Michael569

Share Your Unusual Meditation Experiences

23 posts in this topic

Leo in his "Dark Side of Meditation" mentioned huge list of things including stuff like "you'll see demons and angels".

While I'm not sure how to interpret that, I'd be curious to see some unusual experiences that you people had during meditation. 

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

Maybe you'll hear your wife telling you to come, and at this moment you'll feel in her voice that she wants to kill you (even though you don't have a wife).

God is love

Whoever lives in love lives in God

And God in them

1) An endless black void appeared in front of me. It was black and empty like you wouldn't believe!

2) A hideous face suddenly appeared out of nowhere. That was one Fugly face!

Both of these snapped me right out of meditation.:o 

Edit: both experiences happened during late night meditations. Maybe that had something to do with it too?

Edited by cetus56

@cetus56 wow, maybe a hint of Lucid Dreaming 

Edited by Michael569

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

1 hour ago, cetus56 said:

1) An endless black void appeared in front of me. It was black and empty like you wouldn't believe!

2) A hideous face suddenly appeared out of nowhere. That was one Fugly face!

Both of these snapped me right out of meditation.:o 

Edit: both experiences happened during late night meditations. Maybe that had something to do with it too?

@cetus56 Not saying that this is for sure true, but Tom Campbell would describe that black void as the "void state" an important first step to doing all sorts of things with your consciousness.

And he would describe the ugly face as a fear test to see if you are ready to go further.

Might be worth checking out his material. He has a youtube channel and books. Are you familiar with his work?

The kingdom of heaven is within.

@Colin You know, I had a strong feeling that I wussed out somehow both times. Especially with the void. Maybe something was presenting itself to me and I blew the chance? In all honestly though it happened so fast I was out of it in a second and back to the ego self again. Fear is the destroyer.

1 hour ago, Michael569 said:

@cetus56 wow, maybe a hint of Lucid Dreaming 

Yea, it could be partly that too.

So I spent a weekend in a mountain village to snowboard and be in nature a few weeks ago so me and my cousin decided to visit the club over there on saturday night. I was in a really good mood because we had spend some time in a sauna and just before we went away I meditated for 30 minutes. I got in this ecstatic state after that and exposing myself to cold in the waiting line outside the club made me like super awere and the ecstatic feeling got REALLY REALLY over the top, I couldn't stop smiling while I was just standing there. So in the line just in front of me there was a bunch of smokers and I got a lot of smoke in my eyes and this made my eyes turn really red. So there I was walking around in the club feeling AMAZING and having red eyes. After a while I got carried out of the club by the police, they asked a few questions, drug tested me and put me in an interrogation asking me if I wanted someone to defend me and shit. 4 days ago I got a litter from the police saying that the case is closed. LOL!:D 

Once Darth Vaders head appeared on a table I was meditating in front of and once I saw faces inside the walls of a zendo.

Hallå

24 minutes ago, cetus56 said:

You know, I had a strong feeling that I wussed out somehow both times. Especially with the void. Maybe something was presenting itself to me and I blew the chance? In all honestly though it happened so fast I was out of it in a second and back to the ego self again. Fear is the destroyer.

@cetus56 "blew the chance" is too fatalistic. Apparently you can do it on command if you practice enough. You will have many many more chances if it is something you want, If fear and ego doesn't derail you.

14 minutes ago, Colin said:

@cetus56 "blew the chance" is too fatalistic. Apparently you can do it on command if you practice enough. You will have many many more chances if it is something you want, If fear and ego doesn't derail you.

Yea, there's been times when I was aware of it and just let go and fall through it. This time stands out because I was suddenly staring directly at a black void so it was very visual. I think it may have seen me too!xD

A group of us here where doing late night sits at 2:00 am for 2 hrs. Things tend to get a little wonky at 2;00am weaving through all levels of mind, consciousness, visuals ect. I'm sure I'm not telling you anything new here.

That may be a good visualization to practice though. Dropping through the void.

