Proserpina

Type compatibility

153 posts in this topic

Just now, Yali said:

I don't know why you believe opposite values seek each other out. That's like saying an athiest and fundamentalist christain seek each other out. That's non-sense! @thisintegrated

w-what?! You're actually arguing.. this?!

This is an accepted fact at this point.  Elementary stuff.

Introverted functions are source.  They are what extroverted functions rely on to actually do anything.

Te is nothing without Ti.  Te is only as good as its Ti sources.  A Te CEO of a software company is useless without Ti users doing the coding.  A Te king is useless without his Ti advisors.

A society can't operate with just one half of the functions.  This is true at all levels.  World → Country → City → Family → Couple.  A family can't have the same functions, as that would be an imbalance.  A couple can't have the same functions, as that would be an imbalance.

4 hours ago, thisintegrated said:

Te is nothing without Ti.  Te is only as good as its Ti sources.  A Te CEO of a software company is useless without Ti users doing the coding.  A Te king is useless without his Ti advisors.

@thisintegrated

I haven't got a clue what you're talking about. We must be getting our information from different sources.

Edited by Yali

7 minutes ago, Yali said:

@thisintegrated

Were getting out infomation from different sources because I haven't got a clue what you're talking about. 

Some functions generate information, while others make use of it.  It's one of the fundamental ideas of MBTI.

4 hours ago, thisintegrated said:

Some functions generate information, while others make use of it.  It's one of the fundamental ideas of MBTI.

Oh so you're saying functions generate infomation for its opposite function to use, and that's what produces compatibility?

@thisintegrated

Edited by Yali

7 minutes ago, Yali said:

Oh so you're saying each function generates infomation for its opposite function to use, and that's what produces compatibility?

@thisintegrated

Essentially, yes.  In one way or another.

Fi generates feeling.  Fe seeks out the feelings of others.

Ti generates logic.  Te seeks out the logic of others.

Even if an Fi was in a happy relationship with another Fi, the Fi would still need an Fe in their life.

Functions need their other halves.  People need their other halves.

And if a person with the same functions isn't enough, which they never are, then that's an issue of compatibility!

Perfect compatibility = not needing anyone else.

Edited by thisintegrated

1 minute ago, thisintegrated said:

Functions need their other halves.  People need their other halves

Who'd you learn this from? @thisintegrated

@thisintegrated Ok man, looks like you've got a theory that you feel confident about but it doesn't reflect my life experience.

I notice as an INTJ I get along very well with ISFP, ESFP, ENTJ, INTJ whereas INTP,ENTP,ESFJ,ISFJ are fire and ice.

Edited by Yali

Just now, Yali said:

@thisintegrated Ok man, looks like you've got a system that you feel confident in but that doesn't reflect my life experience.

I notice as an INTJ I get along very well with ISFP, ESFP, ENTJ, INTJ whereas INTP,ENTP,ESFJ,ISFJ is fire and ice.

You're sure you're not mistyped?  INTJs love and admire INTPs.  They're everything the INTJ wants to be.  Smart, talented, competent, logical.

They also secretly admire/envy ENTPs for being just as smart while still having people skills and emotional awareness.

Just now, thisintegrated said:

INTJs love and admire INTPs.

I've had two INTP friends in my life and although we had similar temperaments, we were on totally different wavelengths mentally speaking. 

Quasi-identical relation:

The quasi-identical relation describes two types that are similar in their strengths, weaknesses and energy levels, but opposite in quadra values. These types can appear superficially similar to each other on the outside, but have motivations and values that strongly contrast with each other, making them near opposites on the inside. Despite not being suited to support each other whatsoever, quasi-identicals have a better chance of getting along with each other in contrast to the other opposing quadra relations

@thisintegrated

4 minutes ago, Yali said:

I've had two INTP friends in my life and although we had similar temperaments, we were on totally different wavelengths mentally speaking. 

Quasi-identical relation:

The quasi-identical relation describes two types that are similar in their strengths, weaknesses and energy levels, but opposite in quadra values. These types can appear superficially similar to each other on the outside, but have motivations and values that strongly contrast with each other, making them near opposites on the inside. Despite not being suited to support each other whatsoever, quasi-identicals have a better chance of getting along with each other in contrast to the other opposing quadra relations

@thisintegrated

Romantically it's a disaster, yes.  But in terms of comradery, similarities are a positive.  INTJ + INTP should be very good friends, and decent business partners.

The problem with Socionics is it doesn't distinguish between different types of compatibility.

Edited by thisintegrated

5 hours ago, thisintegrated said:

The problem with Socionics is it doesn't distinguish between different types of compatibility.

@thisintegrated

Yes it does. 

INTJs and INTPs belong to the same club and share similar interests. But beyond sharing interests, INTJs and INTPs have very little in common. They value opposite functions.

https://www.sociotype.com/socionics/clubs/

Clubs are often a common nucleus of spontaneous social interaction (as opposed to "non-spontaneous" as in work, study etc) in modern western societies, and therefore a very common point of formation for social groups, more so than quadras since spontaneous social interaction with new acquaintances tends to be based on common activities and interests if not based on extension of one's close social circle, where quadras are more relevant.

Edited by Yali

1 minute ago, Yali said:

@thisintegrated

Yes it does.

