playdoh

Is chanting ‘OM’ renouncing life?

11 posts in this topic

So one of my good friends told me that and then I researched it a bit and it seems so. According to Osho and many other sources within like 2 months sex goes and a month later love. Energy from the root chakra moves up, until you reach the crown and become one with the universe. You go deep into the void and human emotions become virtually non-existent. 

I want to chant to become more calm and accomplish more in life. I started chanting OM last night and oh boy did I feel calm and the emptiness after that. My friend is a kundalini yoga instructor and recommended I chant one of the kundalini yoga chants, I think he said the OM NAMO GURU DEV NAMO chant. I read what it translates to and it’s “I bow to the power within me and serve it,” some dogmatic thing like that that doesn't resonate. What do you reckon? <3

I only speak English… my favorite prayer is thank you. I like to do cardio exercises instead of yoga. I feel a similar feeling afterward, sometimes better because it uses more of the energy from all the food i eat

I was watching one of Eckhart Tolle's videos once and he said the word home in a hummy way. It made me feel something. There's definitely something special about that sound.

I left this forum because a moderator has a problem with me talking positively about myself and giving advice. This reflects the forum as a whole. This place is negative, bitter, hateful and anti success. If you don't notice this that's because you're one of them. I hope some of you benefited from my posts. Take care.

OM is a primordial sound more suited for renunciates. The mantra, when gently recited effortlessly, can help you transcend the mind. But OM will make you a recluse. 

1 hour ago, YogiCosmos said:

OM is a primordial sound more suited for renunciates. The mantra, when gently recited effortlessly, can help you transcend the mind. But OM will make you a recluse. 

Thanks for sharing, answer I was kinda looking for. Is there a chant that you can recommend me for what I’m looking for? And do you agree chants hypnotize your?

6 hours ago, playdoh said:

some dogmatic thing like that that doesn't resonate. What do you reckon? <3

See, the Sanskrit language was designed with specific consciousness altering sounds in mind. That if you spoke the language regularly, it would more or less purify you. 

Mantras exist not to articulate some manner of lingual significance per se. To bring about an alteration of oneself for a specific purpose. I haven't experimented with the mantra you mentioned myself. But even just hearing Om Hanumante Namah a few hundred times makes me noticeably stronger physically and more intimidating. Whenever I'm trying to do something with my muscles for which I'm too weak, I just think the mantra a few times and gain the ability to do it anyway.

Edited by JuliusCaesar

Potestas Infinitas, Libertas Infinitas, Auctoritas Infinitas.

46 minutes ago, JuliusCaesar said:

See, the Sanskrit language was designed with specific consciousness altering sounds in mind. That if you spoke the language regularly, it would more or less purify you. 

Mantras exist not to articulate some manner of lingual significance per se. To bring about an alteration of oneself for a specific purpose. I haven't experimented with the mantra you mentioned myself. But even just hearing Om Hanumante Namah a few hundred times makes me noticeably stronger physically and more intimidating. Whenever I'm trying to do something with my muscles for which I'm too weak, I just think the mantra a few times and gain the ability to do it anyway.

So if I understand you correctly are you saying the meaning of the words don’t matter so much but the feeling they invoke within when you chant it? So you would chant “I bow to the power within”? Isn’t that a dual statement? You are fooling yourself. Then again I don’t know you. 

Your mantra means btw “I pray to Lord Hanuman to bestow upon me power, strength, and stamina.”

@Leo Gura I’m very interested in your opinion about this! 

When lying down in a quiet room listen carefully and you’ll hear a very low humming sound, it sounds like OMMMMmm. Actually when taking DMT you’ll hear a strong humming sound right before take off that sounds like OMMMMMMM.

i wonder if there is a connection.

Edited by integral

How is this post just me acting out my ego in the usual ways? Is this post just me venting and justifying my selfishness? Are the things you are posting in alignment with principles of higher consciousness and higher stages of ego development? Are you acting in a mature or immature way? Are you being selfish or selfless in your communication? Are you acting like a monkey or like a God-like being?

20 hours ago, playdoh said:

So if I understand you correctly are you saying the meaning of the words don’t matter so much but the feeling they invoke within when you chant it?

Well, yes. But it's not just a feeling, it also brings about an alteration of other things as well. 

So you would chant “I bow to the power within”?

No, if there's power in those sounds, I'm not aware of it. And, when thinking in my native tongue I usually just issue a dictate directly.

Your mantra means btw “I pray to Lord Hanuman to bestow upon me power, strength, and stamina.”

Sure, the peoples who speak that language give form and meaning to the sounds. But the sounds themselves had power before your spacetime continuum illusion ever existed.

20 hours ago, integral said:

When lying down in a quiet room listen carefully and you’ll hear a very low humming sound, it sounds like OMMMMmm. Actually when taking DMT you’ll hear a strong humming sound right before take off that sounds like OMMMMMMM.

i wonder if there is a connection.

Well, you are talking about the primordial sound. So it would make sene that you might hear it in those settings. If you listen to the Sun, you can hear it going OM as well. Though I'm not sure if you can do that as a human without employing special instruments.

Potestas Infinitas, Libertas Infinitas, Auctoritas Infinitas.

Sanskrit is an energy based language which has direct impact on your chakras and subtle body. Om will make you a renunciate if you allow it to take you deep into the mind.

It's said that the right way to chant is not OM but A-U-M. 

In my view you do not renounce life by just chanting a  mantra. Chanting is  still another attempt to fix life or change it into a more pleasurable state. Otherwise why would you do it ? 

When every method or attempt to reach a better place is abandoned that's renunciation of ego.