integral

Addictions are Compensation For a Lack of Athletic Fulfillment

27 posts in this topic

On 6/2/2023 at 9:41 AM, integral said:

Partially True.

There is part of our biology that yearns for athleticism and with out it addiction like smoking are used to satisfy that basic human need. 

Shoot when I eat an edible I have a desire to go running lol.

You are a selfless LACK OF APPEARANCE, that CONSTRUCTS AN APPEARANCE. But that appearance can disappear and reappear and we call that change, we call it time, we call it space, we call it distance, we call distinctness, we call it other. But notice...this appearance, is a SELF. A SELF IS A CONSTRUCTION!!! 

So if you want to know the TRUTH OF THE CONSTRUCTION. Just deconstruct the construction!!!! No point in playing these mind games!!! No point in creating needless complexity!!! The truth of what you are is a BLANK!!!! A selfless awareness....then that means there is NO OTHER, and everything you have ever perceived was JUST AN APPEARANCE, A MIRAGE, AN ILLUSION, IMAGINARY. 

Everything that appears....appears out of a lack of appearance/void/no-thing, non-sense (can't be sensed because there is nothing to sense). That is what you are, and what arises...is made of that. So nonexistence, arises/creates existence. And thus everything is solved.

9 hours ago, Princess Arabia said:

winohead

Nothing worse than a wino man :D

Intrinsic joy is revealed in the marriage of meaning and being.

@Carl-Richard I'm talking about looking into how addiction comes to exist in the first place.

Addiction refers to an action you take.

If you want to stop smoking, say, stop the action -- taking out a cigarette, putting it in your mouth, lighting it. You don't have to smoke. Now, don't conflate the action with the motivation to act. Stop it, and suffer the consequences. After this, the impulse to act is going to intensify and yet you still refrain from indulging it, until eventually the motivation subsides. This may take some screaming, crying, and other withdrawal symptoms depending on the habit. :)

For example, I was addicted to coffee and wanted to quit for a few days. I was tempted to make up all kinds of excuses and stories as to why I should keep doing the habit, but after some struggle I carried on nevertheless. Refraining from the motivating behavior and going through a few withdrawal symptoms were what it took to overcome it. No stories needed. The motivation was there and yet I didn't act on it. This is the secret of secrets to overcome addiction: stop it. ;) 

Edited by UnbornTao

On 6. 6. 2023 at 3:30 AM, Princess Arabia said:

Cokehead, pothead, winohead, sexhead, shopping head, cigarette head, workaholichead, crackhead, ecstasypillhead,  actualizedforumhead, all the same distractraction head from going withinhead.

Haha, true 9_9

And we all do it.

On 2. 6. 2023 at 3:41 PM, integral said:

Partially True.

There is part of our biology that yearns for athleticism and with out it addiction like smoking are used to satisfy that basic human need. 

Yeah, speaking from experience I definitely need regular excersise to not get addicted. The body needs to be transcended before the mind. Unless you are doing psychedelics, of course. But even then it matters a lot. 

When I dont workout, run, box etc I will quickly want to watch more tv series, drink more and a lot of other things.

Exercise definetely helps in getting a nice dopamine hit to make using drugs less appealing, but still, mainly people use drugs because the innate seeking in each human being it's limitlessness, intensity, freedom. If you don't have tools to get there, you will use drugs.

Now, there are people that try to get to that limitless with achieving material accomplishments and ammassing goods, instead of drugs.

'Addiction' as such does not exist. The word itself has victim-like meaning attach to it and it's fundamentally false. Trust me, each human being does a choice each day it does a drug, it doesn't matter how much time it has been doing the drug. One can stop at any time, but people say they want to stop to bullshit themselves, ideally they would like to stop, but in practically getting high with its downsides its still better than their shitty life. So they blame drugs for their stithy management on life.

1 hour ago, Javfly33 said:

'Addiction' as such does not exist. The word itself has victim-like meaning attach to it and it's fundamentally false. Trust me, each human being does a choice each day it does a drug, it doesn't matter how much time it has been doing the drug. One can stop at any time, but people say they want to stop to bullshit themselves, ideally they would like to stop, but in practically getting high with its downsides its still better than their shitty life. So they blame drugs for their stithy management on life.

It can be victim mentality, but it can also come from a genuine lack of healthy alternatives. If drugs is all you've ever known you might not even comprehend that you can "just stop". This is something that has to be realized directly in order for it to be understood. It's like expecting a Christian to realize that they don't have to be a Christian. They won't just stop being a Christian out of the blue. They might have to do a lot of deprogramming first, just to get to a point where they realize that not being a Christian is even a valid option. Questioning your faith isn't so simple if you belief that it's a sin worthy of hell.

Similarly, even though a drug addict might want to stop on the surface, deep down they might fear the hell they believe would come with it. If you believe that you can't live without drugs and that you'd kill yourself without them, it's not as easy as just stopping your drug usage (unless the suffering has gotten to a point where you'd rather kill yourself than continue with the drugs), because you might genuinely lack the understanding that you CAN actually stop without killing yourself.

When you tie a young elephant to a tree, it will never leave the tree. Even when it gets big enough to rip the tree out of the ground it will stay with the tree. Yes, it could practically just walk away, but you can't really say that it CAN leave the tree, because it literally lacks the understanding to do so, effectively rendering it unable to do so. It doesn't really have a choice in the matter.

I realize that telling drug addicts that they have no choice doesn't really do them a favor, but telling them that their addiction is a result of them constantly making bad decisions doesn't really help it either, considering that most drug addicts already feel miserable about themselves. I think that you need to be able to balance the two.

beep boop

What if someone is addicted to pickleball? Asking for a friend...