bebotalk

American conseratives....

18 posts in this topic

I question the intelligence of American conservatives. They follow Trump, even though he caused Jan 6th, and is currently under both criminal and civil proceedings.

They believe in baseless conspiracy theories, and often have literal 1950s societal and medical knowledge in many fields. 

What causes this?

I think this is not about the intelligence but rather belief sets. Like any parrent American parrents teached their children an universe model which parrents belive it is  the categorically right model, so their children are operating in that model without questioning their father's or mother's stance, nothing fancy. This happens in everywhere and  every culture so people  can follow anyone and justify any ideology. This is not something special to American conservatives.

1 hour ago, Sucuk Ekmek said:

I think this is not about the intelligence but rather belief sets. Like any parrent American parrents teached their children an universe model which parrents belive it is  the categorically right model, so their children are operating in that model without questioning their father's or mother's stance, nothing fancy. This happens in everywhere and  every culture so people  can follow anyone and justify any ideology. This is not something special to American conservatives.

I disagree. people often question what they're taught. Humans are not automatons. There are many Americans who were raised as politically conservative but ventured into other ideologies. 

3 hours ago, bebotalk said:

I disagree. people often question what they're taught. Humans are not automatons. There are many Americans who were raised as politically conservative but ventured into other ideologies. 

They question for quality of life improvements, which is a technical process, but there is also a spiritual process this is where we don't raise serious questions. 

For now we are not automatons, we still have some spiritual identity.

Especially in America many people ventured into other ideologies yet from my understanding nothing good come from it. Well I am not from USA so if something good did come for you guys, my apologies.

3 hours ago, Buck Edwards said:

Democrats tend to engage in divisive politics. Conservatives generally side on the truth. 

Trump is a controversial figure. Some things are bad about him. But when he says most Americans are facing a desperate economic situation, I don't deny him. 

Which truth do they side with? 

2 hours ago, Sucuk Ekmek said:

They question for quality of life improvements, which is a technical process, but there is also a spiritual process this is where we don't raise serious questions. 

For now we are not automatons, we still have some spiritual identity.

Especially in America many people ventured into other ideologies yet from my understanding nothing good come from it. Well I am not from USA so if something good did come for you guys, my apologies.

People often question their formative belief systems. That's really a standard part of maturity, in psychological and emotional terms. 

4 hours ago, Buck Edwards said:

Truth of any given situation. They don't do pandering for popular vote. 

I disagree, conservatives are mostly idealistic and religious minded. They might appear to be truth seekers in some cases, but what they really want is to believe that the old world view still works and things should stay as they are.

Most democrats are pragmatic and think in way that works objectively. I would say democrats are more realistic in this sense. However their disregard of moral standards and new ways of thinking about old values upsets conservatives.

5 tenants of conservatism

1. God ✝️

2. Guns 

3. Fear of change 

4. Less taxes 

5. Racism 

Lol

But fr tho, one reason is conservatives tend to be lesser educated 

https://www.pewresearch.org/politics/2016/04/26/a-wider-ideological-gap-between-more-and-less-educated-adults/

There's actually a direct correlation, the less educated someone is, the more likely they'll be conservative. 

Edited by Jacob Morres

6 hours ago, Jacob Morres said:

5 tenants of conservatism

1. God ✝️

This seems like a good thing. God fearing people. 

2. Guns 

Not bad if you consider self defense. Although gun control laws are essential. You'd realize the importance of guns if you were mugged and shot in an alley. 

3. Fear of change 

Not that bad either. Change is not always for the better. 

4. Less taxes 

Great!! 

5. Racism 

This is a creation of the Left. Not everyone is racist on the Right. Racists can even exist on the Left. Have you seen how many black people can be racist to whites? Racism goes both ways. 

13 hours ago, ted73104 said:
18 hours ago, Buck Edwards said:

Truth of any given situation. They don't do pandering for popular vote. 

I disagree, conservatives are mostly idealistic and religious minded. They might appear to be truth seekers in some cases, but what they really want is to believe that the old world view still works and things should stay as they are.

Maybe the new world is better for some people, not for others. Some people like change, some don't. It's a matter of perspective. 

