PureExp

World Is A Simulation

71 posts in this topic

A snippet from my blog. Food for thought :)

The advent of virtual worlds generated via computers has rekindled an interest in theories that propose non-existence of a material world. These days the simulated worlds look as real as the real world, especially when high end hardware is employed. Total sensory immersion into a simulated world is not a fiction, it is inevitable. As we know, these extensive, rich and life like worlds on our screens are nothing but numbers. What makes us suspect that our everyday world is also nothing but numbers? There are many reasons. Quantum description of the matter immediately suggests that there are no actual entities, only values. In other words, the matter is just numbers.  Strangely, the physical universe satisfies many requirements of a simulated world. A short list of such requirements is as follows:

• Things are quantized, finite and limited.
  •  Processes are algorithmic, logical and mathematical.
  •  A VR appears out of nowhere, however it can evolve via evolutionary algorithms and can go from simple to complex.
  • There is a limit on the “frame rate". In other words, things take time to happen and the effects appear after a delay. In the case of our world the speed of light is the limit.
  • There would be some constants, some global fixed values, that appear for no obvious reason. E.g. there are physical constants like c or G or h that appear in many equations.
  • Some phenomena would appear non-local. A program can modify two values together without simulating the mediating behaviour. So we have things like entanglement.
  •  Loading of processors can happen when there is a huge amount of data to be crunched. We see such effects near very large bodies, such as stars, where time slows down near their surface because there are too many particles to compute.
  •  Statistical nature. Some outcomes are predicted instead of being calculated exactly. This is faster but less accurate. So we have laws of thermodynamics, gas laws or fluid dynamics, probability distributions and uncertainty principle.
  • Instances of entities may appear. If there are trillions of entities, a program can simply use instances of one model or a class to create those trillions. This saves enormous amount of memory and computing but the result is that all those trillions of entities are exact clones. We have electrons, protons and all such entities here, that are identical in every way.
  • Strange phenomena may appear. Such as apparitions can appear out of nowhere requiring no cause, no matter and can disappear leaving no traces. Its the special effect equivalent.
  • Strange effects like healing via intention or placebo effects can happen, as it would be possible to steer a program in desired direction if one can manipulate the inputs.
  • Non-virtual (real) entities can assume discard-able virtual forms. Avatars in gamespeak. In physical world we have bodies - the avatars for non-physical players.

There are more similarities. There are experiments to prove the simulated nature of the universe, such as the famous double slit experiment and the delayed choice quantum eraser experiment. There are theories and proofs for the simulation hypotheses.  However, there are some ridiculous assumptions too. Once you say that the universe is simulated, there arises a need for a simulator, a computer and operators of that computer. So people imagine all sorts of things from aliens to future humans. It is perfectly possible but highly improbable. Plus there are big holes e.g. the presence of avatars, if the avatars are aliens or humans from future, they would know beyond any doubt that they are playing a game. The only possibility left is that we are just bots, dummy players, which is not anyone's experience as far as I know. Bots would mean no consciousness or subjective experiences. No amount of simulation would produce that.

So far only Thomas Campbell comes close to a satisfactory answer, which is - the consciousness itself is the computer, aka the simulator, of this universe. And since it is simulating the stuff out of itself, it is only natural that everyone experiences a consciousness behind oneself and everything else. This is my direct experience and also of many of you. This is the original claim of non-dual teachings, that are unchallenged since thousands of years.

Useful links:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simulation_hypothesis

http://www.my-big-toe.com/

https://arxiv.org/ftp/arxiv/papers/0801/0801.0337.pdf

http://www.theuniversesolved.com/evidence.htm

My Blog : : Pure Experiences : : Pure Knowledge

These guys cover the subject very thoroughly  -

Edited by Debil

13 hours ago, brovakhiin said:

Additionally, this explains how math works so damn well to describe our physical universe. It's not just described by mathematics, it is mathematics!

This is the beauty and elegance of simulation theory. It answers the mother of all questions in physics, which is - why is the physical world at its core just maths? Not only physical world, mental world (our mind) is also mathematical. Brain is a sophisticated computer, and a control system. Mind has inherent abilities for math and logic. With progress in AI we are witnessing that the so called "mental only" processes, language etc. are a result of computations. DNA is just code, which means the body is a result of computation, assembled out of virtual bits as per the instructions of DNA. The whole game of evolution is just repeated application of evolutionary algorithms (aka genetic algorithms in CS). Well, in short, simulation explains everything (even the so called paranormal).

