Davius

Solipsism and social anxiety

19 posts in this topic

I'm only scratching the surface of solipsism with my LSD trips, but I want to go deeper. It's still more of a concept rather than my direct experience.

After watching Leo's video on the topic for the first time this month I started applying solipsism to the aftermath of social situations.

Usually, I'd leave an embarrasing situation and beat myself up, feel down etc. Even if the interaction with someone wasn't negative in any way, I'd make up nonsense to put myself down. Now, I can just walk away and shrug it off most of the time, it's incredibly powerful.

Has anyone experienced benefits regarding solipsism? 

Solipsism is the realization that there are no "others " it actually increases my social anxiety. Because these imaginary others are like alien simulation stuff doing a conspiracy against me .

"life is not a problem to be solved ..its a mystery to be lived "

-Osho

47 minutes ago, Someone here said:

Solipsism is the realization that there are no "others " it actually increases my social anxiety. Because these imaginary others are like alien simulation stuff doing a conspiracy against me .

That is a misunderstanding of Solipsism. Solipsism with the recognition of Beauty, Intelligence, and Love is what is meant by Awakening or Absolute Solipsism.

Again, there are no others conspiring against me. I am conspiring against myself to create myself and reality. Why do I trick and delude myself? Life is a dream or self-deception because I have to be asleep/tricked/deceived in order to dream or create reality.

If I am not becoming more selfless and aware of Beauty, Truth, and Love, then I don’t understand Solipsism.

1 hour ago, Davius said:

There are enormous benefits when I am aligned with Truth and not self-deception. A good life is aligned with Truth. The benefits I have attained from Truth is emotion, intellectual, and spiritual freedom. Nothing matters so why ever be depressed or bothered by anything? There is so much freedom in realizing that nothing matters and that everyone is you and everything is love. 

Edited by r0ckyreed

All Teachers and Teachings are delusion. You have all the answers within you. The first step on the journey to Enlightenment is questioning all the beliefs and teachings you have ever received. Teachers/Teachings are a distraction/maya at the highest level. There comes a point where you need to trust in your own innate knowledge and derive your own insights into the nature of reality. Teachers make a living and lifestyle of selling you water by the river. You don’t need them. All you need is an insatiable desire for truth and then seriously contemplate reality and uncover all that is false. 

1 minute ago, r0ckyreed said:

That is a misunderstanding of Solipsism. Solipsism with the recognition of Beauty, Intelligence, and Love is what is meant by Awakening or Absolute Solipsism.

Again, there are no others conspiring against me. I am conspiring against myself to create myself and reality. Life is a dream because I have to be asleep/tricked/deceived in order to create the reality.

If you aren’t becoming more selfless and aware of Beauty, Truth, and Love, then you don’t understand Solipsism.

Solipsism is a relatively well-defined term; it refers to the belief that the believer (the self) is the only entity with some important property, like existence, or knowable existence, or subjective experience, or something like that. For instance “because the Problem of Other Minds isn’t solvable, the only mind I can know exists is my own”, or more radically “the only mind that exists is my own”.

Enlightenment, though, is a much more complex concept (or non-concept). we won’t even delve into the million meanings of the word, but even Buddhist enlightenment is not easily pinned down.

In general, enlightenment does not lead to solipsism: that is, being “enlightened” does not lead one to conclude “I am the only entity that exists”. If anything, enlightenment leads to a … different perspective on the idea that one exists (at least as an independent self-originating entity) at all.

I made a post a few months  back about my awakening to solipsism .but judging by what I understand now it's false . Other people can be simultaneously fragments of your imagination and real people at the same time . It just takes a radical shift of perspective to realize this. 

-Osho

35 minutes ago, Someone here said:

I made a post a few months  back about my awakening to solipsism .but judging by what I understand now it's false

Then you really didn’t awaken. When you awaken, there should be no doubt whatsoever.

That’s correct. Your ideas of Absolute Solipsism are ultimately false. Solipsism is beyond how your mind could ever try to define it as.

35 minutes ago, Someone here said:

Other people can be simultaneously fragments of your imagination and real people at the same time . It just takes a radical shift of perspective to realize this. 

Other is a duality and construction of your own mind. You imagine parents in the same way you imagine others. When you really contemplate what other is, you are left with nothing but your own mind because other is constructed by the mind. Other is as real as Santa Clause, yesterday, your mom, and your imaginary friend. Without your mind constructing it, it would no longer exist. You are Me! 

Edit: If the external world doesn’t even exist beyond your mind, what does that tell you about the nature of other?

