PurpleTree

What is knowable and what is unknowable?

20 posts in this topic

The title says it all. 

Is there a thing that‘s truly knowable?

Who or what would be the knower?

Is the knower known or unknown?

If the knower is known, who or what is its knower?

Nothing is everything.

Nothing is absolute and everything is relative.

Nothing is unknown and everything is known.

Just play of words. Everything is as known as the birds chirping. No meaning, no purpose, just birds chirping - not even that - whats a bird, whats chirping aside from words, thoughts? What is a word/thought made of? Other words/thoughts. What is a word/thought? Nobody knows. So nothing is known in that sense. But birds chirping appears! So its 100% known, isnt it? So everything is known like that, since it appears. But not in words, words cloud the clear seeing of what is, apparently. Which is another story, bunch of words.

Go listen to emerson nonduality on youtube like you would listen to birds chirping. Hes got a lot of videos about the unknowing/unknown :)

~ There are infinite ways to reunite that which already is one ~

What is knowable and known is that there are tonne load of things to experience using our human mind in this life. Everything else doesn't matter to me, the eternal truth, the ultimate consciousness, all these are just things to be treated as an experience, not as something that is our ultimate goal or ultimate knowledge. But to believe that I have unearthed the ultimate level of consciousness is also a good experience. But, at the core, it's just a belief.

6 hours ago, PurpleTree said:

Is there a thing that‘s truly knowable?

You.

If it's not you, then you don't know it.

"God is not a conclusion, it is a sudden revelation. When you see a rose it is not that you go through a logical solipsism, "This is a rose, and roses are beautiful, so this must be beautiful." The moment you see it, the head stops spinning thoughts. On the contrary, your heart starts beating faster. It is something totally different from the idea of truth." -Osho

39 minutes ago, Osaid said:

You.

If it's not you, then you don't know it.

How can i know Me?

what‘s there to know about me?

11 minutes ago, PurpleTree said:

How can i know Me?

Well, the first question is: What IS you?

The Secret of this Universe is You.

my music

Just now, vibv said:

Well, the first question is: What IS you?

And there‘s no answer

i‘m unknowable or am i not?

In the realm of thought - if you will - what you think about enough, you tend to believe you know. You're basically just memorizing and solidifying thoughts - so to speak.

In actuality though, there is only one "thing" that can be known, and not even. It knows itself simply by the obviousness of its existence. Consciousness. That's all there is to be known.

Edited by ivankiss

6 minutes ago, PurpleTree said:

And there‘s no answer

i‘m unknowable or am i not?

Wrong. Do you know your body? You may not know how it works exactly on a conceptual level, but you can become directly aware of it.

Do you know the color red? Do you know what a rose smells like? Do you know what a piano sounds like? Do you know how it feels when you're in love? Do you know what sadness feels like? Different kinds of sadness? Different kinds of love? A joyful summer day? A gloomy winter night?

There are a lot of things to become aware of ;) 

Edited by vibv

my music

5 minutes ago, vibv said:

Wrong. Do you know your body? You may not know how it works exactly on a conceptual level, but you can become directly aware of it.

Do you know the color red? Do you know what a rose smells like? Do you know what a piano sounds like? Do you know how it feels when you're in love? Do you know what sadness feels like? Different kinds of sadness? Different kinds of love? A joyful summer day? A gloomy winter night?

There are a lot of things to become aware of ;) 

I know what you mean by those things, but today i still feel those „things“ are unknowable

You can't know what is uknowable. So everything is always known.

All stories and explanations are false.

Just now, PurpleTree said:

How can i know Me?

Knowing happens inside of you. Knowing is a part of you. A part of something cannot capture something that is bigger than it. Fundamentally, the very nature and medium of knowing cannot capture YOU. It infinitely obsesses over itself because it is a small part of what it is trying to capture. 

Anything you know about something is always ABOUT something, it is never that thing by definition.

Thus, knowing is only useful for things that are not experienced by you. Like, the weather tomorrow. Or a math equation.

There is no point in knowing about a door that exists in front of you, because you are already directly experiencing the door. There is nothing to know about it, because your knowing is a symbol of the actual thing. Knowing about it becomes a useless input on your part. The only thing to be known about is what is not experienced, and that knowing will always just be experienced as knowledge, until it is experienced. But when it is experienced, it is not knowledge anymore, it is just experience.

The desire to know what you are is contradictory, because the thing which you are is CREATING a part of experience which is saying "I want to know what I am." Whatever you know yourself as, is not you. It's always a part of you that was created by you. It's like a TV which is trying to display itself on the screen. This is impossible because the screen is just a small part of what the TV is, so no matter how accurately it displays itself, that display will not be itself. And then it will fruitlessly engage in that forever, until it understands that it already is what it is trying to display.

When you ask this question: "How do I know myself?" It is in a similar sentiment to asking: "How do I know what the color red is?"

The color red is ALWAYS the perception of itself. It cannot be delegated to "knowing." This is exactly the case when it comes to YOU as well. The color red exists inside you, along with all the other sense perceptions. And they will not be delegated to any "knowing" achieved by any entity inside of itself.

If colors do not exist, do you know what they are?

If you do not exist, do colors know what they are?

The reason you don't know something is because it is not you. It is knowledge. You can't know knowledge because it is not experienced and it is not you. <<<<<<< This is the most fundamental and succinct way to put it

"God is not a conclusion, it is a sudden revelation. When you see a rose it is not that you go through a logical solipsism, "This is a rose, and roses are beautiful, so this must be beautiful." The moment you see it, the head stops spinning thoughts. On the contrary, your heart starts beating faster. It is something totally different from the idea of truth." -Osho

1 minute ago, PurpleTree said:

I know what you mean by those things, but today i still feel those „things“ are unknowable

You can experience all of them, but they remain a mystery. They are all part of the greater mystery... that is you.

But you can explore and understand all of those phenomena in arbitrary great detail. You're in fact eternally exploring yourself.

my music

Just now, vibv said:

You can experience all of them, but they remain a mystery. They are all part of the greater mystery... that is you.

But you can explore and understand all of those phenomena in arbitrary great detail. You're in fact eternally exploring yourself.

Sure but ultimately as you said it‘s a mistery you can’t truly know it, it’s unknowable 

Just now, PurpleTree said:

Sure but ultimately as you said it‘s a mistery you can’t truly know it, it’s unknowable 

The exploration is never finished, but that doesn't mean that you shouldn't do it. There's nothing else to do. And besides, it's the greatest pleasure to explore the infinite beauty of God. Welcome to Eternity :D

my music

Just now, vibv said:

The exploration is never finished, but that doesn't mean that you shouldn't do it. There's nothing else to do. And besides, it's the greatest pleasure to explore the infinite beauty of God. Welcome to Eternity :D

Sure. Exploration is all there is but still you can‘t „know“ anything i feel ?

7 minutes ago, PurpleTree said:

Sure. Exploration is all there is but still you can‘t „know“ anything i feel ?

I can. Because when you feel it I feel it, there's no difference, our separation is an illusion.

Not me in the sense of this human form, but me as consciousness itself.

Edited by vibv

my music

21 minutes ago, vibv said:

I can. Because when you feel it I feel it, there's no difference, our separation is an illusion.

Not me in the sense of this human form, but me as consciousness itself.

Alright : )