trenton

Common False Beliefs

18 posts in this topic

I think this would be a good educational thread that aims to disillusion is from many common mistakes. One of the interesting things about politics is that it is part of a mass self deception in which millions of people create an identity and cling to it. Collecting and discussing common false beliefs could help us to deconstruct our own worldview as well.

I hope to learn something interesting when users point out less well known mistakes. These are beliefs we take for granted and don't question.

to get a couple obvious ones out of the way.

1. The belief that Trump won the election. The accusation that democrats were cheating is analogous to an abusive relationship. The Republican party accused democrats of cheating to obfuscate their own cheating and the results of the election.

2. Vaccine conspiracy theories. These include vaccines cause autism, there are little robots spying on us, and more.

Common False religious beliefs

1. The belief that Satanists worship the devil. In reality most Satanists use Satan as a symbol of man as an animal. They are not literally blood cults.

2. The belief that religious beliefs are sacred. Big one. There are thousands of sects created by the many translations of holy texts. The civil war is an example of a major schism in Christian caused by the issue of slavery.

3. The belief that Christianity is a monotheistic religion. Big one. Although most sects of Christianity are monotheistic, polytheistic interpretations have existed throughout history. One argument is that the old and new testament are incompatible because one is written by a wrathful and righteous father while the other a loving and forgiving mother. Some archaeologists argue that God has a wife, but it was edited out of the bible. Although monotheism is universally accepted today, it was not always like this because polytheistic sects have existed in the past.

4. The belief that religion is nothing more than superstition is common in those who commit the pre-trans fallacy by lumping together Other forms of spirituality with the same dogmatism.

Other interesting examples

1. The belief that Hitler was Jewish. This is preposterous, but people believe it anyway. Hitler publicly supported Christianity, but in private he acted differently. I am not sure if he was faking it or not.

2. The belief that school shootings are a form of retaliation against bullying. A popular, but misguided assumption. In reality, school shooters fire into the crowd. Their targets are kids in the wrong place at the wrong time.

3. The belief that "murder" or "human being" can be objectively defined even during issues like abortion. If this belief is false, then the implication is that human beings are imaginary. Big one. It is very common for a human to believe that they are a human.

4. The belief that the leaders of enemy nations are insane. One example is Kim Jong Un. He launched a nuclear weapons program, causing Americans to fear him. This is a common stunt by North Korea given the unique political situation. Kim Jong Un acts crazy to make his enemies fear him and make them desperate for diplomacy. This forces concessions from other nations such as giving aid to the starving population. These stunts are not crazy, they are calculated and North Korea has a history of doing these sorts of things.

I will be interested to see what the rest of you come up with.

There may be some link between vaccines and austism. However, not the Covid mRNA vaccines. And all risks must be weighed against the risk of catching deadly diseases.

P.S. The claim that Hitler was Jewish is about his bloodline, not about his religion. He may have had Jewish ancestors. Not so unreasonable.

Edited by Leo Gura

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

@Leo Gura this kind of discussion is welcome.

I remember now that in Nazi Germany jew was defined differently. There are white nationalists who hold that Jews are a different race than white because they base it On blood, not beliefs. When I think "Jew" I think of a person who believes in the Torah and goes to a synagogue. Maybe there is more to being a Jew than I previously assumed. It seems a Jew could be that or someone who inherited Judaism from their parents by blood. Suddenly, I can see why a white nationalist or Nazi would be so afraid of Jewish blood. That would explain why they chanted "our blood and soil."

As for the claim about vaccines being linked to autism, there are many studies on it that claim the myth is debunked. Apparently the MMR vaccine is the most controversial. The reason people believe this is because Andrew Wakefield published a study on the MMR vaccine claiming it caused autism. He was stripped of his medical license in 2010 as the study was retracted by the Lancet. The ethical concern was that Wakefield failed to disclose that he applied for a patent for his own measles vaccine and was being paid to prove the vaccines were harmful. This man holds a lot of responsibility for spreading these lies and he is still out there claiming the CDC is covering up proof that vaccines cause autism.

What makes you think there is a connection? What study are you looking at?

22 minutes ago, trenton said:

@Leo Gura this kind of discussion is welcome.

