Rasheed

Can meditation actually answer life’s deepest questions?

21 posts in this topic

Can meditation actually answer life’s deepest questions? Questions such as:Why am I here? What is meaning of life? What’s the point of life? 

When Osho got asked this type of questions, he basically answered that all philosophy and questioms are for fools and all questions are from ego and to stop thinking, drop the mind….

Truth be told I cannot take that for an answer. Stopping thought is great but I still want answer to deep questions and is really stopping all conceptualization actual answer? ????

Digital Minimalism: A philosophy of technology use in which you focus your online time on a small number of carefully selected and optimized activities that strongly support things you value, and then happily miss out on everything else.” - Cal Newport

It could be said that all questions resolve into the singular question asked by sages like Ramana Maharshi: "Who am I"? Neti neti is an ancient tradition of inquiry, where the personality is unpeeled layer by layer, like an onion, until only the Self remains.

Meditation is an effective parer. When you realize the Self, within yourself, questions disappear and there is only lucid living. You no longer fear or desire, beyond the thinnest veil, because you are that close to waking up entirely from the dream.

Just because God loves you doesn't mean it is going to shape the cosmos to suit you. God loves you so much that it will shape you to suit the cosmos.

On 12/27/2022 at 11:30 AM, Rasheed said:

When Osho got asked this type of questions, he basically answered that all philosophy and questioms are for fools and all questions are from ego and to stop thinking, drop the mind….

This couldn't be more wrong.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

meditation doesnt give you an answer. it gives you experience which then you still need to think about and integrate into your thinking life.
so BOTH thinking and not thinking are important. dont place one above the other because that is BIAS. 
and osho like all other humans was full of bias. 

You don't ask "What's the meaning of life" or "Why am I here" when you're enjoying yourself.

Actually most eastern spiritual teachers and gurus including Osho give that answer about deep life, philosophical questions. And I just can't buy it. That is why I asked the question. 

9 hours ago, Moksha said:

It could be said that all questions resolve into the singular question asked by sages like Ramana Maharshi: "Who am I"? Neti neti is an ancient tradition of inquiry, where the personality is unpeeled layer by layer, like an onion, until only the Self remains.

Meditation is an effective parer. When you realize the Self, within yourself, questions disappear and there is only lucid living. You no longer fear or desire, beyond the thinnest veil, because you are that close to waking up entirely from the dream.

But I don't want question to disappear, I want question to get answered. I get it, when I stop thinking, I have no questions but still I do not consider that to be an answer. 

At the same time about fear or desire, Daniel Ingram says that he got enlightened (Buddhist type of sense, enlightened) and he still experiences lust and desire. Basically that model of emotional perfection does not last...Truth be told, I don't know..

Digital Minimalism: A philosophy of technology use in which you focus your online time on a small number of carefully selected and optimized activities that strongly support things you value, and then happily miss out on everything else.” - Cal Newport

14 minutes ago, Rasheed said:

But I don't want question to disappear, I want question to get answered. I get it, when I stop thinking, I have no questions but still I do not consider that to be an answer. 

You should question the underlying assumptions of the questions you're asking. Because if the questions you're asking are based on unquestioned assumptions, then you're not going to get to the truth of the matter. For example, "what is the purpose of life" assumes that life has to have purpose that's somehow different from living, like there's somewhere you need to get to.

At the same time about fear or desire, Daniel Ingram says that he got enlightened (Buddhist type of sense, enlightened) and he still experiences lust and desire. Basically that model of emotional perfection does not last...Truth be told, I don't know..

Daniel Ingram is not fully enlightened according to the Buddhist ten fetters model.

9 hours ago, Rasheed said:

The monkey mind doesn't want questions to disappear, because it feeds on the need to conceptualize reality. The only true answer to your ultimate nature is directly realized, entirely free from thoughts, emotions, and sensations. As long as you conceptualize awakening, you will never awaken.

Enlightenment is perpetual presence and equanimity. You are no longer afraid or enticed by the false threats and promises of the conditioned mind. Instead of chasing happiness as most people do, you realize it within.

The awakened sages call a person wise when all his undertakings are free from anxiety about results; all his selfish desires have been consumed in the fire of knowledge. The wise, ever satisfied, have abandoned all external supports. Their security is unaffected by the results of their action; even while acting, they really do nothing at all.

- Bhagavad Gita 4:19-20

As I have said, I have only one purpose: to make man free, to urge him towards freedom, to help him to break away from all limitations, for that alone will give him eternal happiness, will give him the unconditioned realization of the Self…

Again, you have the idea that only certain people hold the key to the Kingdom of Happiness. No one holds it. No one has the authority to hold that key. That key is your own self, and in the development and the purification and in the incorruptibility of that self alone is the Kingdom of Eternity…

You are accustomed to being told how far you have advanced, what is your spiritual status. How childish! Who but yourself can tell you if you are beautiful or ugly within? Who but yourself can tell you if you are incorruptible? You are not serious in these things.

But those who really desire to understand, who are looking to find that which is eternal, without beginning and without an end, will walk together with a greater intensity, will be a danger to everything that is unessential, to unrealities, to shadows. And they will concentrate, they will become the flame, because they understand.

- Jiddu Krishnamurti

Edited by Moksha

Just because God loves you doesn't mean it is going to shape the cosmos to suit you. God loves you so much that it will shape you to suit the cosmos.

On 12/27/2022 at 7:30 PM, Rasheed said:

Truth be told I cannot take that for an answer. Stopping thought is great but I still want answer to deep questions and is really stopping all conceptualization actual answer? ????