Edited by r0ckyreed

All Teachers and Teachings are delusion. You have all the answers within you. The first step on the journey to Enlightenment is questioning all the beliefs and teachings you have ever received. Teachers/Teachings are a distraction/maya at the highest level. There comes a point where you need to trust in your own innate knowledge and derive your own insights into the nature of reality. Teachers make a living and lifestyle of selling you water by the river. You don’t need them. All you need is an insatiable desire for truth and then seriously contemplate reality and uncover all that is false. 

5 minutes ago, r0ckyreed said:

Then you really didn’t awaken. When you awaken, there should be no doubt whatsoever.

That’s correct. Your ideas of Absolute Solipsism are ultimately false. 

Other is a duality and construction of your own mind. You imagine parents in the same way you imagine others. When you really contemplate what other is, you are left with nothing but your own mind because other is constructed by the mind. Other is as real as Santa Clause, yesterday, your mom, and your imaginary friend. Without your mind constructing it, it would no longer exist. You are Me! 

Solipsism is a reality check: there is, it suggests, at least a possibility that objective reality is just a highly structured delusion, the sort of thing that you would expect if we don’t really exist and our consciousness is all just a computer simulation. I will use the simulation theory here as an argument of solipsism. 

the complexity and consistency of what we perceive as outside of us is such that you have to counter speculate that solipsistic computer simulation is just one of an infinity of speculative possibilities. If you are a solipsist, you have no way to assign a probability to each possibility of what reality might really be. As a result, you can only assign equal probability to each case and this is vanishingly small for any one case such as the solipsistic simulation.

Ie, reality is overwhelmingly likely to NOT be a solipsistic simulation. In which case other people do exist just as we perceive them and we are, at the very least, able to share communicable experiences with them.

The sum of these communicable experiences is an approximation of objective reality.

In other words, with just an infinitesimal shift from solipsism, objective reality bounces back into existence.

Therefore, my take is that you should ignore solipsism as an anomaly, although you can never be entirely sure. Your comfort should reside in the fact that if solipsism is true then there is no point in doing anything, so you might as well assume that isn’t true.

-Osho

21 minutes ago, Someone here said:

Therefore, my take is that you should ignore solipsism as an anomaly, although you can never be entirely sure. Your comfort should reside in the fact that if solipsism is true then there is no point in doing anything, so you might as well assume that isn’t true.

If you ignore Solipsism, you ignore Truth. But yeah there is no point in seeking Truth, Solipsism, or even living a good life. You can take the red pill or blue pill. It doesn’t matter. The fact of solipsism still remains that you can only be certain that you/consciousness exist. Everything else is a belief. Even simulation theory and aliens are a belief. You can only know that, whether or not it is true or false, appearances are happening now.

4 minutes ago, r0ckyreed said:

If you ignore Solipsism, you ignore Truth. But yeah there is no point in seeking Truth, Solipsism, or even living a good life. You can take the red pill or blue pill. It doesn’t matter. The fact of solipsism still remains that you can only be certain that you/consciousness exist. Everything else is a belief. Even simulation theory and aliens are a belief. You can only know that, whether or not it is true or false, appearances are happening now.

You are limiting yourself to a great degree . You are simply imposing the dichotomy of either solipsism or an objective reality. Not realizing that both can be true at the same time .

. To me it's  If I were the only consciousness in the universe why am I not in full control? In my (lucid) dreams I can fly and throw fire balls at bad guys. Why can't I do that in real life? If the entire universe exists only in my imagination how is that there are people who know things I don't? As far as I can see answering these questions in a manner consistent with solipsism makes conspiracy theories seem logical.

If your method leads you to solipsism you need new methods.

-Osho

6 minutes ago, Someone here said:

You are limiting yourself to a great degree . You are simply imposing the dichotomy of either solipsism or an objective reality. Not realizing that both can be true at the same time .

. To me it's  If I were the only consciousness in the universe why am I not in full control? In my (lucid) dreams I can fly and throw fire balls at bad guys. Why can't I do that in real life? If the entire universe exists only in my imagination how is that there are people who know things I don't? As far as I can see answering these questions in a manner consistent with solipsism makes conspiracy theories seem logical.

If your method leads you to solipsism you need new methods.

You are in full control, you just don't know this. Solipsism means absolute sovereignty. You wouldn't be scared of anything or anyone, because you would be too conscious to realize that they are you. And as r0ckyreed said Solipsism will bring you to Beauty, Intelligence, and Love. I would also say it is extremely liberating, relieving, and amazing. Alongside other things, there are so many great things you realize alongside Solipsism.

I am Physically Immortal

I am also more than God :)

21 minutes ago, amanen said:

You are in full control, you just don't know this. Solipsism means absolute sovereignty. You wouldn't be scared of anything or anyone, because you would be too conscious to realize that they are you. And as r0ckyreed said Solipsism will bring you to Beauty, Intelligence, and Love. I would also say it is extremely liberating, relieving, and amazing. Alongside other things, there are so many great things you realize alongside Solipsism.

