LordFall

Who here is posting Tiktoks/Short form content?

29 posts in this topic

17 hours ago, Ethan1 said:

Probably is an opportunity in the market to grab attention quickly & convert views to a sale but at what cost? 

Watching short clips in an auto loop format seems a bit dangerous of an idea. Instant gratification loops. 
I question the social implications and business ethics of exploiting people's short attention span.

At what point does operant conditioning or a skinner box get out of hand?
What impact will it have in the long term for mental health and society? 

Where do you draw the line? Is making long-form content exploiting people's time and lack of success in their life? It's a good question but hard to answer. Ethical business is a fascinating subject. I think as long as you honestly believe your business is there to help people and you use the short-form content as part of your funnel towards your long-form/services/products, I don't see too much of an issue.

People have to take responsibility for what they're consuming as well, I don't buy this whole helpless media consumer concept. I honestly don't watch Tiktok apart from seeing what other people are doing, the medium has never appealed to me. I mostly like short-form content that is quick tips/podcast clips when I don't have time for a 15min/2 hour video. 

16 hours ago, Danioover9000 said:

@Ethan1

That's the gentle, feminine explanation of why and why not to use Tik Tok for your LP.

Here's the masculine explanation: FUCK TIK TOK AND THE BRAIN ROT IT CAUSES TO THE YOUTH!! Those who use Tik Tok for the long term, 5-10 plus years thinking it's an amazing LP, are deluding themselves. Content creators in Tik Tok are participating in spreading and infecting this mind virus called Tik Tok into children to adolescents. Recently Tik Tok was sued for hosting parts of its content creators twerking and under aged Only Fans. The Algorithm is sus AF, suggesting sexual content to your feed, again, without your FLIPPING PERMISSION! auto modifies your profile picture without your permission. and engineers the increase in chasing novelty and chasing quick fix gratification. Guaranteed to decline your mindfulness and focusing abilities if you over consume this app, and increase your resistance to personal development, discipline and peace of mind. Also guaranteed to develop narcissism in your mind too as your pretty profile picture can make you self-conscious, and pretty profile pictures of others further increases your lack of self-esteem and confidence. The Chinese businesspeople and HUA WUE that designed Tik TOK really know what to do to weaken people's minds, JESUS CHRIST!

TIK TOK is a very dangerous app that preys on your reptilian brain and gets you chasing quick rewards while degenerating your moral integrity. If you still value your life, your human life, and those around you, tell them to abandon this vile APP IMMEDIATELY!?

I think that's a pretty dumb point. Tiktok caters your content to what you like/engage with over time. No comment on the underage part, that's an issue that's social media wide not Tiktok-specific. Snapchat also has an automatic features smoothening feature on all its videos, I don't think it's a bad thing.

I'm against this whole notion of social media being bad for your self-esteem, I actually believe most social media has to lead to the greatest advancement in self-improvement potential in decades. 

The average American used to spend 6 hours a day on television, social media just replaces that in a customized and more engaging way.

Shorter attention spans is an interesting phenomenon. I think on one hand it's a concerning issue but also, on the other hand, I don't know if I buy it. I think the bar for entertaining and quality content has increased heavily and not having the attention span to entertain boring conversations or PowerPoint presentations at school is not a bad thing. I get bored of a lot of things quickly but if it's a quality podcast I can listen to it for hours on end so I don't buy the narrative of destroyed attention span fully. 

Kyle Fall - Lifestyle Photographer

Follow me & Watch my Content on Instagram

<3

tiktok is to youtube as twitter is to facebook ... if you cant say something in 2 lines you don't get it ... think before you speak and stop wasting people's time ... here especially ... say what matters in the very first sentence or i don't stay

59 minutes ago, LordFall said:

Where do you draw the line? Is making long-form content exploiting people's time and lack of success in their life? It's a good question but hard to answer. Ethical business is a fascinating subject. I think as long as you honestly believe your business is there to help people and you use the short-form content as part of your

I draw the line at not downloading the tiktok app and prefer to talk to people on a platform like this who ask good questions. The line for the general public. I have no clue. Really not my place to make choices for others. 

