Someone here

How to get jacked at home without going to the gym?

19 posts in this topic

Here's what I've got at home: two dumbbells that have 20 lbs of weight on them. They can be adjusted. A weight bench with 100 lbs. 

I also use a stick to do pull up to help me get taller. 

I do push ups as well. I've gone down from 50 to 200 per day in about two months. I do a lot of running, it's kinda my jam. 

What I want to know is: what is the best way to increase muscle tone without having to shell out the big bucks to a gym membership? Can I get a body like those kick ass bodybuilder who are on steroids and such? 

Thanks. 

"life is not a problem to be solved ..its a mystery to be lived "

-Osho

Well my gym member ship is 12$ CAD = 8$ USD a month, not that big of an investment. 

How is this post just me acting out my ego in the usual ways? Is this post just me venting and justifying my selfishness? Are the things you are posting in alignment with principles of higher consciousness and higher stages of ego development? Are you acting in a mature or immature way? Are you being selfish or selfless in your communication? Are you acting like a monkey or like a God-like being?

43 minutes ago, integral said:

Well my gym member ship is 12$ CAD = 8$ USD a month, not that big of an investment. 

Most of my money go to paying the bills. From food to rent to electricity to internet etc. I don't have the luxury of going to gym. 

Can you tell me what kinds of exercise you do? And how muscular and fit your body is? 

-Osho

Got to make each exercise as challenging as possible by using less leverage and more body weight. 

Edited by integral

How is this post just me acting out my ego in the usual ways? Is this post just me venting and justifying my selfishness? Are the things you are posting in alignment with principles of higher consciousness and higher stages of ego development? Are you acting in a mature or immature way? Are you being selfish or selfless in your communication? Are you acting like a monkey or like a God-like being?

7 minutes ago, Someone here said:

Can you tell me what kinds of exercise you do? And how muscular and fit your body is? 

I started training as a teen and maxed out my genetic potential, everyone's potential is different doe.

If I'm not body building with heavy weight its going to be body weight exercise that are as challenging as possible.

3 to 4 sets of 10 reps and if the weight is lower like push ups then 3 to 4 sets of 30-50 reps or you can do each rep very slowly, the slower the rep the harder it will be. Each workout should last between 45-1:30min where you push your self to be stronger then you where yesterday (Personal Record). 

Edited by integral

4 minutes ago, integral said:

I started training as a teen and maxed out my genetic potential, everyone's potential is different doe.

If I'm not body building with heavy weight its going to be body weight exercise that are as challenging as possible.

3 to 4 sets of 10 reps and if the weight is lower like push ups then 3 to 4 sets of 30-50 reps or you can do each rep very slowly, the slower the rep the harder it will be. Each workout should last between 45-1:30min where you push your self to be stronger then you where yesterday (Personal Record). 

Great. Thanks. 

Do you use Any  dumbbells? I Just want to know what you're working with so I can try to give it a shot myself and more suggestions. I'm thinking combining bodyweight stuff along with what i have on hand. but I'm not 100% sure what exactly I have to work with right now based upon my current condition . I do a combination of progressive calisthenics and weights, myself, mostly bodyweight with weighted dips and chin ups.

Few questions about nutrition :

1-how much calories do you eat per day? I'm having a problem with this because my appetite is low and it's hard for me to get the enough fuel to gain weight.  Any suggestions in how to increase my appetite? 

2-do you use any protein powders? 

3-should I eat before or after the workout? 

Thank you! 

-Osho

45 minutes ago, Someone here said:

Great. Thanks. 

Do you use Any  dumbbells? I Just want to know what you're working with so I can try to give it a shot myself and more suggestions. I'm thinking combining bodyweight stuff along with what i have on hand. but I'm not 100% sure what exactly I have to work with right now based upon my current condition . I do a combination of progressive calisthenics and weights, myself, mostly bodyweight with weighted dips and chin ups.

Few questions about nutrition :

1-how much calories do you eat per day? I'm having a problem with this because my appetite is low and it's hard for me to get the enough fuel to gain weight.  Any suggestions in how to increase my appetite? 