I remember now that in Nazi Germany jew was defined differently. There are white nationalists who hold that Jews are a different race than white because they base it On blood, not beliefs. When I think "Jew" I think of a person who believes in the Torah and goes to a synagogue. Maybe there is more to being a Jew than I previously assumed. It seems a Jew could be that or someone who inherited Judaism from their parents by blood. Suddenly, I can see why a white nationalist or Nazi would be so afraid of Jewish blood. That would explain why they chanted "our blood and soil."

Dude, Nazis identified Jews not by their ideology but by bloodline. If your grandmother was a Jew, that made you a Jew. It's pure racism.

As for the claim about vaccines being linked to autism, there are many studies on it that claim the myth is debunked.

Yeah, well, I don't have much faith is such debunking efforts.

Debunk studies and science can be ridiculously unholistic and narrow. It's very hard to track all the relevant factors.

Mainstream medical science has trouble just admitting that metal teeth filings are poison. Science on the effects of toxins and heavy metals is really poor.

Edited by Leo Gura

16 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

Yeah, well, I don't have much faith is such debunking efforts.

Debunk studies and science can be ridiculously unholistic and narrow. It's very hard to track all the relevant factors.

Mainstream medical science has trouble just admitting that metal teeth filings are poison. Science on the effects of toxins and heavy metals is really poor.

@Leo Gura I can see why you think medical science is horrible. In this case it makes sense to hold the position that vaccines could cause autism, but our current understanding of science is not sufficient to prove this decisively. my doctor told me that the heavy metals in the food and water don't to hurt me. I use a water filter knowing that most water does not meet the epa safety guidelines.

In this case the false beliefs are scientific studies are trustworthy, science has reality figured out, and your doctor gives you good medical advice. Today's society has thoroughly conditioned me into thinking science should be trusted. I would seem unreasonable to them if I heavily doubted science, but it seems reasonable to doubt it anyway.

14 minutes ago, trenton said:

my doctor told me that the heavy metals in the food and water don't to hurt me.

Yeah, well, your doctor is an idiot.

3 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

There may be some link between vaccines and austism.

Autism is genetic, totally unrelated to environmental factors. And it's only a "disorder" because we're living in the Dark Ages. You also have to make a distinction between low IQ autism, which seems to have a completely different structural cause than its opposite, and high IQ, highly intelligent autism. The only similarity between the two is neural hypersensitivity, causing sensory overload or withdrawal/reticence or spasming, FROM COMPLETELY DIFFERENT CAUSES. They might as well be different entirely. The latter is something I won't fully get into here, in terms of meaning . . .

9 hours ago, AtheisticNonduality said:

Autism is genetic, totally unrelated to environmental factors.

Yeah, well, that's wrong. I know a doctor where half his business is just curing autistic kids.

If it was simply genetic then you couldn't cure it and also you wouldn't have so much more autism today than ever before.

Environmental toxins are a huge factor for triggering genetic sensitivities.

Edited by Leo Gura

I was born with autism. According to my research, there are people genetically predisposed to autism, and it can be influenced by environmental factors. However, all of these environmental factors involve a woman's pregnancy. Prenatal complications can influence the brain development of a fetus, thus creating a link to autism. The closest thing to a link between vaccines and autism would be the fact that pregnant women are advised not to take certain vaccines. It isn't like you give a five year old a vaccine and, it changes his brain structure this dramatically.

9 hours ago, AtheisticNonduality said:

Autism is genetic, totally unrelated to environmental factors. And it's only a "disorder" because we're living in the Dark Ages. You also have to make a distinction between low IQ autism, which seems to have a completely different structural cause than its opposite, and high IQ, highly intelligent autism. The only similarity between the two is neural hypersensitivity, causing sensory overload or withdrawal/reticence or spasming, FROM COMPLETELY DIFFERENT CAUSES. They might as well be different entirely. The latter is something I won't fully get into here, in terms of meaning . . .

I agree that in many cases autism could be a gift. There are people like Albert Einstein who are believed to have had high functioning autism. Autism can make it hard to relate to people emotionally, but people with autism can have enhanced logical abilities that compensate for this and can be used to create an alternative morality.