But how? Math is a result of algorithms. Algorithms are a result of automated processes that repeat in a pattern. For example that of cellular automata. Automated processes arise as soon as there is a large number of random processes, most of which die and only those survive which form virtual structures and recreate themselves (Tom calls this the Fundamental Process). So creation happens, and it is algorithmic by necessity.

Where are these processes operating and what are they operating on? Simulation theory leaves consciousness untouched, it cannot be a result of computation as it is not a "thing". So obviously, it is the ground on which these processes happen. Consciousness, as a unified field, creates  everything !

Processes do not operate on "things", there are no things, there is just consciousness alone, and it operates on itself. We see it as "energy of consciousness" which is just continuous change in itself. We need only one kind of change - binary fluctuations. It can be a zero dimensional point which alternates between "something" and "nothing", producing a string of infinite binary pattern.

No wonder, we can directly experience everything - mind, bodies, people and world as happening on the "screen" of consciousness. This is essentially enlightenment. (I think Leo would agree :) ). Well, everything falls into place... beautifully.

@brovakhiin Here is the link to my blog. I tried to write all this down in more detail there. (Of course, it is all learnt from masters, I'm only a student).

@brovakhiinIt holds some value as a model of the physical universe based on string theory, but leaves majority of questions unanswered (at least for me, I have not studied it deeply). It brings up more questions, like - is there is 2D matter of which this space is made of? From where such matter came? where is that 2D "space"? If it is consciousness, then it must be directly observable. If we are consciousness essentially then we should be able to experience the Self as a 2D plane. But we experience ourselves as 0D, non-local, non-spatial and timeless nothingness or emptiness when we reach our core.

Anyhow, if the computations can be reduced to a 2D math, there is a potential to simulate those too. If it is just math, it doesn't matter how it is described, it must be computed, or in other words, must be manifested only via a simulation.

That's my uneducated guess anyway :)

I saw this topic right after watching

what a coincidence...it's certainly an interesting topic. Goes well with a lot of the spiritual new age stuff.

Here's my key; Philosophy. A freak like me just needs Infinity.

It is conceivable that with advancements in artificial intelligence, virtual reality, and computing power, members of future civilizations could have decided to run a simulation of their ancestors.

Even Bill Nye has some videos on this.

Since we are living in a simulation, I suppose we don't have to worry anymore about paying back any loans.

But what about a glitch in the matrix ...lol

1. Only ONE path is true. Rest is noise
  2. God is beauty, rest is Ugly 

1 hour ago, Loreena said:

Since we are living in a simulation, I suppose we don't have to worry anymore about paying back any loans.

Banks are worried, BoA even conducted a study which concluded that there is a 20-50% chance that this world is nothing but a simulation. All their money and gold is just pixels :D

Link: https://finance.yahoo.com/news/bank-america-theres-20-50-152845381.html

Ok, let's consider these two main concepts about the nature of our reality:

1) Conventional view (materialism):

Matter (space-time) ---> mind ---> consciousness.

2) Non-duality perspective:

Consciousness ---> mind ---> matter.

Which one is your experience?   And does either one of these views make our reality virtual or "less real"?

@jse  Assuming that your arrows stand for direction of causality, my experience (and I guess of many of the readers here), is neither.

The "external" world and consciousness of it arise at the same time. I do not experience one "causing" the other. If it is all one, what can cause what? One thing coming out of other means more than two. Its not-two, if you directly see it.

Btw, causation and reality are both mental concepts, that is - made up stuff. They are useful for day-to-day talk, not so for deep contemplation. The physical universe is consciousness, so in the end consciousness causes consciousness (which is meaningless sentence if you see it). The problem of causality appears only when you insist that these two are separate. This is where the scientist and philosopher get stuck. Its a belief.

Now, doesn't simulation mean causation? Depends on how you define the word simulation. For me it means - making a model that resembles and behaves as something else. So consciousness (Self) becomes physical world(s) that look separate from itself. But if you see it deeply, nothing really happens, except an experience, an "illusion" of sorts. The essence of a clay pot is just clay. Clay and pot and not separate.

15 hours ago, PureExp said:

@jse  Assuming that your arrows stand for direction of causality, my experience (and I guess of many of the readers here), is neither.

Rather than one causing the other (which involves the concept of time), could we not see these phenomenon as arising from the infinite sea of consciousness, like waves in a boundless indivisible ocean?

@jse Sure we can. And the sea/wave metaphor is often used by many masters.

You are right, when something is beyond time, causality ceases to be meaningful.

who is to say that a simulation needs a creator? life is necessarily a simulation. the creator is nothing. 

