones to the club and hand the girl you're interested in the other pair, should be quite the pickup tool.

640.jpg

Edited by Devin

4 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

If you're using this for pickup the point is not to maximize noise reduction. Moderate reduction is all you need. This is not like going to a shooting range.

I don't use them outside my home but I know that you listen much better to people while having them in the disco. Also your ear adapts to the sound while having them on, ear is peculiar, it balances subjective hearing level to medium after a while. You don't subjectively hear as strong the music when you enter the disco than just before leaving, the same way with earplugs, it all ends up balancing itself, both in the highs and the lows, but with earplugs no physical damage is produced while subjective experience remains good. It all sounds a bit twisted but 1 direct experience and you get all of this and more

Edited by Davino