kuwaynej

Do We Have Free Will?

55 posts in this topic

Any side you take, it would be interesting to read your reason for taking which every side.

I Personally don't think we have free will. (open to all views/beliefs)

Reason be: We don't have control over any of the circumstances that leads to changes in our life. 

So therefore how can we control the end result.  We Literally Don't Have Control over anything.

...............................................................................................................................................................................................................................

People tend to agree that they dont know how their body function/operate; they might have an idea but they dont know the mechanics behind their action.

So if it is the case were we genuinely don't know how our body operates, why do we believe that we're in control?

Would really like to hear different views on this topic.

Edited by kuwaynej

Yup, agree.

There is no scientific evidence that you have free will. There is no "you" to begin with, but that's some deeper shit.

You can test it right now. Before you do something, there is always a thought process. That thought process could be an image of a split second you're not even aware of or the voice in your head for example. It's mostly the first. Can be a combination. You don't have any control over those thoughts. Try to do 5 things in the coming 10 minutes and contemplate it. Try to become aware of that thought and where it came from. You will see: there is no control center or command center (ego). Shit just kinda pops up out of nowhere. Some say it's from the subconscious. But that would mean you have just as much control over your heart beating as your thoughts.

The answer depends on how you define "we" and "will".

If we=individual: No

If we=universe:Yes

Let's say will = ability to choose one from a set of choices. An individual's choice is just universe's choice, so it doesn't really matter.

Problem arises only when you assume that its the individual who chooses. That's plain ignorance.

Edited by PureExp

My Blog : : Pure Experiences : : Pure Knowledge

@PureExp

To tell you the truth, I really think it matters. Because in everyday life we tend to believe that we have control over our actions.

And it well cause a lot of confusion, it can even alt our development.

We means, majority of humanity.

@kuwaynej Yes, it matters at the level of everyday worldly matters. E.g. Whether to hang a murderer or not. We can't simply say that it was Universe's will to kill and let him go :D

When I say it doesn't matter, I mean at the highest level, from the non-dual level. There is no paradox at highest level. Paradox is at the level of duality.

If we=majority, then the answer is still no. IMO, majority consider themselves as separate individuals.

My Blog : : Pure Experiences : : Pure Knowledge

You can do a little test right now in front of your computer. Move your mouse around on your desktop or this page. See that you have no idea where the mouse is going or what patterns you draw or when you stop moving your mouse. It all comes out of nowhere.

Even if you continiously draw the same pattern, the decision to do so was not made by you. Maybe that is the ego trying to take over control, to show that you have control, but i'm not sure about that.

I would think It's like being both the audience and actor of your own movie. From the actor's perspective he/she thinks they have free will, but from the audience's perspective it's only a movie and everything is following a script. 

As a Captain Steers his Ship... He controls the Rudder... but the Ocean is not tamable.

Some men/women are passengers on the boat, carried to distant lands by the will of the Captain and mercy of the Sea, but they chose to board the ship due to their desired destination(s)

Who knows when we will arrive but the winds and the waters?

Humanity knows so little, I don't think many can answer the question honestly and give a just explanation, it's really so complex and ever more simple than we think.

Perhaps our fates are in the hands of the Gods?

Poseidon_Neptune_Greek_God_Art_23.jpg

Edited by Lha Bho
Because Dragons

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society." - Jiddu Krishnamurti

Metaphorically speaking: Could God create a rock so heavy, that God could not lift it?

Yes! Freewill.

If God lifted freewill from creation, then it wouldn't be free anymore.

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society." - Jiddu Krishnamurti

Great topic!
I slept well last night, ate predictably, excercised predictably, did some predictable meditation, practiced songs I learned before, had sex, drank some caffeine, and of course logged in here...and what I am destined to say is, 

MEDITATIONS TOOLS  ActualityOfBeing.com  GUIDANCE SESSIONS

NONDUALITY LOA  My Youtube Channel  THE TRUE NATURE

I had no free will, I had to post here. Or maybe I was just a devil. hehe

There is neither free will nor determinism because there isn't a person that could be subjected to it in relation on an environment that is separate from it. Therefore all you can really say about this subject is that what is going on is a spontaneous happening that seems to be of itself so when you look from our subset of reality onto it.

Remember, when you talk about free will you create by definition a human being that needs to be separate from his environment so that he could act freely or determinedly . That separation is arbitrary because everything you know is a relation between what you call "you" and what you call the "environment". So if you take one of these away you cannot talk about yourself or the other any more because they are interdependent.

This is a give-away for enlightenment, anyway.

They want reality, so I give 'em a fatal dosage.

This quote comes to mind:

"What will not happen will never happen, whatever effort one may put forth. And what will happen will not fail to happen, however much one may seek to prevent it. This is certain. The part of wisdom therefore is to stay quiet." - Ramana Maharshi

“If you correct your mind, the rest of your life will fall into place.”  - Lao Tzu

We are all born into causation. We can all awaken to the freedom. This is what liberation is. 

To say you do not have free will, (I get it, everything happens because everything happened, etc) is robbing yourself of all responsibility for your life and every desire. You're not only the physical determination, you are also the Uncertain superposition. 

15 hours ago, Lha Bho said:

Who knows when we will arrive but the winds and the waters?

"Though you've built your ship sturdy, no mercy has the sea"

Edited by cetus56

21 hours ago, kuwaynej said:

Any side you take, it would be interesting to read your reason for taking which every side.

I Personally don't think we have free will. (open to all views/beliefs)

Reason be: We don't have control over any of the circumstances that leads to changes in our life. 

So therefore how can we control the end result.  We Literally Don't Have Control over anything.

...............................................................................................................................................................................................................................

People tend to agree that they dont know how their body function/operate; they might have an idea but they dont know the mechanics behind their action.

So if it is the case were we genuinely don't know how our body operates, why do we believe that we're in control?

Would really like to hear different views on this topic.

Have you literally, never changed a single circumstance for yourself based on what you want?