BlessedLion

I Quit My Job And Don’t Think I Can Ever Go Back To Working

12 posts in this topic

Basically I had a top notch job. Tons of money, flexible hours, freedom to travel, remote. I mean the fucking lottery of jobs. 

But here’s the thing, it was sucking away my soul. I don’t know why but it was almost so comfortable that it was MORE dangerous than having a shitty 12 hour day job. I saved a ton with them (it actually put me in the top 1% of people my age in the US, 28) and “retired” in Mexico. 

Man, this shit is fucking awesome. I could see how for someone with a ton of addictions or no passions it would be meaningless, hence people having breakdowns when they retire. But I just wake up everyday do yoga, meditate, read and eat breakfast slowly, then sit on the beach and contemplate for 4-5 hours. Once that is done it’s like 6PM so I either surf, hike, walk around, or hang out with a girl. Many of which I just meet on the beach in bikinis. 

I realize that if I had stayed with my job I’d be a millionaire but honestly, fuck it. This is so much better, and I think I’ll be able to go deep into my meditation practice which is my passion and base my life purpose around that for income. 

TLDR; life is short, feeling alive is worth more than anything anyone can pay you, there are billionaires who would give up all their money to feel as alive and connected to life that I do. 

If you’re on the fence about it, try it. Save up enough money and love to a cheap country where there are expats. It’s super counter intuitive, and so much programming says it’s crazy. But it’s fucking heaven. At least for me. 

I live in Ana apartment facing the beach, do yoga, surfing, trips, eat out at nice dinners and overall spend around 1500/mo but I have freinds making it work on like $500/mo and no they are living like homeless people, everything is so cheap down here that’s like standard 

@BlessedLion I you were to start again from zero, how would you get to the position where you are right now?

It's sounds so cool but at the same time I would not know where to start

Btw thanks for sharing, this is very inspiring 

fuckin awesome bro. 

I'm trying to save a million or two and then do the same as you :) 

@LeoX8

great question. It’s hard to say because the path unfolded in such an unpredictable way. But if I was starting right out of college I would immediately get a remote job then move to Costa Rica, Brazil, or Mexico and work from there.  That way I’d be making US money but spending Latin. Invest all the money I’m saving in stocks real estate and Bitcoin, then when I feel enough is saved, retire. 

also in that time you can develop spiritually so you can ultimately handle something like 6-7 hours of meditation per day. Live with a spiritual community or in hostels and hook up with tantric goddesses. 

the key is to just make the leap and figure it out as you go. It helps to know people but it’s easy to meet expats in these places 

@PenguinPablo right on bro, that’ll go super far in Latin America 

@JoeVolcano if you don’t mind me asking what’s your education? What do you do now? You need less than you think to live well in Latin America. Don’t get into victim mindsets. 

@BlessedLion Sounds amazing.  Currently trying to build my YouTube channel so I can work from anywhere and live this type of life!  I realize it may take a few more years stuck at my current miserable job, but it's going to be worth it! 

I just had 5 months off work, unpaid, for medical reasons, and I spent that time planning and starting my new career and life plan.  Worth it!! 

"I could be the walrus. I'd still have to bum rides off people."

Do you not want to use any of that time to help a world that is suffering while you laze about?

:D

@ZenAlex he took the time to create this thread, as a tool to help those who suffer from similar dissatisfaction.  Perhaps he is also embodying and integrating a lifestyle that isn't so resource wasteful, or cultivating a persona that sooths others worries during conversation.. 

Helping the world doesn't always have to look like feeding the homeless and planting trees all day. 

"Be the change you wish to see in the world."

Edited by Mason Riggle

"I could be the walrus. I'd still have to bum rides off people."

I am in a similar position, but I am not feeling the joy that you have gained! In the past two years I have bought enough airbnbs and rental units so that I haven't worked in 4 months. A relationship has come to an end in that time and now I am feeling a bit depressed. I have taken the life purpose course and I need to get my ducks in a row to start pursuing it but all that said... I doubt I will ever go back to 9-5 job also. Its torture for the soul! I also enjoy meditation, reading, running, and golf. But the time has also let me reflect that most of the time I have spent in my life has been wasted... Your deepest regrets start bubbling up to the surface when not distracted with the 9-5 and its been a hard go for me.

On 07/07/2022 at 3:54 PM, ZenAlex said:

Do you not want to use any of that time to help a world that is suffering while you laze about?

I dunno man, there's far worse things you can do than laze around.

Be-Do-Have

Made it out the inner hood

There is no failure, only feedback

Sounds great for you. I'd need to sort out my psyche first, let alone finances before that sort of life.

Be-Do-Have

Made it out the inner hood

There is no failure, only feedback