Low functioning autism is the most problematic with a failure to develop speaking. In fact autism is such a broad spectrum, that maybe low and high functioning autism shouldn't even be classified as the same condition. There are new distinctions being made in ADHD for example to distinguish different disorders. Autism is different for a lot of people And it is misleading to classify them in the same way.

8 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

Yeah, well, that's wrong. I know a doctor where half his business is just curing autistic kids.

If it was simply genetic then you couldn't cure it and also you wouldn't have so much more autism today than ever before.

Dr. Michael Cory

https://www.autisticworld.com/11-ways-autism-cure/#:~:text=Field Control Therapy – This is a pretty,Encephalitis is a cause for many mental illnesses.

This wildly contradicts what I learned about autism. There are others with autism who claim they cannot be cured because of how they were born while others claim that they were cured. Maybe for some it is environmental And for others it is genetic?

Now that I am finding sources which contradict each other, I am no longer as sure.

"Scientists have been reporting links between bacteria in the gut and autistic behavior since 1960. L-glutamine is an amino acid that repairs the lining of the stomach and can be quite beneficial, and can be found as a supplement. Another product that we have seen results with is Restore Gut Health Mineral Supplement."

this is an interesting quote from the site I looked at.

@trenton look up andy cutler heavy metal cheating. As far as i know its the # 1 environmental factor for autism

🗣️🗯️  personal dev Log Lyfe Journal 🗿🎭 ~ Raw , Emotional, Unfiltered

1 hour ago, Leo Gura said:

How many "doctors" do you trust? Anyone that claims they've cured a case of autism is either a liar or an idiot, fundamentally doesn't understand what it is. What about priests, lol, that cure demonic possessions? 

39 minutes ago, mmKay said:

@trenton look up andy cutler heavy metal cheating. As far as i know its the # 1 environmental factor for autism

No.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3846967/

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/26106752/

1 hour ago, trenton said:

I agree that in many cases autism could be a gift. There are people like Albert Einstein who are believed to have had high functioning autism. Autism can make it hard to relate to people emotionally, but people with autism can have enhanced logical abilities that compensate for this and can be used to create an alternative morality.

Actually autism allows for great emotional intelligence; there's just hypersensitivity, hence why there's been a description of it as an "intense world" (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3010743/).

Of course autism with high intelligence and high sensitivity is genetically superior; autistic idiots (ie. Musk)---this is a whole separate structure that's etiologically not the same at all, if we want to be medical about it.

Keep in mind one of the first major researchers of autism was the Nazi-collaborating Hans Asperger, who would allegedly decide which children with disabilities would be killed and which would be researched on while alive. He spared the ones he described as autistic because he noticed he had some traits identically that they had, and noticed their difference in intelligence. Hence they were not deemed by him to be genetically inferior. What a pleasant story . . .

If it was simply genetic then you couldn't cure it

Exactly.

If there's an environmental toxin that increases one's intuition by 444%, there isn't really a good reason to attempt to reverse what's happened. But anyway, there's a need to clean up some of your ignorances and inferiorities . . .

Humans should be able to switch between different modes, where they can understand perfectly and really experience both autism and non-autism, neither autism nor non-autism, etc.

I should probably share my personal experience on this issue because autism affects my behavior in many ways.

Hypersensitivity corresponds to a lot of experiences. This happened since I was a child and mother would yell at my sisters a lot. I was the one who cried and she had to adjust her behavior to account for these differences.

I commonly have intense interests bordering on obsessions. This can allow me to be very detail oriented and exceptional in any limited field.

I often laugh out loud instead of in my head. Apparently, most people don't struggle with this as much. This is why some people described me as a serial killer when I would pace back and forth a lot while laughing. Laughter is especially problematic when I am tired. This happened at school during seventh bell or toward the end of a long college day. Other classmates and the teacher would point out my strange behavior.

I have an improved memory when I am absorbed or interested in any particular topic. People with autism can become a perfectionist when small details start to annoy them. This goes into a little bit with OCD. Meanwhile my memory is very poor when I'm not interested and it can make me seem indifferent to others.

Guilt can be amplified in people with autism. This feeds into moral OCD when I'm afraid that I won't be able to control myself and I'm going to do something completely stupid. I am attempting to develop self trust to a sufficient degree so that I don't criticize myself when I have a thought which bothers me.