I agree, in certain contexts where your content is promoting awareness then I can see that as beneficial in some aspects. However, the entire platform is kind of rigged to get people addicted for a reason. Pointing out the way at which people are using platform could be beneficial. Bring up topics of general wellbeing and balance could be beneficial to counteract. 

The average American used to spend 6 hours a day on television, social media just replaces that in a customized and more engaging way.

True that, 6 hours of staring at a screen with tiny glowing pixels. I mean, what happens if a person turn off the screen and sits for 6 hours staring at the screen. Honestly I have no room to talk because I'm technically being a hypocrite by being on the internet. So yes, argue both sides. Still I'm not sure getting people hooked on a website from an overview perspective seems like a good idea. Yes, you could say it brings people together in some form online. Still there's a ton of issues that can't be avoided.

People have to take responsibility for what they're consuming

Who's responsible for the irresponsible? In other words, the person that can't respond because they are locked in a self-gratification loop (addiction). 

Same goes for impulse buying. At what point does this become the responsibility of the business owner to not exploit vulnerabilities for opportunities? If others are willing to cut corners and do unethical practices to win then how does one compete in an unethical environment? How can you compete with a multibillion-dollar corporation that knows your impulsive thoughts and intends to collect data to sharpen results?

How can someone that is wanting to be honest compete with cheaters when the system is rigged to cheat?

For example, if you're selling on amazon and the competition is willing to generate 100's of paid reviews by giving out "free" gift cards in public to buy the product and encouraging 5 star reviews. Not only that where they use AI to do it for them automatically. To what point are you willing to participate in such loopholes to funnel traffic towards your long-form/services/products? Considering it takes a long time to generate authentic reviews organically. If everyone is doing it and the platform enables it then why compete? 

Do the ends justify the means? So wrong or unfair methods may be used if the overall goal is good?

Edited by Ethan1

I think Leo should start  a DMT  TIk tok challenge , lets see whos ego is left standing 

"You have to allow yourself to not know"- Peter Ralston

45 minutes ago, Ethan1 said:

Who's responsible for the irresponsible? In other words, the person that can't respond because they are locked in a self-gratification loop (addiction). 

Same goes for impulse buying. At what point does this become the responsibility of the business owner to not exploit vulnerabilities for opportunities? If others are willing to cut corners and do unethical practices to win then how does one compete in an unethical environment? How can you compete with a multibillion-dollar corporation that knows your impulsive thoughts and intends to collect data to sharpen results?

How can someone that is wanting to be honest compete with cheaters when the system is rigged to cheat?

For example, if you're selling on amazon and the competition is willing to generate 100's of paid reviews by giving out "free" gift cards in public to buy the product and encouraging 5 star reviews. Not only that where they use AI to do it for them automatically. To what point are you willing to participate in such loopholes to funnel traffic towards your long-form/services/products? Considering it takes a long time to generate authentic reviews organically. If everyone is doing it and the platform enables it then why compete? 

Do the ends justify the means? So wrong or unfair methods may be used if the overall goal is good?

Quite literally the million-dollar question. Who knows, up to us to have more public discussions about it and up to the individual to come up with their own boundaries I think. 

Kyle Fall - Lifestyle Photographer

Follow me & Watch my Content on Instagram

<3

A lot of people have very strong negative opinions on TikTok but I think it has a lot of potential and can absolutely be used really well, as a content creator and a consumer of the content.

There's a lot of bad stuff too but like .... ummmm did you not notice the world we live in? YouTube has plenty of bad stuff and I don't see anybody here criticizing it! Plenty of shitty books that make you waste time too! Leo even just posted about a video game on his blog! Actually I think Leo even said at one point that we have a lot of industries right now that need more conscious people who can elevate all of those industries.

But coming back to TikTok, I've seen singers post small snippets of new songs they're trying out, in a low-stakes environment, as an example. I've seen people even make political commentary, serious content with TikToks lasting several minutes (you can also .. make Part 2's you know). It's also great for posting memes and just funny content, or hell taking a serious subject and making a funny TikTok about it, like making a comment on racism using a funny trend. I think there's a lot of engagement with the community that can be had there that can be great.

