DefinitelyNotARobot

Why duality?

12 posts in this topic

Why not "triality" or "quadality" or whatever you'd call it? Is there a specific reason for there being two (from a dual standpoint), or is it just one out of an infinite possible variations? Could there be a universe with a "1000000ality"?

beep boop

Duality is the same as "1000000ality". All these differences that you are experiencing are "1000000ality". Actually, more like "infinite-ality". Notice, you don't just experience black and white (duality), but rather all the colors in between (infinity).

Anything beyond oneness is infinite, because oneness is infinite to begin with.

Another way to put it is that since oneness is infinite, and since it includes duality. That means duality can be broken down into more dualities/distinctions, and each sub duality/distinction can further be broken down into more sub distinctions, and so forth to infinity.

The concept duality is just to make things simpler. But in reality, it's like I explained. You can reduce infinity back to duality, to oneness, or even to nothing. Or you can stop at any level before reaching duality, like "triality" as Christians did when they created the concept of the Holy Trinity.

Edited by Gesundheit2

Foolish until proven other-wise ;)

It's the most fundamental case of separation.

Intrinsic joy is revealed in the marriage of meaning and being.

2 hours ago, DefinitelyNotARobot said:

Why not "triality" or "quadality" or whatever you'd call it? Is there a specific reason for there being two (from a dual standpoint), or is it just one out of an infinite possible variations? Could there be a universe with a "1000000ality"?

I think, in western thought, this goes back to the idea of thesis, antithesis and synthesis (which is transcending and integrating the two). Triads are actually the next stable unit after one (nonduality), because they act as checks and balances - that's why all the ancient wisdom traditions are full of triads.

Edited by Nilsi

“We are most nearly ourselves when we achieve the seriousness of the child at play.” - Heraclitus

From the Tao the one

From the One the Two

From the Two the Three

From the Three the myriad of all things

I would argue that the Three is critical. The third is the observer who relates the positions of the Two. One vs One sees only one. One vs Two sees Two and the multitude of all Twos. The Three is conciousness. Conciousness is relational. It relates and ascribes to difference absolute context and absolute relation.

Edited by TheOneReborn

15 hours ago, Gesundheit2 said:

The concept duality is just to make things simpler. But in reality, it's like I explained. You can reduce infinity back to duality, to oneness, or even to nothing. Or you can stop at any level before reaching duality, like "triality" as Christians did when they created the concept of the Holy Trinity.

That makes sense, so it's just about how you break down reality, with duality being the most fundamental distinction you can make as @Carl-Richard said, since everything begins with a separation between self and other (at least that's what my intuition tells me). Is there value to using higher-dimensional forms of separation, like trinity?

14 hours ago, Nilsi said:

I think, in western thought, this goes back to the idea of thesis, antithesis and synthesis (which is transcending and integrating the two). Triads are actually the next stable unit after one (nonduality), because they act as checks and balances - that's why all the ancient wisdom traditions are full of triads.

Wouldn't that only be the case prior to the synthesis? Once the synthesis is achieved, the thesis and anti-thesis no longer exist as separate forms and blend into one thing. So wouldn't the triad be the process of going from duality to wholeness?

But I'd agree in that, if you look at for example the universe, that triads seem to be a recurrent pattern. The most stable geometrical shape is the triangle. We also live in a 3 dimensional universe. Sure, we can break it down into the singular (dual) dimensions of -x/+x, -y/+y and -z/+z, but we can also look at how all of them interplay with each other and create an entirely new dimension. So there does seem to be some (relative) significance to triads, at least as far as physical reality is concerned.

beep boop

55 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotARobot said:

That makes sense, so it's just about how you break down reality, with duality being the most fundamental distinction you can make as @Carl-Richard said, since everything begins with a separation between self and other (at least that's what my intuition tells me). Is there value to using higher-dimensional forms of separation, like trinity?

Wouldn't that only be the case prior to the synthesis? Once the synthesis is achieved, the thesis and anti-thesis no longer exist as separate forms and blend into one thing. So wouldn't the triad be the process of going from duality to wholeness?

But I'd agree in that, if you look at for example the universe, that triads seem to be a recurrent pattern. The most stable geometrical shape is the triangle. We also live in a 3 dimensional universe. Sure, we can break it down into the singular (dual) dimensions of -x/+x, -y/+y and -z/+z, but we can also look at how all of them interplay with each other and create an entirely new dimension. So there does seem to be some (relative) significance to triads, at least as far as physical reality is concerned.

I don't know how significant this is, but triads have meta-stability, in the sense, that the syntheses between each of the nodes create a new triad - ad infinitum. So you can't really transcend this configuration in any meaningful way.

“We are most nearly ourselves when we achieve the seriousness of the child at play.” - Heraclitus

duality means subject and object. a subject that perceives what is not him. from the subject's point of view, there are only two. him, and what he is not. when it is said that duality is illusion it means that the subject and the object are not really separate. there is no subject and object, there is only perception, an apparent experience, within which is the illusion of being a subject. reality is absolutely absolute, no two, and you, who are the absolute, create the perception, and then another perception, and another, and as you are absolute and time is relative, so unreal, there is not before and after, and you put all those perceptions to play in a cosmic dance.

2 hours ago, DefinitelyNotARobot said:

everything begins with a separation between self and other

This and not that.

Intrinsic joy is revealed in the marriage of meaning and being.

7 hours ago, DefinitelyNotARobot said:

Of course.

A = B + C is an example of using higher-dimensional forms of separation like trinity. You can extend that example however you want and add D, E, F, etc.

Actually, it's also double-fold, because A, B, and C can be seen as one part, "+" as another, and "=" as another. Cuz each part represents a different meaning.

Edited by Gesundheit2

Foolish until proven other-wise ;)

Because it's the most fundamental case. When you make one slice through cake, it creates two parts. You can make as many slices as you want after that but it's just more of the same.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.