Devin

What would happen if all drugs were legalized?

74 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, Carl-Richard said:

Should we abolish clean needle rooms?

No, if you are an addict you should be treated as a medical patient and not a criminal

2 hours ago, something_else said:

No, if you are an addict you should be treated as a medical patient and not a criminal

Same with alcoholics, but no need to remove liquor stores. The main problems I see for legalization and regulation of hard drugs is how to ease the culture into it with the least possible friction. There will inevitably be problems in that process, just like with anything (look at collective electric scooters). But once that process is over, we'll be at roughly the same place as alcohol today. We already know alcohol kills millions each year, and it's considered the most harmful drug on most metrics, but it's still legal and regulated, because that is the least brain dead solution.

Intrinsic joy is revealed in the marriage of meaning and being.

17 hours ago, Blackhawk said:

You are insane if you think that fully legalizing selling, buying and use of all drugs would lead to good things.

I don't need any data for that, because I can use my brain to understand it.

You are like "where is the data which proves that drinking lava is a bad thing?"

I say: there is no data, because no one (except you, apparently) would be so insane and drink lava in the first place.

Do you think the war on drugs has any negative repercussions?

Edited by Devin

15 minutes ago, Devin said:

Do you think the war on drugs has any negative repercussions?

1. Complete corruption of society.
2. Complete corruption of society.

25 minutes ago, Carl-Richard said:

1. Complete corruption of society.
2. Complete corruption of society.

I think I agree, but would you elaborate?

There are many reasons for me but most people especially non poor get away with using drugs, this is not good if it is illegal, what does it communicate about law to everyone? It means we're corrupt, so then what's the point of laws? To be used selectively as a weapon, dishonestly, unethically.

49 minutes ago, Devin said:

I think I agree, but would you elaborate?

It's simply the case that this level of wide-scale abuse of society's citizens through mass incarceration and willfully fueling a multi-trillion dollar criminal underworld, merely for trying (and failing miserably) to control something that is generally less harmful than the most common legal drug (alcohol), is obviously just complete and utter madness. People will look back at drug prohibition the way we look back at slavery today.

The reason people are vary about it is because of fear, ignorance and stigma. If you have any experience with so-called hard drugs or know anything about pharmacology, it's patently obvious that drug prohibition makes zero sense. That said, I'm probably the most anti-drug person you can find. This is not a moral crusade. This about the health of society as a system. The specifics of legalization (e.g. what is sensible and safe) is a regulation problem, which will sort itself out just like it did with alcohol after the prohibition era.

13 minutes ago, Carl-Richard said:

It's simply the case that this level of wide-scale abuse of society's citizens through mass incarceration and willfully fueling a multi-trillion dollar criminal underworld, merely for trying (and failing miserably) to control something that is generally less harmful than the most common legal drug (alcohol), is obviously just complete and utter madness. People will look back at drug prohibition the way we look back at slavery today.

The reason people are vary about it is because of fear, ignorance and stigma. If you have any experience with so-called hard drugs or know anything about pharmacology, it's patently obvious that drug prohibition makes zero sense. That said, I'm probably the most anti-drug person you can find. This is not a moral crusade. This about the health of society as a system. The specifics of legalization (e.g. what is sensible and safe) is a regulation problem, which will sort itself out just like it did with alcohol after the prohibition era.

I think you mentioned alcohol regulation before, that goes right over my head, I see no restriction on alcohol, not even for kids, sure speed bumps but it was as available as lemonade when I was a kid 15 years ago. Some kids drank at school.

Edited by Devin

19 hours ago, Blackhawk said:

You are insane if you think that fully legalizing selling, buying and use of all drugs would lead to good things.

I don't need any data for that, because I can use my brain to understand it.

You are like "where is the data which proves that drinking lava is a bad thing?"

I say: there is no data, because no one (except you, apparently) would be so insane and drink lava in the first place.

LMAO don't need any data. Just proving you add absolutely nothing to the discussion. Lava metaphor is completely ridiculous and just further shows you have absolutely no understanding of why decriminalization has shown such positive results.

1 hour ago, Devin said:

I think you mentioned alcohol regulation before, that goes right over my head, I see no restriction on alcohol, not even for kids, sure speed bumps but it was as available as lemonade when I was a kid 15 years ago. Some kids drank at school.

When I say regulation, I'm not really talking about age limits for purchasing, or that this will have some kind of magical effect on deterring people from underaged drug use. That will happen anyway, prohibition or no prohibition. I'm mainly just talking about how drugs should literally be sold.

On 7/19/2022 at 8:04 AM, integral said:

Why aren't people abusing morphine like they do heroin? Because it's regulated. Maybe it's harder to manufacture morphine than it does heroin.

if all drugs became unregulated and legal I would put it in all the food that I manufacture and sell at the grocery store and addicted people to my food, exactly what cigarettes do with their product.

True freedom is regulated, naïve freedom is anarchy.

Yeah...... 

https://www.healthline.com/health-news/tech-sugar-and-fat-may-be-as-addictive-as-cocaine-052213

You are a selfless LACK OF APPEARANCE, that CONSTRUCTS AN APPEARANCE. But that appearance can disappear and reappear and we call that change, we call it time, we call it space, we call it distance, we call distinctness, we call it other. But notice...this appearance, is a SELF. A SELF IS A CONSTRUCTION!!! 

So if you want to know the TRUTH OF THE CONSTRUCTION. Just deconstruct the construction!!!! No point in playing these mind games!!! No point in creating needless complexity!!! The truth of what you are is a BLANK!!!! A selfless awareness....then that means there is NO OTHER, and everything you have ever perceived was JUST AN APPEARANCE, A MIRAGE, AN ILLUSION, IMAGINARY. 

Everything that appears....appears out of a lack of appearance/void/no-thing, non-sense (can't be sensed because there is nothing to sense). That is what you are, and what arises...is made of that. So nonexistence, arises/creates existence. And thus everything is solved.

"Legal" doesn't necessarily mean they become a commodity.

If they are legal through clinics for people addicted, regulated, and people aren't thrown in jail for use/possession then I think it would be an overall positive impact. 

I don't think we would see cocaine dispensaries or anything like that.

Selling them on the streets should still be illegal though.

17 hours ago, Zega said:

I don't think we would see cocaine dispensaries or anything like that.

Why? Imagine if you lived in the probition era discussing legalization and you said "I don't think we would see alcohol dispensaries or anything like that".