Tanuj

Is It Bad To Meditate At Night?

12 posts in this topic

I always do my meditation session late at night. Like really late. It is currently 1:17 am EST and I am planning to do my meditation session in about 20 minutes. Does it affect the quality at all versus doing it in the morning, or right after waking up? 

It's fine. Sometimes it can interrupt quality of sleep or make one overly energized depending on the type of meditation and your temperament. In that case you can scale back the time that you do it. If you are not having any issues then you have nothing to worry about. The only thing I would suggest on this note is maybe don't do it immediately before sleeping so you don't associate the two together.

If you choose to meditate in the morning or earlier in the day however, you can enjoy the more 'immediate' benefits of meditation throughout the day. This is personal choice. Meditation creates temporary effects that kind of taper off throughout the day. Ideally, you would meditate both early morning right after you get up, and also in the evening to enjoy those benefits throughout. Overall and 'long-term' benefits of meditation will not be wasted if you do it late at night though.

As a side note: Some schools of thought say that the thoughts and energy that you carry into the moments before falling asleep are powerfully expanded or imprinted into the subconscious - so perhaps having a clearer mind before sleep would have an advantage in that way as your unwanted thought-energies may be more neutralized. 

Edited by Arman

I've found that meditations at night are more probable to be breakthrough experiences than the morning meditations. It's probably because of the brain chemicals that your brain releases at night and that its easier to relax and so on. So yeah, do it at night. I always meditate in the morning and do sometimes an additional one at night right before I go sleep. Its beautiful.

They want reality, so I give 'em a fatal dosage.

@Tanuj It depends on the kind of meditation you are doing. As you know, there are 100s of varieties suited for different purposes. So let us know the details.

I'd stick to the advice of the teacher (guru or master who initiated you into that practice). If you are doing it on your own, hopefully you know what you are doing ;)

Anyway, in general morning time is highly recommended (traditionally). Especially the time around 3:30 AM. I don't know what's special at this time, but its worth trying. If you are into energy work, that time is recommended (by some, I don't have much experience). Anything that agitates the mind or alters breathing should be avoided just before sleeping.

My Blog : : Pure Experiences : : Pure Knowledge

One teacher, if I understood him correctly, said that meditation at night is easier because the collective mind energy is more quiet and peaceful (because most people are sleeping at that time I guess).

Yeah I have been doing the Do-Nothing technique at night for like 2 months now and it seems to be working the only downside is I dont get that afterglow that meditation gives since I go to sleep after it. Thanks for all the advice though. 

@Azrael How long o you typically meditate per sitting? And I would imagine that anything is beautiful after taking 5MeO lol you could be getting cut off in traffic and still enjoy it im sure. :P

2 hours ago, Tanuj said:

@Azrael How long o you typically meditate per sitting? And I would imagine that anything is beautiful after taking 5MeO lol you could be getting cut off in traffic and still enjoy it im sure. :P

Typically 60 minutes.

They want reality, so I give 'em a fatal dosage.

I usually start my sleep with a motionless awareness meditation. I just lie on my bed while being effortlessly aware. 

I like meditating at night. Strict mindfulness practice is a bit heavy, I prefer either detaching from thoughts or just sitting lapping up the peace and quiet around me. If I do it right at the time between being in my normal day mode and being tired, it's great.

Edited by RossE

Founder of The Great Updraft: Articles, Courses + More

www.thegreatupraft.com