Jannes

A way to block YouTube videos in google search?

24 posts in this topic

I have time limits for YouTube videos when I am in YouTube (when the url has YouTube in it) but I can bypass that when I simply type the video in google and watch it in this preview way. All browser can do that it seems. I need to block that somehow both on MacOS and iOS, I dont need to use Safari although it would be preferred. 

Bild 09.10.23 um 12.30.jpeg

Edited by Jannes

You can search "actualized -youtube" and this will stop all youtube links.

@Jannes

You shouldn't need to handcuff yourself not to take heroin. Find how to really control your mind instead of needing some tricks. The truth is that what you do may work, but doesn't permanently help with anything nor it won't grow you.

Who told you that "others" are real?

10 hours ago, hyruga said:

You can search "actualized -youtube" and this will stop all youtube links.

He needs to put a minus sign before those key words though 

@Jannes i have used 'focus me' in the past. You can block specific websites and the app has uninstall protection

Be-Do-Have

There is no failure, only feedback

Coercing yourself only works in the short-term. You need to zoom out and be open to discovering long-term solutions to your problems in life.

Why did the snake need glasses? Because it had a reptile dysfunction!

4 hours ago, Kksd74628 said:

@Jannes

You shouldn't need to handcuff yourself not to take heroin. Find how to really control your mind instead of needing some tricks. The truth is that what you do may work, but doesn't permanently help with anything nor it won't grow you.

Willpower is for losers, it's neither fun nor sustainable. 

Sure I want to improve my life to such a degree that YouTube is not a big temptation for me but for that I need to shut it down first so that I can actually focus on that. 

6 hours ago, Ulax said:

@Jannes i have used 'focus me' in the past. You can block specific websites and the app has uninstall protection

I have YouTube timer already. Does it block YouTube on preview? Like when I google Leo gura on google I can choose to click on -> videos and then watch the video on "preview" and not with a YouTube link so it isnt registered on my blocker. 

6 hours ago, Yimpa said:

Coercing yourself only works in the short-term. You need to zoom out and be open to discovering long-term solutions to your problems in life.

Oh no it can work in the long run. I have my YouTube 30min blocker installed for a good amount of time now. It's just what I settled in. If your used to that and manage to get all other temptations out of the way its no big deal. It's very unfortunate that I found ways around it. 

50 minutes ago, Jannes said:

I have YouTube timer already. Does it block YouTube on preview? . 

Not sure mate

Be-Do-Have

There is no failure, only feedback

On 07/10/2023 at 9:36 PM, Jannes said:

I have time limits for YouTube videos when I am in YouTube (when the url has YouTube in it) but I can bypass that when I simply type the video in google and watch it in this preview way. All browser can do that it seems. I need to block that somehow both on MacOS and iOS, I dont need to use Safari although it would be preferred. 

Try using Bing, I believe it has limited preview.

On 07/10/2023 at 9:36 PM, Jannes said:

4 hours ago, An young being said:

Try using Bing, I believe it has limited preview.

The preview is even better unfortunately. 

23 minutes ago, Jannes said:

The preview is even better unfortunately. 

What about duckduckgo? It's popular and privacy oriented but not as effective as Google or Bing.

13 minutes ago, An young being said:

What about duckduckgo? It's popular and privacy oriented but not as effective as Google or Bing.

My blocker doesnt support duckduckgo as a browser unfortunately so it can't block YouTube. But very interestingly when I use duckduckgo as my search engine (in safari) and I click on a video to watch in preview it's a target of my YouTube blocker which is perfect. The problem is that I can very easily just change my search engine back to the google one so this is not ideal yet. 

24 minutes ago, An young being said:

If you use Chrome, you can try ublaclist extension.

I think that blocks specific websites. I don't need that, I need to block the ability to watch videos in this preview or a browser in which the preview is counted by my blocker. 

8 minutes ago, Jannes said:

I think that blocks specific websites. I don't need that, I need to block the ability to watch videos in this preview or a browser in which the preview is counted by my blocker. 

Nope. It blocks the websites from appearing in Google search. But the only ideal way is to change your own mind, not to use tools. 

2 hours ago, An young being said:

Nope. It blocks the websites from appearing in Google search. But the only ideal way is to change your own mind, not to use tools. 

Holy shit it actually works!

But Safari is a lot better on apple devices devices. Do you know alternatives for Safari?

1 minute ago, Jannes said:

Holy shit it actually works!

But Safari is a lot better on apple devices devices. Do you know alternatives for Safari?

No! I have never used Apple products.