Matt23

Athletics Mega-Thread (...?)

50 posts in this topic

15 minutes ago, Matt23 said:

Nice.

I feel like people will differ in terms of what type of sport or athletic skill they appreciate the most.  Maybe it's to do with seeing what their own particular potential could be, given their specific body-type, neurochemical makeup, etc..  Extrapolating this idea outwardly to other domains, I'm sure it could be true for things like art, intellectual pursuits, and spirituality.  Meaning, if a person has some sort of inherent disposition towards, say, mathematics, they may greatly admire amazing mathematicians since they are both seeing A) the excellence of the mathematician, and B) their own "golden shadow" projected onto the mathematician, which creates a more profound inspiration than it would if the person was watching an amazing scientist to their work or something (not that they wouldn't appreciate what the scientist did, it's just they may not feel as an intense amount of love or appreciation for it as they do the mathematician).  

Or maybe it’s directly the opposite. Like opposite sex feel a pull towards each other. I feel like in sports we often admire what we can never reach. I admire gymnasts and bodybuilder for example because I know I am just not build for that. And I don’t think much of endurance athletes because that’s what I am talented in so it isn’t really interesting for me. 

18 minutes ago, Matt23 said:

Great way to study musculature and anatomy.

Oh yeah. I feel like especially for complex and hidden muscles like hamstring.

Edited by Jannes

Alex Honnold climbed El Capitan in Yosemite national park without a rope. Probably the greatest individual accomplishment in all sports/athletics. Every time I watch the documentary it brings tears to my eyes how inspiring it is. You can drag and look around in the video too. Make sure you have something to dry your hands xD

hrhrhtewgfegege

@Jannes Big Ramy? I can see that thickness from a mile away :D 

Intrinsic joy is revealed in the marriage of meaning and being.

28 minutes ago, Roy said:

Alex Honnold climbed El Capitan in Yosemite national park without a rope. Probably the greatest individual accomplishment in all sports/athletics. 

Idk why would something scary be an athletic accomplishment? I don’t combine those two. 

27 minutes ago, Carl-Richard said:

@Jannes Big Ramy? I can see that thickness from a mile away :D 

When we look at pure muscle mass they are pretty similar. But Rony Colemen has better muscle quality. By that I mean more detail and better shape of the muscle. Compare their chest muscle, their delts, their legs, their arms… Yes Big Ramy is big but he looks way less impressive then Rony. 

47 minutes ago, Roy said:

Alex Honnold climbed El Capitan in Yosemite national park without a rope. Probably the greatest individual accomplishment in all sports/athletics. Every time I watch the documentary it brings tears to my eyes how inspiring it is. You can drag and look around in the video too. Make sure you have something to dry your hands xD

This gives me goosebumps and hella vertigo.. sheesshh!!!  

@Jannes  I think it's wayyyy more than just scary.  Also... I think scary is part and parcel of athletic accomplishments too.  Cuz, contrary to what may seem logical, athleticism is sooooo much of a mind-game as oppose to a pure body-game.  Like, to have the concentration, skill, endurance, will-power to pull that off... damn.  

This is why some athletic feats to me are so powerful and inspiring; cuz it goes beyond the physical and you really see how deep these people are going internally, mentally, emotionally.  It's a spiritual thing.  Seeing a person run a marathon (or more) and nearly collapsing at the finish line, or tearing a ligament but still going for some higher purpose (like they're running for a loved one or something), is just... inspiring and tear eliciting.  

Nah mean?

I get you too though on the other side of the spectrum where there's not much skill or internal "push" or excellence involved and what the person is doing is just "scary": like the guy who jumped into a barrel and went over Niagara falls... like, brave, sure, and it's like "dammnnn..." .. still noteworthy and could even be inspiring due to the amount of courage or w/e the person is exhibiting.  But not the same type as in with athletic feats  of skill, endurance, strength, concentration, etc..  

Different flavors 

"Just a spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down"   --   Marry Poppins

40 minutes ago, Jannes said:

When we look at pure muscle mass they are pretty similar. But Rony Colemen has better muscle quality. By that I mean more detail and better shape of the muscle. Compare their chest muscle, their delts, their legs, their arms… Yes Big Ramy is big but he looks way less impressive then Rony. 

Ah. It was a weird pose, didn't get the Ronnie vibes ? Ronnie is a ninja turtle.

Intrinsic joy is revealed in the marriage of meaning and being.

1 hour ago, Jannes said:

Idk why would something scary be an athletic accomplishment? I don’t combine those two. 

Life is scary and we're all going to die. If you want to accomplish anything you need to ignore and master fear.

hrhrhtewgfegege

27 minutes ago, Matt23 said:

This gives me goosebumps and hella vertigo.. sheesshh!!!  

@Jannes  I think it's wayyyy more than just scary.  Also... I think scary is part and parcel of athletic accomplishments too.  Cuz, contrary to what may seem logical, athleticism is sooooo much of a mind-game as oppose to a pure body-game.  Like, to have the concentration, skill, endurance, will-power to pull that off... damn.  

This is why some athletic feats to me are so powerful and inspiring; cuz it goes beyond the physical and you really see how deep these people are going internally, mentally, emotionally.  It's a spiritual thing.  Seeing a person run a marathon (or more) and nearly collapsing at the finish line, or tearing a ligament but still going for some higher purpose (like they're running for a loved one or something), is just... inspiring and tear eliciting.  

Nah mean?

I get you too though on the other side of the spectrum where there's not much skill or internal "push" or excellence involved and what the person is doing is just "scary": like the guy who jumped into a barrel and went over Niagara falls... like, brave, sure, and it's like "dammnnn..." .. still noteworthy and could even be inspiring due to the amount of courage or w/e the person is exhibiting.  But not the same type as in with athletic feats  of skill, endurance, strength, concentration, etc..  

Different flavors 

Okay I kind of get that you described that well. 
I am mostly seeing it from the perspective that their accomplishments don’t really have value to society and it often doesn’t seem like they just do it for themself but rather for external validation. So it seems like a pointless ego game. Like to accomplish their goals they suffer because they enjoy it kind of. 

12 minutes ago, Carl-Richard said:

Ah. It was a weird pose, didn't get the Ronnie vibes ? Ronnie is a ninja turtle.

Oh now I understand your question lol. It didn’t enter my mind that a person who knows big Ramy wouldn’t recognize the anatomy of the goat Ronnie Colemen ?. That picture shows the transition to the rear lat spread.

Not really athletics but his POV as a 7'1 man is fascinating

A few of Cristiano Ronaldo's best goals:

Also look for Messi's, I'm biased here (Madrid's fan). :P

On 11/8/2022 at 7:54 AM, Matt23 said:

This is fake.

It's a commercial made by Nokia around 2008.

Firstly, the actor wasn't Bruce. It was done by a lookalike. Second, the feats were not well captured and most probably they were fake.

Edited by hyruga

I find gymnastics pretty beautiful and sometimes impressive, especially rings 

On 11/17/2022 at 1:45 AM, sleep said:

I find gymnastics pretty beautiful and sometimes impressive, especially rings 

Nice.  Bro was like a board horizontally. ... a little cocky there lol.

On 11/15/2022 at 8:31 PM, hyruga said:

This is fake.

It's a commercial made by Nokia around 2008.

Firstly, the actor wasn't Bruce. It was done by a lookalike. Second, the feats were not well captured and most probably they were fake.

Lol.  I can imagine that.  They did a good job if it is fake.