Of course consumers have to actually find the right content and that can be hard but I wouldn't really dismiss it outright.

Why not entertain the idea of moving to Chernobyl and starting an organic garden near the exclusion zone?

• There's plenty of land
  • Tons of interesting wildlife
  • Probably quiet and peaceful scenery
  • No too much sound pollution
  • Cheap cost of living
  • Not too many neighbors
  • Tons of empty buildings to potentially start a business

Hear me out, the only thing I can think of dismissing is the radiation from the nuclear power plant. Find a decent looking suit (Hazmat) and tie. Outside of that it's probably a decent place to live. That was back in 1988 so 34 years ago should be long enough to move back? Could start a radioactive organic Alvacado tree business. Sell guacamole in Chernobyl. 

Edited by Ethan1

TikTok is short format, it can be helpful to gather attention.

Basically it comes down to this:

• 100,000 people watch your tiktok
  • From those around 1,000 will watch your longer format videos (e.g. on YouTube)
  • And from those around one converts to an external source

Etc.

So if you want to rely on social media it can be beneficial to create both short and long format videos.

But keep in mind that they have different use cases.

@LordFall

On 2022-10-18 at 4:07 PM, LordFall said:

Where do you draw the line? Is making long-form content exploiting people's time and lack of success in their life? It's a good question but hard to answer. Ethical business is a fascinating subject. I think as long as you honestly believe your business is there to help people and you use the short-form content as part of your funnel towards your long-form/services/products, I don't see too much of an issue.

People have to take responsibility for what they're consuming as well, I don't buy this whole helpless media consumer concept. I honestly don't watch Tiktok apart from seeing what other people are doing, the medium has never appealed to me. I mostly like short-form content that is quick tips/podcast clips when I don't have time for a 15min/2 hour video. 

I think that's a pretty dumb point. Tiktok caters your content to what you like/engage with over time. No comment on the underage part, that's an issue that's social media wide not Tiktok-specific. Snapchat also has an automatic features smoothening feature on all its videos, I don't think it's a bad thing.

I'm against this whole notion of social media being bad for your self-esteem, I actually believe most social media has to lead to the greatest advancement in self-improvement potential in decades. 

Shorter attention spans is an interesting phenomenon. I think on one hand it's a concerning issue but also, on the other hand, I don't know if I buy it. I think the bar for entertaining and quality content has increased heavily and not having the attention span to entertain boring conversations or PowerPoint presentations at school is not a bad thing. I get bored of a lot of things quickly but if it's a quality podcast I can listen to it for hours on end so I don't buy the narrative of destroyed attention span fully. 

So, it's interesting to you that people can't focus and get grounded, and do deep work? It's interesting that some people have scattered pieces of defocused attention spans damaged by the digital environment? I don't care for whatever lists of 'leisurely' hobbies you do on the internet, that's more excuses to over consume social media, the extreme example here is Tik Tok in question, no doubt on average the young are getting trained to chase quick fixes and expect quick feedback all the time on the internet.

Yes, today's age, you get to replace tv watching with social media watching, still 6 hours going into what? Booty twerks and sped-up clips?

I agree, the ultimate aim of the internet and social media, is to engineer multiple personality disorder, narcissism, and sociopathy/psychopathy, through inducing more and more novel chasing and quick fixes per post and per clip and click bait whatever. It's all to make the one person feel so entitled to almost anything they post that one person would get shocked with just a tiny push back. Yeah, self-esteem not a problem for most people! Notice it's most young people, not some 20% that do manage their social media consumption.

I say TIK TOK because IT HAS INCENTIVIZED YOUTUBE, FACEBOOK, INSTAGRAM AND OTHERS TO FOLLOW AND COPY THEIR VIDEO FORMATTING! VIDEO SHORTS! MEANWHILE, LOOK OVER THERE AND NOT HERE WHILE WE CLEAN UP SEXY POSTS AND VIDEOS THAT SHOULDN'T HAVE BEEN POSTED! As the new and steller example and beacon of light for all of social media, TIK TOK is already in a position to be that much more dangerous.