Rishabh R

How to get the most out of a self help book ?

9 posts in this topic

The best strategy I can think of is: Read, and contemplate.

Think where in your life can you apply it. Where you shouldn't apply it. When it's appropriate, and when not.

As Leo said in one of his videos: If you really absorbed a self-help book you should see a change in your behavior.

After you read it, try and summarize its top 5-10 core principles. Then figure out how to apply the concepts and principles in your daily life. True learning is behavior change, so maybe make a list of 5 ways that you can implement the book in your life. It could be actionable steps or possibly changing perspective in your life.

Will seeing the good in negative situation as per - Obstacle is the way - help me ?

Take your time to read and understand it. Don't just simply speed run through it. Take notes, when you're taking notes, reflect on how you can apply them. Then at the end of the book once you finished, go through all of your notes, clean them up and strengthen them such that what you now have in your notes are very massaged and thought throught through ideas.. from there, highlight the most important things. And then from there, pick your top FIVE ideas from that book, and then focus on creating your own plan on how you can optimally integrate those top five ideas into your life. 

Edited by ZenSwift

I forgive my past, I release the future, and I honor how I feel in the present. 

Read with an open mind, and if you come across material that makes you uncomfortable or you resist it, come back to it until that goes away.

There is a saying by a Maxime Lagace I found on the net which was insightful..

“Fools read fast. Geniuses reread.” 

I think you need to reread the book a couple of times to get enough intellectual capital out of it. This has been my observation and experience as well. Contemplation on that which is read can also provide more points than the matter alone.

Self-awareness is yoga. - Nisargadatta

Awareness is the great non-conceptual perfection. - Dzogchen

Evil is an extreme manifestation of human unconsciousness. - Eckhart Tole