OBEler

Leo's pc

54 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Bobby_2021 said:

Uncle Bill is interested in your data. :P

You can disable that crap.

I am not confident enough to build my own yet.

It's quite easy. The instruction manual for the motherboard tells you how to connect everything up. And then all you need is to install the OS from a USB drive.

Running the OS in the SSD drive would degrade it significantly faster (more write operations).

Current SSDs are so good that this isn't an issue. You can use an SSD for 6+ years without any degrading. Samsung Pro SSDs are solid as steel, so don't worry about it.

Edited by Leo Gura

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

I had build my own PC 15 years ago. 

I used this PC just for a few month because I also bought a Laptop which is waaay more confortable. 

So I really ask why Do you need an high end PC today. Because gaming is better on Ps5. 

31 minutes ago, OBEler said:

Because gaming is better on Ps5. 

In what world sir! (jk) , personally i think gaming is much better on  a pc (with the whole capability of a pc + better environment for gaming ), however ps5 is only for playing exclusive games .

for anyone worrying about backdoors in your computer's firmware, there's something called libreboot which is open source firmware that you can flash to your firmware card.

libreboot.org

3 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

You can disable that crap.

sweet summer child

windows always phones home no matter what you disable, and the security of windows is stinking garbage

Edited by Bandman

3 hours ago, OBEler said:

I had build my own PC 15 years ago. 

I used this PC just for a few month because I also bought a Laptop which is waaay more confortable. 

So I really ask why Do you need an high end PC today. Because gaming is better on Ps5. 

This spec is pretty normal for 4k video editing which Leo probably does a lot. 

There are people who get threadripper pro or i9 latest gen that's truly insane. I cannot think of a use case for such unless you are into some hardcore research or production grade modelling or AI. 

5 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

You can disable that crap

Not going to be enough.

Also get yourself a good anti virus software, just in case you want to be perfectly safe. Windows Defender will crumble in case malware creeps into your system. Although less likely these days. 

That's the problem man. With windows there are always more and more softwares that you need to run, to make up for the vulnerabilities which is, infact created by having a large bloated OS to begin with.

There is going to be ant malware executables, data extraction mechanisms and if you are backing up your files they are going to constantly run in the background.

I recently switched to Linux Mint for that reason. 

6 hours ago, OBEler said:

Because gaming is better on Ps5. 

Isn’t this a matter of preference?

On 23/11/2023 at 9:53 AM, Bandman said:

sweet summer child

windows always phones home no matter what you disable, and the security of windows is stinking garbage

On one of my virtual machines, Edge and Onedrive are uninstalled, and lots of services are put to Manual so that they aren't running in the background except when needed, thanks to a debloat tool.

Understandably, Windows and macOS has some basic telemetry services built-in. How bad is it for Windows? Especially if Windows 12 starts getting serious with web tech and Copilot...

On 23/11/2023 at 11:57 AM, Bobby_2021 said:

Also get yourself a good anti virus software, just in case you want to be perfectly safe. Windows Defender will crumble in case malware creeps into your system. Although less likely these days. 

That's the problem man. With windows there are always more and more softwares that you need to run, to make up for the vulnerabilities which is, infact created by having a large bloated OS to begin with.

I recently switched to Linux Mint for that reason. 

Do you game on Mint? If so, how's that going?

12 hours ago, UnbornTao said:

Understandably, Windows and macOS has some basic telemetry services built-in. How bad is it for Windows? Especially if Windows 12 starts getting serious with web tech and Copilot...

It's not an issue if you overkill on ram and processor. But the fact that it's eating up precious resources for no real reason bugs me too much to not pay attention to it. Not to mention privacy matters. But privacy is not an issue for most people it seems.

In Linux, you can run one small script to backup your files, exactly when you feel a backup is necessary. The backup service is not constantly running in the background. 

Also for browser Firefox is lagging behind too much that I have to use Edge even on Linux. Edge is simply better, performance and features wise. 

12 hours ago, UnbornTao said:

Do you game on Mint? If so, how's that going?

No. Do you? 

13 hours ago, Bobby_2021 said:

Also for browser Firefox is lagging behind too much that I have to use Edge even on Linux. Edge is simply better, performance and features wise.

Isn't Edge a bloated mess? Not to mention privacy stuff. Firefox, Brave and Thorium are decent options imo.

13 hours ago, Bobby_2021 said:

No. Do you? 

Not yet. An Arch-based distro would likely be a better option for gaming, not sure.

The issue is how much tinkering is needed on Linux for some use cases. Gaming on Windows is easy to set up and use.

On 23/11/2023 at 3:20 PM, Snader said:

Isn’t this a matter of preference?

Lots of people would agree that PC gaming is better in many ways than consoles.

Edited by UnbornTao

Anyone interested in art should get themselves a good pc with a powerful Gpu. Stable diffusion is the stable now.

On 11/25/2023 at 7:42 PM, UnbornTao said:

Isn't Edge a bloated mess? Not to mention privacy stuff. Firefox, Brave and Thorium are decent options imo.

When it comes to sheer performance and productivity, Edge has the edge over other browsers. Almost like MSft is trying to overcompensate their neglect for Internet explorer and I have always used it during my Windows day. Of course I am going to switch to free and open source browsers in the future. 

On 11/25/2023 at 7:42 PM, UnbornTao said:

Not yet. An Arch-based distro would likely be a better option for gaming, not sure.

The issue is how much tinkering is needed on Linux for some use cases. Gaming on Windows is easy to set up and use

Yup. Best gaming experience is probably on windows.

Linux gaming is decent enough. That's what I heard from others.