Alfonsoo

Book recommendation pls

10 posts in this topic

Some reading on how people switch religions, or how cults or religions recruit followers. How does one switch belief systems? What’s the psyche mechanics behind this?

I have an old book, a really old book called, (I forgot it's name). 

I personally did not read a book on how to get out of religion. It was just natural for me to drop out of it, and I didn’t need to ask my mom and dad or priest’s permission to do it. 

“I once tried to explain existential dread to my toaster, but it just popped up and said, "Same."“ -Gemini AI

8 minutes ago, Sabth said:

I have an old book, a really old book called, (I forgot its name). 

“I once tried to explain existential dread to my toaster, but it just popped up and said, "Same."“ -Gemini AI

6 hours ago, Alfonsoo said:

Some reading on how people switch religions, or how cults or religions recruit followers. How does one switch belief systems? What’s the psyche mechanics behind this?

It's very hard to recruit people from another religion because of their beliefs and identities. People's ego are so strong that they would rather be wrong than change their answers as illustrated in say Monty hall experiment. 

For people to change, there should be existing setbacks in their current life for them to want to change. 

Alternatively, it is far easier to recruit free thinkers. People always need a religion before they die.

Edited by hyruga

The Religion of Tomorrow by Ken Wilber. Great book on why we need religion, why we need to update it, and what can be done. He uses an integral approach similar to Spiral Dynamics.

Part 1, A fourth turning of the Dharma

Part 2, States and structures of consciousness

Part 3, Dysfunctional Shadow elements in development

Part 4, Elements of an integral spirituality

Conclusion, The evolution of the non-duality

@Alfonsoo Leo has books on Booklist 

"Unburdened and Becoming" - Bon Iver

◭"89"

@Alfonsoo Why do you want such a book?

I was personally raised christian, then slowly became an atheist reading and learning more science. I also listened to Richard Dawkins types back then. Later I opened up more and started reading about mysticism and listening to Leo and some new age types etc.

My recommendation: Diversify your information intake. Read books and listen to people with different points of view. Learn not to attach yourself to any of them. Just keep being curious.

Stories are made for children to fall asleep, and adults to wake up.