2-do you use any protein powders? 

3-should I eat before or after the workout? 

Thank you! 

Dumbbells: Standing over head press, lateral raises, bent over rows, chest flys lying down on bench,  biceps curls, weighted pull ups (hold weight with feet), rolling ab planks, wrist curls, triceps pull backs, bent over flys, running with weights

Barbell: Bench press inner and outer grip, bent over rows, hip trusts, squats (normal, sumo, back, front), clean and jerk, lunges, dead lifts, single hand bent over rows

Other: Calve raises single and double leg, leg raising pull ups and leg raising dips, dip triceps extension, Reverse plank dips, Reverse plank fully in the air dips (hits the triceps hard, get in dip up position and raises hips and legs up as high as possible off the floor and lean back with out falling), hand stand push ups or any angle. 

---

1: Its ok you don't need to eat as much as you think, the exercise should raise your metabolism anyways and it will get easier. At the time of my most intense training i was eating maybe 2500-3000 cal.

2: No do not spend a single $ on this, its far more expensive then a gym membership and it will have no impact, buy eggs and eat 6-12 a day.

3: Eat before and after, after is even more important doe. If you eat before make sure your fully digested first before training and that you ate mostly carbs nothing heavy (meats). Eat meat/protein after. Check out buckwheat and sweat potato pasta, gives good energy for me, but you got to experiment and see what works. 

Edited by integral

@integral thanks dude. Really helpful ?

-Osho

7 hours ago, Someone here said:

Can I get a body like those kick ass bodybuilder who are on steroids and such? 

That would require steroids..

What I am hearing is that you want an aesthetic physique, something you are proud of, that when you look in the mirror naked, you want to be proud and satisfied with what you see. is that correct?

Welcome, to the authenticity evolution.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEMc_MGhRl-1t3MoV36uG1A

10 minutes ago, Realms of Wonder said:

That would require steroids..

What I am hearing is that you want an aesthetic physique, something you are proud of, that when you look in the mirror naked, you want to be proud and satisfied with what you see. is that correct?

Yes. I want to beat the shit out of some boys who bully me . For that I need a strong body with thick skin and glamorous muscles  .

-Osho

9 hours ago, Someone here said:

Obviously not.

But you can certainly be very athletic looking. Resistance train all muscles with at least 10 hard sets a week each — however you want to split it up, but you generally want to avoid training hard for more than 2-3 consecutive days. The optimal 7 day split for most goals is: upper lower off upper off lower off.

Include at least one variation of at least 1 of each of the following 6 necessary movements, otherwise it’ll be incomplete and can lead to dangerous joint-wearing imbalances: 1. horizontal pulling, 2. squat, 3. pushing (pressing), 4. hip hinge, 5. something for the external rotators (primarily: Band Facepulls, high to low, set above eye level, with external shoulder rotation / have the hands tie the elbows in a race to the finished position), 6. knee flexion for the hamstring head left out by hip hinges.

At a more advanced level, many months down the road, you might find you get elbow pain if you don’t add a 7th essential: rubber band hand openers, for finger extensors on both the hand and forearm.

Get resistance bands from Amazon (brand: elitefts) — that’s the best way to get jacked at home with extremely limited equipment, by far. They’re very cheap. Get two each of the orange, red, and green.

And if you’re going to be gaining an appreciable amount of size and strength, you’ve got a lot of research to do. Do facepulls with the bands to prevent relative weakness of the external rotator cuff. And make sure hamstring training volume is never exceeded by quadriceps volume, otherwise your knees will wear out quicker over the course of your life, rather than having their life extended via hamstring maximization — you’ll need to find a way to rig up the bands for hamstring curls.

This will get you started in the most efficient possible way:

And for when you get serious:

You’re all set. Just click on videos that YT recommends on this videos’ pages and you’ll probably find what you’re looking for.

I would not even touch bands if you’re not going to do facepulls with them — they’re extremely good for shoulder health and size.