Here is something I just remembered. I had listened to the Alan Watts video Everything turning to Nothing about that time. That could have something to do with it too. Maybe I was seeing my latent, subconscious fears through a visualization?

@cetus56 Things get pretty weird if you go down the Tom Campbell road.

11 minutes ago, cetus56 said:

Yea, there's been times when I was aware of it and just let go and fall through it. This time stands out because I was suddenly staring directly at a black void so it was very visual. I think it may have seen me too!xD

A group of us here where doing late night sits at 2:00 am for 2 hrs. Things tend to get a little wonky at 2;00am weaving through all levels of mind, consciousness, visuals ect. I'm sure I'm not telling you anything new here.

That may be a good visualization to practice though. Dropping through the void.

Here is something I just remembered. I had listened to the Alan Watts video Everything turning to Nothing about that time. That could have something to do with it too. Maybe I was seeing my latent, subconscious fears through a visualization?

I haven't gone this deep in some time because I have been focused on other things. But one time I was probably the deepest I had ever been in a meditation, I started seeing a golden spiral of light entering my forehead. It was so vivid that I started to get spooked. And as I got spooked the spiral started to waver and I couldn't hold my concentration then a  serpent made out of red light  appeared and came at me. The serpent was to symbolize fear. I didn't understand it at the time, but it was a fear test. It was a metaphor that I could understand. It wasn't a literal serpent.

Thanks I'll check that out. I listened to Tom Campbell yesterday for the 1st time talking about the double slit experiment so I'm new to him. He seems knowledgeable in many areas.

I had only one really strange (and very short) experience so far: After about 30min I had the feeling of levitating slightly out of my body. As I looked down, I saw spiders crawling all over my legs. Then I heard a female voice saying "Hello?!" this got me scared and I dropped out of it. It lasted only 10 seconds or so. 

@Colin  That's a good one! Flames and serpents. When a space is opened that allows for everything, including fear, you never know what may pop out unexpectedly. That's a good thing of course. Like mile markers along the journey that gauge growth. And than again there's nothing better than a good ego ass kicking once in a while to keep it in line..

13 minutes ago, Echoes said:

Then I heard a female voice saying "Hello

@Echoes  Did the voice sound like Adel?  She scares the shit out of me.xD

Edited by cetus56

2 minutes ago, cetus56 said:

@Echoes  Did the voice sound like Adel?  That scares the shit out of me.

What is Adel?

you mean this? :D 

@Echoes Adele, Yea.  She's really great and so is this song. "hello from the other side". I have this on vinyl.

When I was meditating at a retreat.  Multiple times I was sitting int he meditation hall and saw a perfectly realistic version of the room, but it would be slightly altered.  This happened multiple times.  I wasn't like a day dream, it looked so detailed and real I thought I had my eyes open until I actually opened my eyes.  I have more, but I must sleep.  

Through a mixture of SDS and using Leo's various guided meditations I have had many strange experiences.

With eyes open:

When I was once in a very unsettled state, horrific alien-shaped faces came to appear in front of me in the fabric folds of my curtains. In the same session a huge smiley face also appeared, but each appearance was horrifying. I followed Leo's advice to SIT THROUGH such difficulties as they are ego distractions.

During another unsettled state, I had a scrunched up duvet in my field of vision. The room was lit with faint evening light. The folds eventually manifested into a (neutral/friendly) large dragon head, and later into several human faces.

With eyes closed:

I regularly experience significant bodily distortions. For example, my head feels like it is a balloon that is expanding with each breath. Or I have near-indescribable sensations such as feeling as if the substance of my body is either 'thick' or 'milky', 'solid', 'smooth' or 'creamy'. Very strange.

I often get closed eye hallucinations from 'deep' meditation sessions, such as a 'pixelated galaxy' just last night. Or a colored hexagonal expanding vortex.

If laying down I sometimes feel as if my body becomes flatter and raises up or below where my body really is, and once I felt like my entire experience floated up like a piece of paper and was compressing into a oval-shaped dark hole in front of me.