MarkKol

Do you ever just look at everyone's work and think, that sucks

19 posts in this topic

I go around life looking at people's work, and if its something I'm actually interested in for example Cartoons, Laptops or music. I always have this high standard for it, and because of that most don't meet my expectations, most are underwhelming. I have this high level of excellence for work I'm passionate about. I just look at 80-90% of cartoons and think to myself: wow that fucking sucks, how could you invest so many years into this and still be this bad at it? now... here and there I find a gem, a cartoon that is top-notch amazing, or a song that is absolutely mindbogglingly good. I think this is the case with everyone's work, majority = bad, tiny minority = good. I see huge series with more than 1000 episodes but not a single good one, but then I see small team projects that blew me away. and also... the biggest companies in the industry always make the worst products. The most followed make the worst content, visa versa. I don't know why this is but its without a doubt the case. usually its that guy that comes out of nowhere that transforms the entire industry. This might be because our definitions of a perfect <product> are getting tighter and tighter everyday the better we see and the better we make, or it could be simply because everyone sucks.

Anyone feel the same way?

@MarkKol

17 minutes ago, MarkKol said:

I go around life looking at people's work, and if its something I'm actually interested in for example Cartoons, Laptops or music. I always have this high standard for it, and because of that most don't meet my expectations, most are underwhelming. I have this high level of excellence for work I'm passionate about. I just look at 80-90% of cartoons and think to myself: wow that fucking sucks, how could you invest so many years into this and still be this bad at it? now... here and there I find a gem, a cartoon that is top-notch amazing, or a song that is absolutely mindbogglingly good. I think this is the case with everyone's work, majority = bad, tiny minority = good. I see huge series with more than 1000 episodes but not a single good one, but then I see small team projects that blew me away. and also... the biggest companies in the industry always make the worst products. The most followed make the worst content, visa versa. I don't know why this is but its without a doubt the case. usually its that guy that comes out of nowhere that transforms the entire industry. This might be because our definitions of a perfect <product> are getting tighter and tighter everyday the better we see and the better we make, or it could be simply because everyone sucks.

Anyone feel the same way?

Hahaha yes, it's part of my character strength, appreciation of beauty and excellence, also some values in my top ten values. It's hard not to have high standards for the things, topics and fields of interest you have. I tend to think people who have medium, or low standards are just not into whatever field of work/interest they are in, not passionate enough.

However, this all depends on many factors inside and outside context, like the value system the person has, their cognitive and moral development, their states of being and emotional states, their general and specific life experiences so far, and lines of development per domain of life. I love the monthly release mature mangas, as the artists in that part of the industry do put in a ton of effort to make the backgrounds and character design and story really good, and compared to other shoujo mangas or animes, the classic sailor moon series still has top notch colouring for it's time, so I tend to project high standards here related to eastern comics as well as western comics, but not as high as with chess, or snooker, or boxing, as while I like them, I like comics and video games much more. I guess it really comes down to which art you were exposed to first, and how much experiences consumer/creator wise in that field, that fuels the high standard.

Great recent examples in the game industry: Elden ring (by FromSoftware, never heard of them?) vs Cyberpunk 2077 (cd projekt red)

Cartoons (I'm only going to show the scenes and art work, not claiming anything about the story)

Scenes from Boruto: Naruto Next Generations 

MV5BZDI4YjY4ZjktNTQ1Yi00MWFjLTk5ZmItYmI1NjhjNGVmOTkwXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMzExMzk5MTQ@._V1_.jpg

boruto-episode-74-team-10-fight-scene-winner-1134968.jpg

tarattar.jpg

MV5BZjhiYzE5MDYtMDA4Ny00ZDc4LWEwNTEtZjI3NDQ3MjM3YzIxXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMzExMzk5MTQ@._V1_.jpg

Scenes from Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba (Compare Naruto to this one)

Screenshot 2022-03-22 204811.png 

qXsVayNBGNZejBMQeYNiHa.jpg

1620617526142.png

Demon-Slayer-discover-a-great-Rengoku-cosplay.jpg

Edited by MarkKol

Great example of high excellence even when nobody really sees it (Inside Macbook Pro vs Inside Asus Zephyrus M16)

macbook-pro-teardown-1.jpg

csm_Asus_ROG_Zephyrus_M16_10_1a4c18eaba.jpg

18 minutes ago, Danioover9000 said:

still has top notch colouring

YES!!! colors! extremely important 

I'm glad we share some interests ghost girl guy :)

I think it all comes down to the good old rule "Quality > Quantity", never 
forsake the wisdom of those good old quotes. we put such quotes in our facebook bio's but never actually implement and appreciate them.

Most companies remind me of how we factory farm animals, its all optimized for mass, not quality of the meat. these companies are so common I started naming them factory farmers

I guess there is also the notion of - well some will just be really, really good at it and in context to the others, the others do not look to great.  Having a sensitive eye for what needs/should to be done is a tremendous gift/talent and it will probably vary from person to person.