Solipsism begins and ends with the assumption that your senses are faulty (purposefully or not) and do not provide information to your brain that approximates existence. The only piece of data that you can “observe” that is 100% verifiable and absolute is your own thought. Everything else has some measure of doubt or mere probability (and perhaps even your thought does as well).

But we have learned from quantum physics that reality itself is probabilistic, not absolute.

Solipsism is a possible configuration of the universe, just as is the possibility that you’re in a computer simulation, or that unicorns exist, or that you can walk through walls. But based on the all of your (possibly faulty) observations over your entire lifetime and the collective shared knowledge of our society the probability is exceedingly small.

Solipsism suggests that knowledge that is not 100% absolute is worthless, but then offers no explanation as to why you even have senses, much less explaining all of your hallucinations. It’s a model that very poorly fits the (admittedly incomplete) data

-Osho

@Someone here please you must one day try psychedelics to stop this solipsism theory you created in your human mind and wakeup to the real thing whatever you name it then. There are too many traps because the ego distorts solipsism in it's own way

@OBEler did you actually read my posts on this thread  ? I'm arguing AGAINST solipsism.  Not sure I understand your commemt.

-Osho

3 hours ago, Davius said:

I'm only scratching the surface of solipsism with my LSD trips, but I want to go deeper. It's still more of a concept rather than my direct experience.

After watching Leo's video on the topic for the first time this month I started applying solipsism to the aftermath of social situations.

Usually, I'd leave an embarrasing situation and beat myself up, feel down etc. Even if the interaction with someone wasn't negative in any way, I'd make up nonsense to put myself down. Now, I can just walk away and shrug it off most of the time, it's incredibly powerful.

Be careful using solipsism as a cope. Fundamentally, you're afraid to have low self esteem and be socially anxious. Own that. I am aswell.. so what? Real liberation is becoming that thing that you're afraid of. Super counterintuitive I know, yet it is the truth. 

"Sometimes when it's dark - we have to be the light in our own tunnel"

38 minutes ago, SamC said:

Be careful using solipsism as a cope. Fundamentally, you're afraid to have low self esteem and be socially anxious. Own that. I am aswell.. so what? Real liberation is becoming that thing that you're afraid of. Super counterintuitive I know, yet it is the truth. 

+1000.

Although I would go much deeper and let go of the low self esteem, social anxiety, and social anxious stuff.

Just now, Javfly33 said:

+1000.

Although I would go much deeper and let go of the low self esteem, social anxiety, and social anxious stuff.

How would you feel like if you couldn't let it go? trying to let it go will make it not go. So don't let it go.. Or do.. because what's the difference? ;)

The higest realizeation is that there never was anything to let go from and to let go of having to let go.

"Sometimes when it's dark - we have to be the light in our own tunnel"

4 hours ago, Davius said:

This is spiritual bypassing just so you know. You're using some spiritual truth to try and avoid your emotions. Even if you become conscious of solipsism, you still have social anxiety and whatever other emotional issues may come with that (self-esteem issues, trapped shame from childhood). Becoming conscious of solipsism doesn't resolve those, it just covers them up.

Resolve your social anxiety on a human level first, where it still seems like other people are real, then become conscious of solipsism. Don't use it as a crutch.

"We are born of Love, Love is our mother" - Rumi

My YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9vkQMt-MlvK9Xvnf-Ji

@Someone here @Someone here sorry Yeah Did not reat fully your posts. But for solipsism or against doesnt matter. I just feel you have a strong intellect about this topic and even if you speak truth, what you need is a direct experience of God

4 hours ago, Davius said:

This is called spiritual bypassing and is very dangerous if you do it the other way around ("these people don't exist, therefore I can do x to them"). Using spiritual beliefs as an emotional safety net should be avoided. Just do spiritual practices, contemplate why your mind reacts the way it does, and feel your emotions. If you feel embarrassed, then that is what you feel. Learn to expect feeling embarrassed and be ok with feeling that emotion.

Edited by Carl-Richard

Intrinsic joy is revealed in the marriage of meaning and being.

1 hour ago, SamC said:

How would you feel like if you couldn't let it go? trying to let it go will make it not go. So don't let it go.. Or do.. because what's the difference? ;)

Yeah I mean I totally understand that, it took me probably 10 years to let that fucking shit go Lol. I was saying it because eventually that's the way to "solve it".  

The higest realizeation is that there never was anything to let go from and to let go of having to let go.

I mean nobody is pushed to let go of anything. But as an option is important to recognize it.

Think it like this: If you can scratch the itch on your ass right now and get it over with to start enjoying life, why hold it for a fucking lifetime and bitch about it every single second ?