DManKee

In your opinion what leads to a spontaneous awakening?

51 posts in this topic

I'm not talking about meditating or taking psychedelics. I'm talking about awakenings such as the one Eckhart Tolle had. What could trigger something like that? Is there any way you could help yourself become more open to such an experience (without meditation)?

Eckhart Tolle had what I would call a suffering awakening. He was deeply disgusted with his mind made suffering, that his "Self" devided from his "I". People experience this while attempting suicide. It seems that your ego doesn't just give room for awakening that easily. 

Just now, Vynce said:

Eckhart Tolle had what I would call a suffering awakening. He was deeply disgusted with his mind made suffering, that his "Self" devided from his "I". People experience this while attempting suicide. It seems that your ego doesn't just give room for awakening that easily. 

that's what he says but i'm not sure i'll buy that story.

1 minute ago, Judy2 said:

Nothing:)

<3

“Life is just a break from an Infinite Orgasm. Prolong your break for as long as you want. Ride that wave. But don’t forget where you're headed.”

the day after my suicide attempt i remember walking outside and had this 'feeling like everything has been right here all along', that was my first clue but i don't know if that was an awakening - it wasn't some intense realization more like an old seed in my mind sprouted when i was trying to make sense of what i was experiencing

like i had been torturing myself for so long and finally tried to 'solve' it but it didn't really work and i just gave up in some sense and it happened

just be here, if you can do it this moment you can do it the next moment

this is the now, now is all that is real, the truth is now, not your concept or experience, just this

is there suffering in this ? work to be done young jedi. me

He was probably an old soul imo.

Edited by Salvijus

7 minutes ago, PurpleTree said:

that's what he says but i'm not sure i'll buy that story.

If I remember correctly, he chose to live on a park bench for two years after that. Seems like something happened.

@catcat69123 This feeling is often described by many people who have survived suicide or had NDE's. I'm sorry you had to suffer so much in order to reach this realization. ♥️

I've actually been very depressed for many years and I keep hoping that someday through self actualization and self improvement I'll heal and maybe have that realization you had of everything having been here all along. :)

Loads if hugs ?

@Salvijus I'm not sure I buy into the whole old soul, new soul business. In my opinion it's just another story humans spin.

6 minutes ago, Vynce said:

If I remember correctly, he chose to live on a park bench for two years after that. Seems like something happened.

he could've also took psychedelics and then thought he can't sell that "origin" story to middle aged people or whatever

i just find the story a bit odd

but i do like eckhart tolle and his teachings

@DManKee thanks <3 and you too, it will happen. ;) 

i would reframe it as rumi says, not seeking any special state rather removing the obstacles between you and love

just be here, if you can do it this moment you can do it the next moment

this is the now, now is all that is real, the truth is now, not your concept or experience, just this

is there suffering in this ? work to be done young jedi. me

1 minute ago, PurpleTree said:

he could've also took psychedelics and then thought he can't sell that "origin" story to middle aged people or whatever

i just find the story a bit odd

but i do like eckhart tolle and his teachings

Eckhart is open about psychedelics. He openly spoke about taking LSD, to get a perspective on "psychedelic awakened people". However, he didn't recommend it. Being aware is enough for him.

@DManKee Whatever is happening might not at all be the reason why the shift occurs.

One thing that caught my attention in Eckhart Tolles story however was that he saw the division within himself when he questioned the thought "I can't live with myself".

1 minute ago, Vynce said:

Eckhart is open about psychedelics. He openly spoke about taking LSD, to get a perspective on "psychedelic awakened people". However, he didn't recommend it. Being aware is enough for him.

i know he said that

his real name isn't even eckhart tolle, that's also odd imo he said he saw the name in a dream or something

also the guy is a huuuuge business

the most money making spiritual guy of our times, not saying making money is bad btw

Edited by PurpleTree

1 minute ago, PurpleTree said:

i know he said that

his real name isn't even eckhart tolle, that's also odd imo he said he saw the name in a dream or something

also the guy is a huuuuge business

the most money making spiritual guy of our times, not saying making money is bad btw

You sure have developed a strong "interpretation muscle" :D Money is just a signal how valuable he is for humanity. People are not recommending his work by accident. 

A complete and total commitment and devotion to purpose and passion.

That's what woke me up.

Gurus, teachers and mentors showed up later on, to help me ground and understand what was already going on.

2 minutes ago, Judy2 said:

Really? I didn't know that. Do you know what his real name is?

He associated so much suffering with his old name "Leonard Ulrich Tolle", that he wanted to change it. In a dream he was called Eckhart. And as woman called him Eckhart in real life, because she intuited that would be his name, he decide to change that. 

@WelcometoReality Yes, if I remember correctly he realized there was no me that could suffer and this lead to his awakening. Many people including myself have become aware of no self. Actually this is the first thing most people become aware of on their spiritual journeys. But for most this doesn't lead to a full awakening and actually the journey is just beginning. Maybe Eckhart Tolle was just more susceptible.

@DManKee

Stop believing that there is "I" or "experiencer". Understand that everything that exists right NOW is perfection and there is nothing outside of direct "experience". Of course that is almost imposible to take like this and this is why we meditate and learn to let go of thoughts, beliefs and emotions and just BE.

Edited by Kksd74628

Who told you that "others" are real?

Just now, Vynce said:

Money is just a signal how valuable he is for humanity. People are not recommending his work by accident. 

does that also go for the kardashians or the catholic church etc.? :P

also what i find a bit odd about his story is that he says he didn't have any knowledge of those "concepts" prior to his awaking. (don't quote me on that)

but he went to school in the 70s in england, hippies were widespread, i think he would have heard about some of the concepts (maybe i'm wrong though)

6 minutes ago, Judy2 said:

@PurpleTree

Really? I didn't know that. Do you know what his real name is?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eckhart_Tolle

Ulrich Leonard Tölle