I also agree with the passion part where someone may not be as interested in it as someone else or just as skilled at it.

I can see the benefit of going for quantity just to get more experience and hopefully develop quality as a by-product but I can also see the benefit of just going for quality and that could eventually lead to more quantity later on. 

I can look at my own work and be like, ah the quality is low haha.  Some of us aren't as talented and we KNOW it and some are just SO FREAKIN AMAZING.

I was talking about this topic with another person TODAY actually related to video games and how the Mario Kart series was super cool and now the quality seems like it got WORSE.. where even though the graphics may be better, the charm is missing and it seems dull or lacking something.  We were thinking one reason could be is because the creators are not as excited about it because they are basically just doing a re-make of something that was made before (movies, video games, plays, etc.) and so because it isn't new, the creative aspect and spark just isn't there.  

If someone is getting to make a whole brand new thing, that could be super exciting.  If someone is just doing a re-make of something from X years back, it can be like, well this is kinda not inspiring and is more just for money.

I guess also looking at how with movies or tv shows, the more seasons or movies there are, the quality of the product could start to go down over time.

But also, it could be based on the integrity of the group and how much training they have and how much they actually care about the final product.

Ah there is so much music and movies where it can be like, this really is quite bad - but that will also be super subjective and based on what we have already seen.  

Nope, your mindset its very toxic and it will harm you in the longrun

The Naruto show has been going on for so long the animators are probably bored out of their minds and phoning it in at this point. Boredom is a real killer for inspiration and creativity.

And in regards to the macbook and asus comparison, you just have to look at the price differences and understand you can’t expect the same kind of eye for detail

Edited by vizual

RIP Roe V Wade 1973-2022 :)

@Alex_R

15 hours ago, Alex_R said:

A mindset being considered toxic is relative to if that is the only mindset available to that person. For example, if cognitively you are thinking in constant negative thought patterns, inner sights/sounds/feelings summing up negativity, and are not aware of other ways of thinking, other mindsets, then that person will not be aware that their mindset is toxic, as the materialistic/pragmatic/utilitarian worldview isn't just a notion but an actual real world view to them. When a person who is more right brained (intuitive, holistic, emotional, non rational) personality traits, interacts with a rationale, pragmatic/utilitarian viewing personality, the differences makes it seem toxic, but it's only toxic from the POV of the artsy person, and vice versa, when some contexts come into play. Also, differences in value systems, moral development, states of being, and life experiences and other lines of development, are a factor.

But that doesn't mean the pragmatic person is evil. That view has a place and time that is necessary to have.

The writing for demon slayer is one big cliché repetitive copy paste zero originality and highly predictable. it can't be any more underwhelming.

Boruto is a bit better but the artwork is worse than demon slayers but because the scenes in Boruto have emotional value have interest have memorability it makes the art work commect stronger to the viewer and this far outweighs demon slayers better art.  

The beauty in art is completely subjective and constructed.

Berserk the original anime the artwork wasn't that great from the lens of someone who didn't watch it But if you did watch it you would realize it's a masterpiece and you fall in love with art.

Walking into a bar doing pick up how important is your looks? How fast does a woman become attracted to you when you're a master at game? suddenly the perspective she had of you when she first saw you and then after she started talking to you is night and day. Maybe at first you were a meh And after you became the most attractive guy in the building.

Edited by integral

How is this post just me acting out my ego in the usual ways? Is this post just me venting and justifying my selfishness? Are the things you are posting in alignment with principles of higher consciousness and higher stages of ego development? Are you acting in a mature or immature way? Are you being selfish or selfless in your communication? Are you acting like a monkey or like a God-like being?

@MarkKol  Also a factor is nostalgia and the gap of difference between current art and past art. I look at demonslayer or Boruto, and the factors like art quality, animation,  line work, values, sounds, production, narrative structurex and compare them to past manga/anime works like Berserk 1990 anime/manga, or the Sailor moon and it's entire 5 seasons, and I can't help see current forms of art as inferior in terms of high quality and skill needed to produce mangas like Berserk, or animation and colouring like the classic Sailor moon series. It's like comparing this age of abstract woke artists to those of the renaissance like Leonardo da Vinci or Michelangelo, and their masterful level of knowledge and skill needed to paint or sculpt a masterpiece, and other inner qualities that needed to be developed to match that level of quality. Or, comparing badly drawn western comics or mangas that are lately cropping up, to works from David Funch or Alen Moore, or to Sennin mangakas that made Vinland Saga, Vagabond and Berserk. It's insane how much training is needed, and how little current artists appreciate past excellence when they see it. It's like a hidden jealousy that some of those types of artists are not aware of, or in denial, of the possibility of there actually being inferior and superior art works.