On 1/22/2017 at 4:39 PM, PureExp said:

A snippet from my blog. Food for thought :)

The advent of virtual worlds generated via computers has rekindled an interest in theories that propose non-existence of a material world. These days the simulated worlds look as real as the real world, especially when high end hardware is employed. Total sensory immersion into a simulated world is not a fiction, it is inevitable. As we know, these extensive, rich and life like worlds on our screens are nothing but numbers. What makes us suspect that our everyday world is also nothing but numbers? There are many reasons. Quantum description of the matter immediately suggests that there are no actual entities, only values. In other words, the matter is just numbers.  Strangely, the physical universe satisfies many requirements of a simulated world. A short list of such requirements is as follows:

• Things are quantized, finite and limited.
  •  Processes are algorithmic, logical and mathematical.
  •  A VR appears out of nowhere, however it can evolve via evolutionary algorithms and can go from simple to complex.
  • There is a limit on the “frame rate". In other words, things take time to happen and the effects appear after a delay. In the case of our world the speed of light is the limit.
  • There would be some constants, some global fixed values, that appear for no obvious reason. E.g. there are physical constants like c or G or h that appear in many equations.
  • Some phenomena would appear non-local. A program can modify two values together without simulating the mediating behaviour. So we have things like entanglement.
  •  Loading of processors can happen when there is a huge amount of data to be crunched. We see such effects near very large bodies, such as stars, where time slows down near their surface because there are too many particles to compute.
  •  Statistical nature. Some outcomes are predicted instead of being calculated exactly. This is faster but less accurate. So we have laws of thermodynamics, gas laws or fluid dynamics, probability distributions and uncertainty principle.
  • Instances of entities may appear. If there are trillions of entities, a program can simply use instances of one model or a class to create those trillions. This saves enormous amount of memory and computing but the result is that all those trillions of entities are exact clones. We have electrons, protons and all such entities here, that are identical in every way.
  • Strange phenomena may appear. Such as apparitions can appear out of nowhere requiring no cause, no matter and can disappear leaving no traces. Its the special effect equivalent.
  • Strange effects like healing via intention or placebo effects can happen, as it would be possible to steer a program in desired direction if one can manipulate the inputs.
  • Non-virtual (real) entities can assume discard-able virtual forms. Avatars in gamespeak. In physical world we have bodies - the avatars for non-physical players.

There are more similarities. There are experiments to prove the simulated nature of the universe, such as the famous double slit experiment and the delayed choice quantum eraser experiment. There are theories and proofs for the simulation hypotheses.  However, there are some ridiculous assumptions too. Once you say that the universe is simulated, there arises a need for a simulator, a computer and operators of that computer. So people imagine all sorts of things from aliens to future humans. It is perfectly possible but highly improbable. Plus there are big holes e.g. the presence of avatars, if the avatars are aliens or humans from future, they would know beyond any doubt that they are playing a game. The only possibility left is that we are just bots, dummy players, which is not anyone's experience as far as I know. Bots would mean no consciousness or subjective experiences. No amount of simulation would produce that.

So far only Thomas Campbell comes close to a satisfactory answer, which is - the consciousness itself is the computer, aka the simulator, of this universe. And since it is simulating the stuff out of itself, it is only natural that everyone experiences a consciousness behind oneself and everything else. This is my direct experience and also of many of you. This is the original claim of non-dual teachings, that are unchallenged since thousands of years.

Useful links:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simulation_hypothesis

http://www.my-big-toe.com/

https://arxiv.org/ftp/arxiv/papers/0801/0801.0337.pdf

http://www.theuniversesolved.com/evidence.htm

How are you using all this info in your life?

MEDITATIONS TOOLS  ActualityOfBeing.com  GUIDANCE SESSIONS

NONDUALITY LOA  My Youtube Channel  THE TRUE NATURE

@Nahm Simulation hypothesis is only a hypothesis. I can't say that it is proven beyond doubt at this time. Maybe in future. (Perhaps great people like Campbell won't need any proof, they see it everyday).

Also, consciousness being the "computer" (a medium in which simulation happens) is not yet a mainstream idea (IMO).

In the light of above, I find its main use is in strengthening the conviction that everything is just consciousness. It is also my direct experience (and probably of many of you) and detailed explanations such as these are soothing for doubting rational minds.

If someone conducts experiments and proves majority of these ideas, a new way will open up for technology that is based on hacking the "code of simulation". The implications are mind blowing, humans will turn into gods, almost everything will become possible. (Don't know if that's a good thing :D ).