I am often weaker in verbal communication, and I find writing easier. Other people often expect me to give quick answers when talking. I am usually very quiet and dreaming about grand ideals.

I know somebody with a more extreme form of autism. This person is 14 and can't speak any language. Autism can be so different for so many different people that we may as well be talking about totally different conditions. It makes no sense to put Einstein in the same category as those with a very extreme form of autism.

Maybe if this condition were better understood as our understanding of medicine continues to evolve, then maybe the proper distinctions will be made one day. 

8 hours ago, trenton said:

I was born with autism. According to my research, there are people genetically predisposed to autism, and it can be influenced by environmental factors. However, all of these environmental factors involve a woman's pregnancy. Prenatal complications can influence the brain development of a fetus, thus creating a link to autism. The closest thing to a link between vaccines and autism would be the fact that pregnant women are advised not to take certain vaccines. It isn't like you give a five year old a vaccine and, it changes his brain structure this dramatically.

Low functioning autism is the most problematic with a failure to develop speaking. In fact autism is such a broad spectrum, that maybe low and high functioning autism shouldn't even be classified as the same condition. There are new distinctions being made in ADHD for example to distinguish different disorders. Autism is different for a lot of people And it is misleading to classify them in the same way.

Dr. Michael Cory

https://www.autisticworld.com/11-ways-autism-cure/#:~:text=Field Control Therapy – This is a pretty,Encephalitis is a cause for many mental illnesses.

This wildly contradicts what I learned about autism. There are others with autism who claim they cannot be cured because of how they were born while others claim that they were cured. Maybe for some it is environmental And for others it is genetic?

Now that I am finding sources which contradict each other, I am no longer as sure.

I don't claim all autism can be cured. I think there are various causes and forms of it. It's obvious that genetics AND environment play important roles.

But I know for a fact that my doctor has protocols that help many kids who show autistic symptoms. One of those protocols is heavy metal detox. And there are others. He has good success rates.

My doc is super super anti-vaxx. He told me many times not to take the Covid vaccine. I disagreed with him on the Covid vaccine and I think I was proven right by the data. Traditional vaccines are more problematic because they contain mercury, which is 100% a neurotoxin in ANY quantity. You cannot argue that mercury is safe to put into a child's body. This is scientifically incorrect.

But! You must weigh that danger against the danger of the spread of serious deseases like polio or small pox.

Edited by Leo Gura

12 hours ago, UnbornTao said:

That Jesus or Buddha were somehow white guys

lol

@UnbornTao racial bias is common across all cultures when depicting Jesus. You can look for Chinese Jesus for example. The goal is to make him more relatable by not only changing his color, but also his ideology. Jesus is essentially boiled down to whatever the culture at the time deems desirable.

This includes the belief that Jesus was a laissez faire free market capitalist. In communist countries Jesus is depicted as a man who would make up a whip of cords and use them to chase your animals out of a temple while yelling "do not turn my father's house into a marketplace" and scattering your coins.

An interesting observation is that the belief that we are living in the biblical end times has been a false belief for thousands of years. 10 million Americans still believe this because so long as the belief is held in the present it is unfalsifiable. Basically, the belief that the end of the world is tomorrow. Maybe tomorrow is the day aliens decide to blow up the earth.

On 06/09/2022 at 4:30 AM, UnbornTao said:

That Jesus or Buddha were somehow white guys

Wait, you mean Jesus wasn’t a long haired white guy born wearing a MAGA hat and a glock?!?

I call bullshit

The game of survival cannot be won. 

@Leo Gura Apparently you help the spread and creation of new variants by getting the vax, but watch for yourself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-i2iHtI6ccg&list=PLa-0XUt4I4qr9II4KEuEGr90SoF-YiuXl&index=2&ab_channel=Analyze%26Optimize

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXZt-YTPAus&list=PLa-0XUt4I4qr9II4KEuEGr90SoF-YiuXl&index=3&ab_channel=Analyze%26Optimize

And here one German report on people who got hurt badly by it. Watch with subtitles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gIfRSobbJEw&t=175s&ab_channel=MDRInvestigativ

Edited by Bronson