Lews Therin

Research behind Developmental Models

13 posts in this topic

Has anyone here ever looked at the research behind these famous developmental models we see around here and in the authors books? I love developmental psychology, and hold Spiral Dynamics dearly in my heart, but to this day i haven't had any success in finding the research behind, and that drives me nuts.

How am i supposed to show something to people when i have no research to back it up? 

Yes, it maps very well to my life, but that is very anecdotal.

I like to consider myself as someone who thinks things through, but how can i trully understand this models if i can't see the research they were based off of?

i remember reading somewhere that SD was based in research conducted in over 100 different countries and possibly in over 10.000 people.

WHERE IS THAT DATA??

i know science has limits, but if we don't use data and evidence to base our decision making out of, we are not being post-scientific, we are being pre-scientific.

I admit i mostly searched about SD and a little bit about ego development, but if anyone can point me to some solid developmental model that has made it's data publicly available i would love you sooo much.

Anyway, thanks for reading this so far!

Unfortunately it's not available much. You'd have to contact the authors.

Susanne Cook-Greuter would be your best bet.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

You want to go post-scientific but maybe trying to prove everything with data is not post-scientific, it is conventional science.  Scientists try to prove lots of stuff with data and studies, that does not mean it is true or helpful.

Edited by Alexop

4 hours ago, Alexop said:

You want to go post-scientific but maybe trying to prove everything with data is not post-scientific, it is conventional science.  Scientists try to prove lots of stuff with data and studies, that does not mean it is true or helpful.

i didn't say i want to go post-scientific, i just pointed out i didn't want to go pre-scientific. And even if it has it's limits, proving stuff with data and studies is definetely helpful in MANY cases. And i will trust a model that has enough data to back it up MUCH more than one that doesn't.

Third person knowledge is an essential part of humanity, and for that, the scientific method tends to be the most advanced tool we have.

And this is surely one of these cases.

12 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

Unfortunately it's not available much. You'd have to contact the authors.

Susanne Cook-Greuter would be your best bet.

Thanks, if i manage to get an answer i will be sure to post it here.

Have you ever tried talking to some of these developmental researchers?

6 hours ago, Lews Therin said:

Please do, that'd be interesting.

Edited by UnbornTao

2 hours ago, Lews Therin said:

Have you ever tried talking to some of these developmental researchers?

Nope

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

16 hours ago, Lews Therin said:

Has anyone here ever looked at the research behind these famous developmental models we see around here and in the authors books? I love developmental psychology, and hold Spiral Dynamics dearly in my heart, but to this day i haven't had any success in finding the research behind, and that drives me nuts.

How am i supposed to show something to people when i have no research to back it up? 

Yes, it maps very well to my life, but that is very anecdotal.

I like to consider myself as someone who thinks things through, but how can i trully understand this models if i can't see the research they were based off of?

i remember reading somewhere that SD was based in research conducted in over 100 different countries and possibly in over 10.000 people.

WHERE IS THAT DATA??

i know science has limits, but if we don't use data and evidence to base our decision making out of, we are not being post-scientific, we are being pre-scientific.

I admit i mostly searched about SD and a little bit about ego development, but if anyone can point me to some solid developmental model that has made it's data publicly available i would love you sooo much.

Anyway, thanks for reading this so far!

I would say Spiral Dynamics leans more towards sociology with an infusion of psychological concepts. But if you look at it, it focuses more on how societies express themselves both from the individual to the collective level. If it was more focused on psychology it would go more in depth into how the human brain operates. But it does do a good job of marrying many psychological concepts. For example the memes they bring up is very closely rooted in how symbolic and archetypal our minds are in taking information and generating classifications. Our whole theme of labels is very archetypal. 

You are a selfless LACK OF APPEARANCE, that CONSTRUCTS AN APPEARANCE. But that appearance can disappear and reappear and we call that change, we call it time, we call it space, we call it distance, we call distinctness, we call it other. But notice...this appearance, is a SELF. A SELF IS A CONSTRUCTION!!! 

So if you want to know the TRUTH OF THE CONSTRUCTION. Just deconstruct the construction!!!! No point in playing these mind games!!! No point in creating needless complexity!!! The truth of what you are is a BLANK!!!! A selfless awareness....then that means there is NO OTHER, and everything you have ever perceived was JUST AN APPEARANCE, A MIRAGE, AN ILLUSION, IMAGINARY. 

Everything that appears....appears out of a lack of appearance/void/no-thing, non-sense (can't be sensed because there is nothing to sense). That is what you are, and what arises...is made of that. So nonexistence, arises/creates existence. And thus everything is solved.

It would be so cool and interesting if there would no actual data and still be a great model. Food for thoughts

Many concepts evolved from Spirituality such as meditation, yoga, mindfulness, heartfulness etc. were practised widely from ancient days without any scientific foundation and purely based on experience. But it attained widespread popularity across the globe when it was found to be beneficial scientifically. There are many psychological concepts as well which are widely accepted, yet there is little to zero scientific research to support the theories. Though some concepts are difficult to prove by research, taking effort to encourage such researches, especially by people who are interested or advocate such theories or who have created them, is essential to help it reach global audiences.

@An young being Yes, but these concepts you mentioned all existed long before the scientific method became the golden standard, Spiral Dynamics didn't. Also, most of these things are entirely internal to an individual, so they are really hard to be measured. SD, on the other hand, deals with memes that are common amongst many people, and you can know which memes are present in someone's mind by asking them simple questions.

That means that with some effort and personnel to conduct lots of interviews, it wouldn't be that hard to get substantial data that pointed to the SD model being accurate.

Quick question: WHICH scientific discipline would be studying Spiral Dynamics?

Some branch of psychology?

Well, good luck with that one.  I breathlessly await the researchers establishing construct validity for being at some stage. 9_9

9 hours ago, Lews Therin said:

@An young being Yes, but these concepts you mentioned all existed long before the scientific method became the golden standard, Spiral Dynamics didn't. 

True, I came to know about that only after entering this forum, even though it seems to be a popular theory among westerners.