It acknlowedges that INTJs and INTPs belong to the same club, and hence can bond over shared interests. But beyond shared interests, INTJs and INTPs have very little in common since they value totally different functions.

So in other words.. highly compatible in terms of friendship?  You're just agreeing with me here.  Friends are people who "can bond over shared interests".  What else do friends do?  INTJ + INTP are about as compatible as it gets for friendships.

1 minute ago, Yali said:

@thisintegrated

If it weren't for common interests, they wouldn't be friends whereas types who share the same functions are satisifed being with each other just for the sake of it.

No they aren't.  No common interests + no romantic interest = no relationship of any kind.

I'm not friends with any ENTPs.  All my friends are friends because of common interests.  That's how it is for 100% of people.

1 hour ago, thisintegrated said:

Interesting.  I thought INFPs would be quick to love someone.  I can love people from just seeing a single post of theirs on the forum.  I can immediately feel a person and understand them on a deep level without even getting to know them personally.  I guess it's an Fe thing??

It could be a Fe thing, I used to have more of that when I was younger - but I learned that the way I love tends to be based more on fantasy, than seeing the person for who they are - I would get these really wild crushes that had more to do with expectation than anything else.  Now that I am older, I take a step back and try to take my time.  There's always this knowing in the back of my mind that my love isn't entirely based on who they are, but what I perceive them to be and I don't like that when that happens to me, so I try not to do it to others.  ENTPs are more grounded in reality than INFPs are, so what you see in others is probably more indicative of who they are as people than what I tend to plaster over others.  This only happens with crushes, though, with just the general population I have a pretty good sense of who they are and what they are about.

Yep.  imo ENTP is the most balanced type.  The intellect of an INTP with the emotional awareness of an ENFJ.

I have not met too many in the real world, my dad is one and we get along well.  From what I have seen online and past acquaintances that I had, they are very adaptable to most situations.

She went to a psychologist, found out she's even more fucked up than she realized, decided she's not ready for a relationship.

Oh that's sad, generally one can work through these things with a partner if they're already established.  Maybe she didn't want to put that burden on you?

Yep.  Ni = fantasy land.  INTJ = think they know what they want, but actually don't.

Yes, this has been my experience.  Which is fine, I realize that they tend to live in a world of possibilities and that this can conflict with the reality of a situation; in my own way, I can be the same in not knowing what I want, vacillating a lot.  It does lead me to question why people pair them with EXFP's, who are very chaotic, also don't know what they want and usually are not very grounded.  Upon further reflection, a grounded, in the real world ENTP would work well.

I hope Atheistic is taking notes.

I'm just being sarcastic, I don't think a fanatical EXFP would be a good choice, either.  I've had many, many ENFP friends and they don't lend for long term stability.

So this idea of duality is 100% complete bullshit, in my very well informed opinion.  I don't think there's any validity to duality whatsoever.  I've heard every argument.  I've research Socionics for years.  It's just wrong here.

I agree with you there, I can't imagine that someone who has my functions, but turned upside down would have enough in common with me to make anything work.  Fe + Fi is great but Fi + Fi is generally butting heads unless they both have the same values, but values can change over time, whereas Fe just kind of rolls with it.

@thisintegrated I've shared interests with INTPs but I felt our relationship lacking and I assume that's because of a lack of shared cognitive functions.

Just because I share common interests, that doesn't mean I like them. We've got common interests to bond over, but otherwise our relationship is mute. 

Edited by Yali

3 minutes ago, Yali said:

@thisintegrated I trust my experience.

Even though I've shared interests with INTPs, I felt our relationship was still lacking and I assume its because we share no cognitive functions as Socionics suggests.

My relationships with all "smart" types have always been good.  INTJs may have poor social skills, but I still like them.  INTPs may be too cerebral, but they're still fun.  ISTJs might be boring, but.. *ahem* anyway.. every type has some weakness, but that's never a problem to me.  I can talk to INTJs all day every day, but they just can't keep up with ENTP energy levels.  I very rarely conclude someone's not worth my time and ghost them, though I imagine this is something a NiFi like yourself does with some regularity.

17 minutes ago, Loba said:

I have not met too many in the real world, my dad is one and we get along well.  From what I have seen online and past acquaintances that I had, they are very adaptable to most situations.

??

I'm just being sarcastic, I don't think a fanatical EXFP would be a good choice, either.  I've had many, many ENFP friends and they don't lend for long term stability.

From what I've seen of Carl, this does make sense.

I agree with you there, I can't imagine that someone who has my functions, but turned upside down would have enough in common with me to make anything work.  Fe + Fi is great but Fi + Fi is generally butting heads unless they both have the same values, but values can change over time, whereas Fe just kind of rolls with it.

Exactly!

Ni-Fi's don't actually generally ghost people.  They observe you first, then speak with you.  They'll ghost you before speaking to you, but once they reach out - this isn't a trait they often have.  It's usually Fi-Ne users that ghost others, and sometimes Ne-Fi.  I don't know much about the mating habits of sensors to qualify to add anything here.

@thisintegrated

So do you feel I as an INTJ would get along with an ESFJ?

CS Joesph thinks so. He thinks we're one of the most compatible pairing, which is laughable because that does not at all reflect my experience with that type. 

Instead, Socionics hits it on the nail -- http://www.socionics.com/rel/cnf.htm

Edited by Yali