Edited by Danioover9000

On 3/24/2022 at 1:29 AM, Alex_R said:

Why?

On 3/24/2022 at 1:40 AM, vizual said:

And in regards to the macbook and asus comparison, you just have to look at the price differences and understand you can’t expect the same kind of eye for detail

I'm aware of the price differences, but I don't believe its because its internal component management, its because apple is a luxury brand. I'm not bias towards Apple, I mostly dislike them actually.

14 hours ago, integral said:

The writing for demon slayer is one big cliché repetitive copy paste zero originality and highly predictable. it can't be any more underwhelming.

Agree, its structure Is cliche based on classic shounen. But I'm not talking about demon slayer as a story nor am I praising its writer Koyoharu, I'm complimenting Ufotable, The animation studio that is responsible for the animation, music, voices behind Demon slayer. It's groundbreaking.

14 hours ago, integral said:

Boruto is a bit better but the artwork is worse than demon slayers but because the scenes in Boruto have emotional value have interest have memorability it makes the art work commect stronger to the viewer and this far outweighs demon slayers better art.  

In my opinion Boruto as well and Naruto have 0 emotional value. Its subjective and I respect your opinion on it

13 hours ago, Danioover9000 said:

Vinland Saga

Agree on everything, man... Vinland... forgot about that one, its marvellous. also ever heard about Made In Abyss, its also worth mentioning.

16 hours ago, integral said:

Walking into a bar doing pick up how important is your looks? How fast does a woman become attracted to you when you're a master at game?

Walking into a bar doing pick up as a woman how important is your looks? How fast does a man become attracted to you when you're a master at looks

I care about every aspect of a great story, not just one. which means I also care about the animation. and even If I was a woman that cared more about a man's personality than his looks. this would still be the case. I would say your example is unfit in this scenario

Edited by MarkKol

@MarkKol

19 hours ago, MarkKol said:

Walking into a bar doing pick up as a woman how important is your looks? How fast does a man become attracted to you when you're a master at looks

I care about every aspect of a great story, not just one. which means I also care about the animation. and even If I was a woman that cared more about a man's personality than his looks. this would still be the case. I would say your example is unfit in this scenario

I've read made in Abyss, it's a good story with good art. Witch's hat atelier is another great manga. Simple story but really good art quality and panel layout is creative.

To people who think dating is art, it isn't art: it's mental torment.

based demon slayer fan spotted.

opinion embraced.

brotherly love extended.

It's Love.

On 3/25/2022 at 3:28 AM, integral said:

Berserk the original anime the artwork wasn't that great from the lens of someone who didn't watch it But if you did watch it you would realize it's a masterpiece and you fall in love with art.

Berserk is originally a manga. Great example of mastery and excellence within a field.

guts.jpg

@Kshantivadin

4 hours ago, Kshantivadin said:

Berserk is originally a manga. Great example of mastery and excellence within a field.

guts.jpg

Not only is it a great example of mastery and skills, but a great example of what happens when you take work too far, or life as trade offs, as Kentaru Miura's death is more related to working too hard and long. Being and becoming a mangaka, financially speaking, nore likely barely able to bay utility bills, rent or property taxes, mortgages, consumer debts and so on. Also, because that much effort and time is spent, and because he went to art school in the past, meant that over half of his work is traditional and uses various tools to help get that much accuracy, but because he spent too much time and energy into his work and career, he had less spare time for other areas of his life like relationships, socual circles, fitness, health, entertainment and leisure, home environment, finance, intimacy, and spirituality, although there are mature themes and philosophical ideas like nihilism and existentialism in his work.

It's also a bit creepy and karmic, when the main antagonist of Berserk, metaphorically, is a giant heart,  which likely would be slayed with the dragon slayer, and how Miura passed away, acute aortic dissection, which is a sudden rupture of one of the main veins. There are multiple causes for this condition, the common being high stress, high blood pressure, and buildup of plaque, also genetic as well. Prople aged 60-90, in this range qre susceptible, but he was around in his 50's.

@integral

On 3/25/2022 at 2:28 AM, integral said:

The beauty in art is completely subjective and constructed.

Walking into a bar doing pick up how important is your looks? How fast does a woman become attracted to you when you're a master at game? suddenly the perspective she had of you when she first saw you and then after she started talking to you is night and day. Maybe at first you were a meh And after you became the most attractive guy in the building.

Art is completely subjective and constructed? At this point in my life, the constructed part is much more obvious as I've always designed stuff in my head before putting it to paper using pens or pencils and contemplated it deeply, but is it completely subjective? Maybe when art is still in the abstract domain, but when a whole, or part of art is more and more contextualized and niched down into some field, then at that point it's now possible to build standards for 'good' and 'bad' art, and degrees in between because there's enough contrasts and comparisons to make in that field. I'm not sure it's completely subjective.