StarStruck

Is it worth to get a chess title

19 posts in this topic

I'm putting more hours into chess than I would like to. I asked myself why I'm doing it. Initially it was a medium to practice mastery but now I'm secretly dreaming of getting some chess title to be able to put it on my resume or to have bragging rights. ?

Consider that what you really want is enjoyment, not a title. You'd get much more enjoyment from just playing the game than from any kind of title. A chess title is irrelevant to a resume unless you are a chess teacher or professional player.

Edited by Leo Gura

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

Beating people with Titles without one would be a bigger flex. Plus Titles are expensive to get. I wouldn't waste time on it. 

For a different view, a good habit to have is to finish what you start. Other than the satisfaction of achieving a goal and being able to to brag, there's the psychological effect of finishing something. Firstly it provides a type of closure and allows you to detach and move on to the next thing cleanly. Secondly it teaches your psyche that finishing (achieving) is important and is something that is possible. In the long run it gives you a confidence in yourself and your abilities.

Chess mastery is a long road however, so you'll need a lot of time, patience and focus to get a title.

All stories and explanations are false.

i am aiming for a Cm title which everyone laughs at which i dont care about,since its what i want and its above 90% of people playing chess...

I heared that having Gm or Wgm title on your resume helped getting a job...

Who teaches us whats real and how to laugh at lies? Who decides why we live and what we'll die to defend?Who chain us? And who holds the Key that can set us free? 

It's you.

You have all the weapons you need 

Now fight.

No. Even a master title is a lot more difficult than one might think. 

From what I heard it is tedious work and not fun. Some people dedicate all their life to chess. As a parttimer you just don’t have the chance. 

Chess is fun until you hit the 2000-2200 range because its about tactics, creativity and refining and mastering calculation skills, then after that point you need to seriously study and memories opening and endgames to progress and thats really really boring. Then you easily forget what you memorized during prolonged breaks unless you started young enough so the brain deeply equates chess to survival. 

Edited by integral

How is this post just me acting out my ego in the usual ways? Is this post just me venting and justifying my selfishness? Are the things you are posting in alignment with principles of higher consciousness and higher stages of ego development? Are you acting in a mature or immature way? Are you being selfish or selfless in your communication? Are you acting like a monkey or like a God-like being?

@integral to get to 2000 you need serious work, you make it sound like you just go there and its light..

Some people play until early age and only hit 2100...

Edited by NoSelfSelf

Who teaches us whats real and how to laugh at lies? Who decides why we live and what we'll die to defend?Who chain us? And who holds the Key that can set us free? 

It's you.

Now fight.

Why not? Its okay to do what you enjoy ;)

Be-Do-Have

You have to play the cards you're dealt

There is no failure, only feedback

53 minutes ago, integral said:

Chess is fun until you hit the 2000-2200 range because its about tactics, creativity and refining and mastering calculation skills, then after that point you need to seriously study and memories opening and endgames to progress and thats really really boring. Then you easily forget what you memorized during prolonged breaks unless you started young enough so the brain deeply equates chess to survival. 

You won’t get to 2000 if you don’t have a descend opening game memorization. It is true that chess is 99% tactics but no need to reinvent the wheel. All the good opening and middle games are already calculated (with computers) so you are wasting your time if you think you can reinvent the wheel. 

Edited by StarStruck

@StarStruck its way easier to understand openings with an engine than middlegames, it takes way more time to understand what is engine trying to say and thats why there are not many good middlegame courses around.If i had prepared great middlegame plans/ideas i would be at least 100 elo above ?...

It's you.

Now fight.

3 hours ago, NoSelfSelf said:

I heared that having Gm or Wgm title on your resume helped getting a job...

What kind of jobs? 

Chess has so many analogies for life and spirituality. Garry Kasparov has written a book about the parallels between chess and life but even though he is GM he kind of did a disservice with that book because of his lack of spirituality. Doing spirituality is no different than playing a game of chess. Most people are no where near SD yellow so it is not weird they so no parallels and analogies. 

57 minutes ago, NoSelfSelf said:

@StarStruck its way easier to understand openings with an engine than middlegames, it takes way more time to understand what is engine trying to say and thats why there are not many good middlegame courses around.If i had prepared great middlegame plans/ideas i would be at least 100 elo above ?...

The right way to master chess is start from where you want to end and work your way backward to your vision. Currently working on improving my end game, than middle game and as last opening. 

@Bobby_2021 Regular jobs, i heared them saying they are putting their titles in job applications,same if you won an olympic medal they will give you a job based on that...being a gm is same as being an olympic champion in most cases...

@StarStruck whats your rating?

It's you.

Now fight.

3 hours ago, NoSelfSelf said:

@integral to get to 2000 you need serious work, you make it sound like you just go there and its light..

Some people play until early age and only hit 2100...

Yes but its the fun part, tactical puzzles and self-discovery after 2200 you need to grind.

People taking 10 years to get to 2100 are not training effectively they keep repeating the same mistakes and plateau as a result. 

How is this post just me acting out my ego in the usual ways? Is this post just me venting and justifying my selfishness? Are the things you are posting in alignment with principles of higher consciousness and higher stages of ego development? Are you acting in a mature or immature way? Are you being selfish or selfless in your communication? Are you acting like a monkey or like a God-like being?

2 hours ago, StarStruck said:

You won’t get to 2000 if you don’t have a descend opening game memorization. It is true that chess is 99% tactics but no need to reinvent the wheel. All the good opening and middle games are already calculated (with computers) so you are wasting your time if you think you can reinvent the wheel. 

Thats not true, you need good opening principles and understanding, + you can get to 2000 with strong tactical and calculation skills. Get your puzzle rating up to 2200 on this site and youll be a monster https://chesstempo.com/. Puzzles should be done with no time limit with the goal of seeing everything before making the first move. If you didnt see a move your opponent made before making your first move of the puzzle consider it a loss even if the puzzle is not, thats the training standard to set for yourself.

Memorizing opening is for good players, its useless for people below 2000 what they need is to learn how to think about the opening.

Also the reason i recommend https://chesstempo.com/ is because the puzzle generation is based on master level games and sites like chess.com and lichess.org generate based on online blitz games. So you want to expose your brain to the highest quality tactical positions. This influences intuition long term for pattern recognition as its been trained on long time control over the board master level games. 

Edited by integral

9 minutes ago, integral said:

Yes but its the fun part, tactical puzzles and self-discovery after 2200 you need to grind.

People taking 10 years to get to 2100 are not training effectively they keep repeating the same mistakes and plateau as a result. 

True. Systematic learning is so key and purposeful exercising with puzzles to build up the layers of skill. 

Edited by StarStruck

@integral Okay dm me your chess.com id you will teach me :)

It's you.

Now fight.