On 12/6/2023 at 7:57 AM, bebotalk said:

I question the intelligence of American conservatives. They follow Trump, even though he caused Jan 6th, and is currently under both criminal and civil proceedings.

They believe in baseless conspiracy theories, and often have literal 1950s societal and medical knowledge in many fields. 

What causes this?

If you want an actual answer to the question (as opposed to a place to vent about the portion of Americans who are hurtling us towards a possible Trump dictatorship in 2024), I'd recommend checking out Jonathan Haidt's 'The Righteous Mind', where he gives an explanation of how liberals and conservatives form the moral intuitions which are the foundation of thier politics and worldview.

To massively simplify for the sake of brevity, he identities five basic foundations for morality that have been universals throughout human societies. They are: Care, Fairness, In-Group Loyalty, Authority, and Purity. He also demonstrates that the 'point' of these moral foundations isn't to make a just or equitable society so much as to allow us to live together as social animals and have functioning societies that can compete against other groups.

Liberals tend to put more emphasis towards Care and Fairness as thier moral foundations. While conservatives tend to put more emphasis towards In-Group Loyalty, Obedience To Authority, and Purity as the foundations of their morality.

Not hard to see how the moral intuitions behind conservatism make consecutives more susceptible to things like the racism, conspiracism, and cult behavior we're seeing in the MAGA movement.

Edited by DocWatts

I'm writing a philosophy book! Check it out at : https://7provtruths.org/

@bebotalk

On 2023-12-06 at 0:57 PM, bebotalk said:

What causes this?

When the system disenfranchises, demonizes and dehumanizes a group of people, with their own developmental like Spiral Dynamics stages of development by Don Beck, cognitive and moral development, personality types/traits by Myers Briggs, 9 stages of ego development by Jane Loevinger, Integral Theory's other lines of development, and ideological beliefs indoctrinated.

4 hours ago, DocWatts said:

If you want an actual answer to the question (as opposed to a place to vent about the portion of Americans who are hurtling us towards a possible Trump dictatorship in 2024), I'd recommend checking out Jonathan Haidt's 'The Righteous Mind', where he gives an explanation of how liberals and conservatives form the moral intuitions which are the foundation of thier politics and worldview.

To massively simplify for the sake of brevity, he identities five basic foundations for morality that have been universals throughout human societies. They are: Care, Fairness, In-Group Loyalty, Authority, and Purity. He also demonstrates that the 'point' of these moral foundations isn't to make a just or equitable society so much as to allow us to live together as social animals and have functioning societies that can compete against other groups.

Liberals tend to put more emphasis towards Care and Fairness as thier moral foundations. While conservatives tend to put more emphasis towards In-Group Loyalty, Obedience To Authority, and Purity as the foundations of their morality.

Not hard to see how the moral intuitions behind conservatism make consecutives more susceptible to things like the racism, conspiracism, and cult behavior we're seeing in the MAGA movement.

yes, I am interested, hence why I asked it. Assuming this is a vent is pretty comical. as is using some "scoping" to try and gain others' intent to feel "above them". 

On 12/6/2023 at 4:57 AM, bebotalk said:

What causes this?

The right-wing media, racism, xenophobia, fear of multiculturalism, lack of education, anger over not having a good financial life, and an unusually strong conservative beliefs.

16 hours ago, Hardkill said:

The right-wing media, racism, xenophobia, fear of multiculturalism, lack of education, anger over not having a good financial life, and an unusually strong conservative beliefs.

So conservative beliefs cause conservative beliefs. 

On 12/6/2023 at 7:57 AM, bebotalk said:

What causes this?

Indoctrination with the victim mentality, 'blame the government', 'blame .... whatever', they're inundated with fear of the world since birth, this exacerbated by widespread cognitive dissonance and dishonesty in their communities as the norm, they all deceive each other, live in constant fear of all kinds of stupid stuff.

I live in a conservative area and work with boomers and it's almost all they talk about, they're like scared hermits, they're scared of the world, Trump is their white knight, their savior, gonna take all their candy back from the boogeyman for them, the more the world shits on him the more they see themselves in him.

Edited by Devin