Julian gabriel

How To Unite the Rational and Emotional

11 posts in this topic

I have noticed that I am sabotaging myself constantly by separation logic and emotion.

The more I interweave these things, the more they reflect and accentuate each other.

What keeps them apart? where does one go when the other takes over?

Some people have these conflicts in their psyches due to upbringing. Often it has to do with child-mother communication, feeling misunderstood, etc.  

This is like the classic battle between the head and the heart. This is hard to do. 

You'll need to use both logic, reasoning and emotions. It's a balancing act. 

How to achieve this? 

You have to feel the situation. Yes your emotions will take over. You might feel overwhelmed. Let yourself feel as much as possible. But don't let emotions cloud judgement. After the initial tide of emotions is gone become calm and think rationally. Your thinking will still be a bit clouded because the emotions leave a hangover that is difficult to overcome, at this point whatever you look at will be through the lense of that emotion. What you do is, you get out of this lense and forget attachment for some time and think of it very robotically. Now infuse all your mechanical thinking, judgement, logic, reasoning and rationale. See what happens? The answers you would get or the perspectives you would have would be dramatically different from the perspective you had when you were in an emotional state. Separate the two perspectives. 

Time for reconciliation. 

Compare and match the two perspectives and find common ground. Also if it doesn't have any common ground, then it's your call whether to listen to emotions or to listen to a rational explanation, a tough call to make. 

In my personal experience, rational judgment helps 10 x times better than emotional judgement. However the flipside is true as well. Sometimes you should have thought emotionally instead of rationally. 

My idea is that you try to use both to maximum effect in all situations in life. See which one really resonates. 

This question is like a paradox. There is no clean cut yes or no answer to this. Both emotional judgement and rational judgment are valid for their own reasons.. 

This is probably the oldest question of mankind and the oldest paradox. 

65eypw.jpg

INFJ-T,ptsd,BPD, autism, anger issues

Cleared out ignore list today. 

1 hour ago, SeaMonster said:

Some people have these conflicts in their psyches due to upbringing. Often it has to do with child-mother communication, feeling misunderstood, etc.  

@SeaMonster my mom died when I was 16 and I have a strong connection to her. what makes you say that it is likely a mother related issue?

4 hours ago, Julian gabriel said:

I have noticed that I am sabotaging myself constantly by separation logic and emotion.

The more I interweave these things, the more they reflect and accentuate each other.

What keeps them apart? where does one go when the other takes over?

Behind logic, emotion hides, behind emotion, logic resides

so it’s like behind seemingly logical argumentation or rationalization, there can be an emotional load, a sense of self involved in it trying to be maintained. 

for example , a person reasons : 

I should eat healthy because it is good for my body. Sounds rational right?

but maybe the reason actually is that they have a desire to identify as a person who eats healthy because they’ve been conditioned to see that as something to be proud about so it’s emotional and identity related at it’s root

you can feel into the apparent logic and rationality. Is there tension to it? Does it resonate? Is there a sense of self associated with it that colors the logic and sort of uses it to justify itself 

from my experience, the older I get the more these two go hand in hand, the less distinction between them. My mind does not really make any difference between them, it’s all resonance 

5 hours ago, SeaMonster said:

@Julian gabriel

@SeaMonster

I resonate with this, because this case is just like me. It is very hard for me to be black and white since child. I need black and white thinking to be grounded.

Where do you find the information above? Or what the label of this condition? 

The only thing that can 'take over' in the sense I believe you mean it are beliefs themselves, emotion or logic in their purity can therefore only indirectly and therefore never really at all take over anything alone.

No sentimental, emotivist, naive frame of mind can therefore be that very frame unless the belief in them perpetuates their essence.

As with a logicistic, positivistic, dualistic, physicalistic frame of mind, since these things all flails their own predicate they are taking its stead.

Since cohesion is impossible without logic, and all your life amounts to cohesion the question becomes not how one can make everything fit together from intention but why it fits together without intention at all.

Emotions do not negate logic, emotion drives logic to its objects with or without conscious intention.

Edited by Reciprocality

how much can you bend your mind? and how much do you have to do it to see straight?

5 hours ago, Julian gabriel said:

my mom died when I was 16 and I have a strong connection to her. what makes you say that it is likely a mother related issue?

Those two are not mutually exclusive as I understand.  It's just one dimension of inner conflict.  It's virtually impossible not to have some psychic conflict or complex relating to one's parents even if on the whole the relationship is great.  The parent and the child are rarely perfectly in sync as far as temperament, needs, wants, interests, etc. In worst cases, the parent does not accept the child and tries to remake it into its own image.

1 hour ago, Manusia said:

I resonate with this, because this case is just like me. It is very hard for me to be black and white since child. I need black and white thinking to be grounded.

Where do you find the information above? Or what the label of this condition? 

I don't know if it rises to a level of diagnosable condition because it's pretty common and by itself doesn't mean the person is seriously maladjusted.  It's sort of like that scene at the beginning of Enter The Dragon with Bruce Lee. "How do you FEEL?!" "Let me think..." (Slaps him over the head.) 

The two are not effortlessly in sync. 

@Julian gabriel

Point of emotions is to seek information from the moment and logic is that which you should use 100 % of the time when doing decision to really be optimal with the outcomes. It's illogical not to take account the emotions, but stupidity not use logic merely in decisions. This is not hard problem when you understand that these 2 have different purposes. You need first to know logically what outcome you want and there is in background always either fear of suffering or/and joy. Fear of suffering and joy are emotions that drive you. Lastly logic should be used to close this case with good decision.

Who told you that "others" are real?

You're on the money! Combining Logic and Emotion properly is also something called "The Wise Mind" as opposed to the purely "Emotional Mind" or the "Logical Mind". It takes a while to practice and the tricky part is that it completely varies depending on situation, so it takes wisdom to feel it out.

Btw, I'm really enjoying all of your posts lately, I like your vibe! :D