Edited by The0Self

@The0Self thank you so much bro . This is extensive and detailed. Highly appreciate it ?

-Osho

@Someone here

And btw, make sure protein intake is well over 100g a day. Don’t spend any time thinking about it, it’s very easy to do so just do it, but you are shooting yourself in the foot with any less than than. And 120g is better — 120 is at least beyond the point of diminishing returns for most people.

If you want the near-maximum benefits of protein, it is likely conferred with as low as about 0.8-1g per lb of lean body mass daily. But if you want to absolutely max it out, then you should know: there is overwhelming evidence that at any daily amount over 1g per lb of total bodyweight, muscle gains don’t improve even slightly further past that conferred by 0.9-1g / lb bw.

Fat-loss is a different story though — for that you actually do get some additional benefit all the way up to about 240-280g/day. Though even for fat-loss, like muscle gain, you’re at least beyond the point of diminishing returns at about 120g/day.

So for instance, there’s no need to waste your money by exceeding 180g/d if you weigh 180lb, if your goal is gaining muscle. Protein is the most expensive macronutrient — not to mention, it 1. satiates, and 2. increases energy/calorie expenditure, both considerably more than both carbs and fat, and you MUST eat at a calorie excess to gain muscle at an appreciable rate…

Assuming a reasonably effective training protocol*, 120g protein + 400 calorie excess will provide way more growth (probably close to double) than 240g protein + 200 calorie excess.
*(10-20 sets, each within 3 reps from failure, per muscle per week — generally the optimal rep range, exactly where the aforementioned proximity to failure occurs, for band work, is 20-35 reps per set, but for non-band resistance exercises, that number is 5-30 with a sweet spot at 10-20) though for elbow health you’re going to want to use those light orange elitefts bands for triceps push downs for as high reps as possible — 50-100+ — to preserve the triceps tendon, in addition to heavier work like band push-ups (which are a bodyweight exercise and thus aren’t entirely mediated by band resistance, and therefore have an optimal rep range between the aforementioned 5-30/10-20 & 20-35; they tend to like 10-25 best)

But if one was, say, 180lb and 10% bodyfat, protein synthesis rate would be nearly maxed out at 180*.9*.8=129.6g per day — however, that does assume 4 equal doses, so really that just means 32.4+ g of protein as the minimum for each of 4 meals daily. (Bodyweight * 1-bf * 0.8)/4= minimum protein dose for maximum muscle growth rate, assuming 4 doses per day. 4 is the number of daily protein feedings that produces maximum muscle growth when all other variables besides that number remain unchanged — as in far better than 1-2 and 5+ meals a day, but 3 is almost as good IF your bodyweight is fairly light like <150lb or at least well under 200 lb (you’d just have to divide the result by 3 rather than 4 to get your minimum dose per meal).

Hopefully this info-dump can help you (or whoever reads it) achieve your/their goals.

Good luck! ? 

Edited by The0Self

Eat more, exercise slower, heavy-medium weights, and more stretching/squeezing, more rest, live like a tortoise.

Edited by M A J I

As above so below, as within so without.

On 4/13/2023 at 5:39 PM, Someone here said:

Not without heavy weights and synthetic hormones you can't. Bodyweight will only get you so far. 

Are we talking Dorian Yates type of big or more like Frank Medrano type of big?

The later is achievable with bodyweight work. The earlier or a moderate variation of, not really. 

Not to mention it takes a decade or two to achieve that size and development.

Edited by Michael569

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

On 13.4.2023 at 6:39 PM, Someone here said:

Here's what I've got at home: two dumbbells that have 20 lbs of weight on them. They can be adjusted. A weight bench with 100 lbs. 

And now you use it until you're jacked ;)

On 14.4.2023 at 2:14 AM, Someone here said:

Yes. I want to beat the shit out of some boys who bully me . For that I need a strong body with thick skin and glamorous muscles  .

Obviously muscles help a ton. It's what I did when I got bullied. But martial arts like wrestling or boxing would tackle that problem more effectively.