Verg0

How to start coaching?

15 posts in this topic

Hey there, 

So I started to do the iPec coach training program. It's great. 

One question that came up for me is: 

How to I start to offer my coaching service to the world? 

I really wanna learn, practice and master the skill of coaching, and one of the best ways to do that is to actually start coaching people.  But I'm a bit afraid that I'll not be able to provide the value that I want to provide.  (Eventhough I've heard only massively positive things about my coaching skills and presence) . How to decide when the right time has come to start offering it to the world. What other ways are there to actually practice the skill of coaching / to create learning fields? 

Should I be asking for a small fee from the beginning?  (E.g. 1500$ for a 3 month program) or start for free? (Many people say, and I agree, that people who take on free offers often don't appreciate the actual service and are not committed enough to follow through on what comes out of the sessions.) 

Would love to hear your thoughts about this! 

(Also to fellow coaches on here: How did you start in the beginning?) 

A good start is figuring out the demand for the service. Who isthe ideal customer and what is the USP are also important points to consider. 

You perhaps offer initial free sessions which are snippets of the real platform. And dependent on the service you're providing, you can perhaps offer free sessions to people similar to your target market. Say for instance a person is offering career coaching or is a personal trainer, they can offer points to college students or school leavers, or ask friends and family if they would take up a course and offer objective feedback. 

Does IPEC have a module and coaches to help you with that?

"Unburdened and Becoming" - Bon Iver

◭"89"

If the drive is:

- Artistic/Purpose/Passion (Love/Truth First): Offer value first (based on what YOU want/Love) then draw customers through experience/skin in the game/reputation

- Business (Money/Results First): Look for "opportunities" in the marketplace where you can seize market share

Start by practicing in front of the mirror and coaching yourself, observing yourself coaching. 

“I once tried to explain existential dread to my toaster, but it just popped up and said, "Same."“ -Gemini AI

@bebotalk

On 10.12.2023 at 0:41 PM, bebotalk said:

A good start is figuring out the demand for the service. Who isthe ideal customer and what is the USP are also important points to consider. 

You perhaps offer initial free sessions which are snippets of the real platform. And dependent on the service you're providing, you can perhaps offer free sessions to people similar to your target market. Say for instance a person is offering career coaching or is a personal trainer, they can offer points to college students or school leavers, or ask friends and family if they would take up a course and offer objective feedback. 

Yes, I need to get more clean on my ideal client. And maybe even on my coaching package. There are two different approaches:

Designing a process that takes them from A to B (clear transformation) or client led work (the client leads and is deciding what they wanna work on). 

I do offer free sessions at the moment to practice and people are actually willing to try it out! (That´s amazing!) All came through my social media channels (which is targeting people who are kind of in the area of my niche). Two out of three want to focus on other areas in their life than my field of expertise (which is helping people work with psychedelics in a mature and responsible way for Self-Actualization and Self-Realization).  I'll see how that flows, as it's about the skill of coaching it's fine I guess. 

On 10.12.2023 at 4:36 PM, Thought Art said:

Does IPEC have a module and coaches to help you with that?

@Thought Art  Sure they do. It's an overwhelming amount of content, resources and training they provide. But the webinars are gonna be hosted weekly over the next few months, so there is no access to some information as of now. Otherwise I am practicing with peer coaches and a mentor coach through the program, which is really empowering and helpful. I just wanted to do even more :) 

On 12.12.2023 at 4:39 AM, Dauntment said:

If the drive is:

- Artistic/Purpose/Passion (Love/Truth First): Offer value first (based on what YOU want/Love) then draw customers through experience/skin in the game/reputation

- Business (Money/Results First): Look for "opportunities" in the marketplace where you can seize market share

@Dauntment   I've been building the fist path now for a few years. Giving giving and more giving. Out of Love.  It's a slow path but I can almost smell that results and also financial return in just around the corner! (Finally!)  And also: it feels best to combine both! 

On 13.12.2023 at 5:35 AM, Yimpa said:

Start by practicing in front of the mirror and coaching yourself, observing yourself coaching. 

@Yimpa  Nice idea! 

Did that on LSD the other day :D 

@Verg0 I guess just be patient and take it one step, one class, one module at a time.

"Unburdened and Becoming" - Bon Iver

◭"89"

Start coaching all your friends for free.

Text all your friends and extended family, offering them free coaching.

Coaching is not about giving people advice, it's about asking them powerful questions.

Edited by Leo Gura

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

32 minutes ago, BlessedLion said:

@Leo Gura Can you speak more on that?

If you want advice ask detailed questions.

@Verg0 Hello! What an amazing path you have chosen. The world needs this medicine.

A bit from my own journey: 

I did my ICF training back in 2018 - I started charging  right after I qualified. A good amount is 1,500 dollars for three months - this is a good amount that  most people can afford and calls them in to some level of commitment in their lives. As you continue practice, you'll enroll people in greater levels of commitment to work with you for 6 to 12 months. You can have a great business that makes six figures with a handful of clients.

Please read this book: The prosperous coach by Rich Litvin.

The way I have built my business is through serving my ass off - I was part of several networking clubs in my city, ton of workshops and use LinkedIn a lot.

Eventually, my business has grown organically though referrals and word of mouth. Up to today, the first conventions I have with people is free of charge because I want them to have an experience with me and of what coaching can do for them. I'm always in an abundance of service and conversations.

Over time, you can have a nice business that grows more organically, based on how solid your coaching will become, you'll get more referrals and clients will continue to renew with you.

If you private message me, i happy to send you some PDF´s, resources that I created thought the years and have supported me greatly in all the things you mentioned, including creating clients.

Love,

David

https://www.david-medina.com/

https://www.linkedin.com/in/david-medina-leadership/

8 hours ago, BlessedLion said:

@Leo Gura Can you speak more on that?

8 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

If you want advice ask detailed questions.

Now, GPT-4 said:

Absolutely! If you have any specific topics or questions in mind that you'd like advice on, feel free to share them in detail. This will help me provide more tailored and useful responses. Whether it's about a particular interest, a challenge you're facing, or just general curiosity, I'm here to assist you.

“I once tried to explain existential dread to my toaster, but it just popped up and said, "Same."“ -Gemini AI

7 hours ago, Greatnestwithin said:

Please read this book: The prosperous coach by Rich Litvin.

I definitely trust a guy named Rich to make me rich!

25 minutes ago, Yimpa said:

I definitely trust a guy named Rich to make me rich!

I am writing a money-making book under the pseudonym: Dick McPoor

@Thought Art  Yeah, I guess I noticed a bit of impatience.  Trusting the process is key. 

@Leo Gura Aye captain!

@Yimpa  Well ... Rich seems to be quite rich :D

@Greatnestwithin  Thanks for sharing your story David!! I'll coach a bit more for free and then start with the 1500$ for 3 months model. 

"serving my ass off" resonates a lot with me at the moment. It's hard, but also feels like the right path. 

I'll buy the book from Litvin, I've just recently discovered him through YouTube actually!! 

It's very kind that you offer to share the resources that have helped you! I would love to recieve them.