As far as I know, he was reading a lot philosophy during his life and apperantly philosophised a lot so I assume that he was talking from this place of experience. I guess that he wasn't aware enough that his stage green sannyas should experience and pass through this intellectual-philosophical phase only to realise that it doesn't answer the most importent questions in life.

Still I didn't get to the bottom of his mind. I want to listen/read to the way he worded it. Could you share the video or the quote of his full answer please?

Edited by Lila9

Let Love In

Questions will naturally disappear when you become directly conscious of the answers.

Trying to drop the question before you have the answer is ass backwards and the top reason why most spiritual people are clueless about God.

Awakening is not about dropping questions, it's about getting the ultimate answers.

Edited by Leo Gura

2 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

Questions will naturally disappear when you become directly conscious of the answers.

Trying to drop the question before you have the answer is ass backwards and the top reason why most spiritual people are clueless about God.

Awakening is not about dropping questions, it's about getting the ultimate answers.

Agreed. 

I used to do a type of therapy called RO-DBT, and one of its main focus is literally to help the patient do self-inquiry. 

Taken directly from the RO-DBT skills manual:

0B01A752-6694-40C4-B528-D9A909854B40.jpeg

"Wisdom is not in knowing all the answers, but in seeking the right questions." -Gemini AI

What kind of inquiry can you do in 5 minutes??

16 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

What kind of inquiry can you do in 5 minutes??

I’m sure it’s limited to 5 mins because it’s tailored to those with mental illnesses and trauma. Anything more could potentially make their condition worse…

…so now we know why legalizing and researching psychedelics for mental health conditions is vital. Could really help unstuck the mind with proper set and setting - thus making therapy more effective.

I’ve been fortunate enough to do cannabis and ketamine infusions with a psychedelic therapist legally due to my conditions, and it’s really helped open me up (and I still struggle, so imagine how stuck many of those with mental illness are who’ve never done psychedelics!)

"Wisdom is not in knowing all the answers, but in seeking the right questions." -Gemini AI

15 hours ago, Moksha said:

The monkey mind doesn't want questions to disappear, because it feeds on the need to conceptualize reality. The only true answer to your ultimate nature is directly realized, entirely free from thoughts, emotions, and sensations. As long as you conceptualize awakening, you will never awaken.

Enlightenment is perpetual presence and equanimity. You are no longer afraid or enticed by the false threats and promises of the conditioned mind. Instead of chasing happiness as most people do, you realize it within.

The awakened sages call a person wise when all his undertakings are free from anxiety about results; all his selfish desires have been consumed in the fire of knowledge. The wise, ever satisfied, have abandoned all external supports. Their security is unaffected by the results of their action; even while acting, they really do nothing at all.

- Bhagavad Gita 4:19-20

As I have said, I have only one purpose: to make man free, to urge him towards freedom, to help him to break away from all limitations, for that alone will give him eternal happiness, will give him the unconditioned realization of the Self…

Again, you have the idea that only certain people hold the key to the Kingdom of Happiness. No one holds it. No one has the authority to hold that key. That key is your own self, and in the development and the purification and in the incorruptibility of that self alone is the Kingdom of Eternity…

You are accustomed to being told how far you have advanced, what is your spiritual status. How childish! Who but yourself can tell you if you are beautiful or ugly within? Who but yourself can tell you if you are incorruptible? You are not serious in these things.

But those who really desire to understand, who are looking to find that which is eternal, without beginning and without an end, will walk together with a greater intensity, will be a danger to everything that is unessential, to unrealities, to shadows. And they will concentrate, they will become the flame, because they understand.

- Jiddu Krishnamurti

I get what you are saying but Listening Krishnamurti and most spiritual teachers, most people will drop the question before it is answered

12 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

Can meditation lead to getting ultimate answers? And if yes, how?

Most spiritual teachers such as Osho, Krishnamurti say to drop all questions and just meditate and be silent but thing is I still want answers to ultimate questions…I feel like that kind of answer is avoidance…

11 hours ago, Rasheed said:

I get what you are saying but Listening Krishnamurti and most spiritual teachers, most people will drop the question before it is answered

The danger of questions is that they engage the thinking mind. As long as you are thinking, you are at risk of barricading your true self. Contemplation is fine and even useful, but only within the fire of awareness. When the fire is the center, contemplation feeds it. When it is absent, contemplation becomes a self-perpetuating snare.

Ramana Maharshi is known for asking a single question: "Who am I?". He is even more famous for his silence, which he considered to be the purest state of being:

Silence is ever-speaking, it is the perennial flow of "language." It is interrupted by speaking, for words destroy this mute language. Silence is unceasing eloquence. It is the best language. There is a state when words cease and silence prevails.

14 hours ago, Moksha said:

The danger of questions is that they engage the thinking mind. As long as you are thinking, you are at risk of barricading your true self. Contemplation is fine and even useful, but only within the fire of awareness. When the fire is the center, contemplation feeds it. When it is absent, contemplation becomes a self-perpetuating snare.

Ramana Maharshi is known for asking a single question: "Who am I?". He is even more famous for his silence, which he considered to be the purest state of being:

Silence is ever-speaking, it is the perennial flow of "language." It is interrupted by speaking, for words destroy this mute language. Silence is unceasing eloquence. It is the best language. There is a state when words cease and silence prevails.

Thank you. That was a truly beautiful and inspiring answer. I am really grateful and appreciative of your help and feedback. 

what mind can know is meagre; the premise of self inquiry is that mind knows not who i am but if i stfu then good stuff comes to light

meditation is to stfu and let source do its thing