harisankartj

Possible Solution To All Mental Disorders

17 posts in this topic

I have recently had an insight relating to how the mind doesnt want happiness.This is how it goes.

"The mind is CONSTANTLY on the look out for stuff that creates the non existent sense of self."

I personally think it is due to this fact that people go through overthinking,anxiety and depression...but thats not it.

Ever wonder how the sense of self likes drama? Its because it creates victimization and thus... a sense of self.

And about accepting the present moment too...it creates fantasies of other scenarios so that the HOLLOW MAN AKA EGO AKA SELF is created,and thus creates the OH POOR ME,EXISTENCE IS UNFAIR,BLAH BLAH BLAH.

Note.: I dont know about serious ones,just an insight I had onto how the mind holds us back in everyday life.

You are probably right to some extend here. I would say your post carries a good slice of the truth. But depression can stem from many sources, not just self victimization. What about a bad breakup, a divorce, death in the family, bullying? These outside factors also have great influence on our mental health and the fact that these things happen is outside of our control. But the way we react to these circumstances -- even that -- is outside of our control because the self does not exist. So there is no reason to be a jerk to someone who is depressed because the individual did NOT cause the depression or some other mental disorder. When there is NO SELF, there is no free will. But telling a depressed person that either would also be a mistake probably because that can make them into even more of a victim. I just imagine they would think "well, if there is no free will, then I can't change. It is "out of my hands" and up to god. That is a wrong approach. But understanding the enlightened truth that they do not have free will without communicating that to them can help you to accept their condition. If you believe they have control over the depression, you can use that to justify all sorts of evil behaviour.

So it is best to have compassion and understanding for these people, but also have the flexibility to sometimes kick them in the butt when it helps them. But this requires being context sensitive -- knowing when to pressure someone and when to be more laid back and understanding. Life is nuanced and complex. 

@harisankartj The mind looks for justification of self, not "non existent sense of self". If someone has a "non existent sense of self" they would be quite enlightened. The "selfs" do create victimization, the "selfs" have also created everything on earth since humans began. In the end, it is to each of us to choose. So why doesn't someone choose a happy path?- Only that someone could know, but my guess is fear of something that exists only because they have a belief / inaccurate understanding of reality. Our "selfs" tend to make sense of shitty things by creating a story that protects our ego and adopting that story as accurate.

MEDITATIONS TOOLS  ActualityOfBeing.com  GUIDANCE SESSIONS

NONDUALITY LOA  My Youtube Channel  THE TRUE NATURE

@Christian Yes I agree with you!

I am sorry for not making my post clear as I type in my cell phone. There are many sources of depression and I am just pointing out only one way of how the mind controls you...and that too in ORDINARY situations.

In case of extreme scenarios such as the ones you mentioned, it is indeed not a good idea to tell them all this...because the mind will rationalise the good stuff too to make the world an enemy and thus further victimisation,so ur right!

However those who are going through depression must understand that the minds job is to create a false self.

I think it because so that there would be reason for the body mind to fight for its existence.

i think it could be A self defence mechanism of the mind to put itself in a position of lack so that it would be motivated to do stuff,and this has just gone out of control of the persons awareness.

@harisankartj Pretty sloppy wording there but I do mostly agree with you. But I still have a lot of unanswered questions.

Sometimes depression can be caused by a brain abnormality, where it doesn't produce enough of the right chemicals, so even if one were to become enlightened, the chemical imbalance would still be there.

@Whywolf my view is that all are negative emotions, even depression, are not the sensations we are sensing but rather the resistance to it.  So people may have chemical imbalances and strong unpleasant sensations but they still have the control - they can accept the sensations and observe them with equanimity or they can resist them. The "Irony" is that by resisting them we also perpetuate them.
That's why My opinion is that meditation on the sensations of the body (Vipassana) can solve maybe all of our emotional problems.

"A ship is safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are made for"    - John A. Shedd

@Vercingetorix I respect your opinion and agree with a lot of it, especially coming from that personal place of negative rumination, that resistance perpetuates the cycle, but I also think it has a lot to do with diet and chemical imbalances and that these need to be sorted out in the body.  
Currently reading this article here on depersonalization, and it says that for such conditions, anti-inflammatory diets (lectin avoidant diet), magnesium sups are helpful - and it also includes mindfulness... avoid serotonin... good to know.

@Whywolf I agree with you as well, the truth is I'm super picky about what I eat and health and nutrition are one of my top values.
My father is an Ayurvedic doctor and I see that adjusting what I eat and what I do to my type of mind and body according to Ayurveda really help in balancing my emotions and physical discomforts like heat waves.
So I totally agree, in fact, I forgot how important it is as I take it almost for granted, thanks for reminding me :)

"A ship is safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are made for"    - John A. Shedd

@Vercingetorix I haven't heard of Ayurveda before, what is it, and how has it helped you?
Oh, haha you're welcome! :) 

@Whywolf
oh may I can attempt a very bad explanation:
It's traditional Indian medicine. its beauty is understanding that everyone one is different and needs a different diet/way of life that fits his body-mind characteristics. So meat, for example, may be very bad for your health but very healthy for someone else.
They view the world through the elements and their qualities, and by identifying what are the dominant elements in you and the imbalances you are prone to go through you can engineer a diet and a way of life that will keep you balanced. 
It's quite complicated and often counter-intuitive system. 
They also use herbs and massages and tonnes of other stuff.

What I cook/eat depends on the weather, if it's a cold damp day, or a warm dry one, certain food will be better than others.
I have dominance of the Pita Dosha (Fire and water elements) so for me in general food that warms or blocks is not recommended. So I eat less such foods like brown rice, white flour, Nightshade veggies. And it helps my emotional balance and heat waves I tend to suffer from in the summer, as well as clears my skin etc.

On 3/11/2017 at 1:36 PM, jse said:

"The first step to recovery, is acquiring a problem."
- Admiral Painjoy

@jse have you been to Burning Man?

@Vercingetorix That's interesting! I found this website but its pretty vague about the three types of body, is there a test on a website that you would recommend?

http://www.wholesomeayurveda.com/2016/11/10/vata-pitta-kapha-characteristics-know-your-body-type-part-2/

sorry my post is out of topic..

I had this realization those days too, our mind is always looking for the external world, so we try to fix the external world instead of our own minds, its the ego deceiving us so we wont look inside ourselves, if we looked we would find out that the external world is a result of our thoughts.

"There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so." Shakespeare

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCqtX3EPGsnmWjK76m5Vpbw

13 hours ago, jse said:

Burning Man is way too dusty for me, @Lai.  And you?

It's on my bucket list! :)

@Vercingetorix Interesting!  Might do some research on that later on down the road, thank you for the explanation.