PurpleTree

thoughts on recent JRE episodes Dr. Epstein and Peterson?

31 posts in this topic

Dr. Epstein talked about the dangers of Google and similar companies. Scary and pretty depressing episode.

Peterson episode started off horrible imo. When he ranted against climate change believers and said fracking is cool i was ready to turn it off and thought benzos fried Jordans Canadian brain like some Canadian bacon.

But then the episode became good. Peterson cried a few times. Especially liked it when they talked about psychedelics, ssris and school shooters, some biblical stories etc.

11 hours ago, PurpleTree said:

Peterson episode started off horrible imo. When he ranted against climate change believers and said fracking is cool i was ready to turn it off and thought benzos fried Jordans Canadian brain like some Canadian bacon.

I watched it up to that point, and then I had to turn it off when Joe did the "x is not the same as y" thing, as if things weren't bad enough already ?

Intrinsic joy is revealed in the marriage of meaning and being.

The sh*t  JP said on JRE was absolutely appalling. The way he denied the severity and reality of climate change & how he celebrated fossil fuels and fracking was just disgusting. Probably the worst shit I've ever heard him say. "Make as many people rich as fast as possible" as a solution to climate change lol. That's what got us into this f*cking mess into the first place...

Stay away from the political stuff, I can't stress this enough for JP. 

3 hours ago, Carl-Richard said:

I watched it up to that point, and then I had to turn it off when Joe did the "x is not the same as y" thing, as if things weren't bad enough already ?

20 minutes ago, Tim R said:

The sh*t  JP said on JRE was absolutely appalling. The way he denied the severity and reality of climate change & how he celebrated fossil fuels and fracking was just disgusting. Probably the worst shit I've ever heard him say. "Make as many people rich as fast as possible" as a solution to climate change lol. That's what got us into this f*cking mess into the first place...

Stay away from the political stuff, I can't stress this enough for JP. 

yea it was whack. glad rogan pushed back a bit on the fracking thing though. but jordan was just ranting in the beginning, he also seemed nervous in the beginning. he said he worked for some environment, sea pollution thing, maybe he should have elaborated on that. when they talked about nuclear they never mentioned that the waste has to be stored 10'000-100'000 yrs . (i'm not against nuclear plants but at least be honest)

that's still hilarious though

Why are you guys expecting a comedian to give political analysis on climate change? Most of his podcasts are not structured talks, they are more informal and off the cuff types of talks, so of course in some parts of the talk he says crazy stuff, but because it's organic, he then sometimes says pretty good takes as well. The main problem is the formatting of the way convos go in his podcasts.

"Climate means everything."

Lol. The epitome of conflating the relative with the absolute. Climate precisely does not mean everything. And all scientific models reduce reality down from an infinite number of variables.

His epistemology here is terrible and unscientific. A model does not need to account for every variable in order to be effective. We can model weather. We can model climate. Models are never perfect. It is not hard to measure CO2 emissions. They have satelites now which visually track CO2 emissions from every major region of the world. You can see time lapse images. These satelites also measure changes in global temp very accurately.

Energy means everything. Therefore we cannot model energy. QED. -- JP logic

- - - -

But even more absurd than the climate talk was the talk about black people not really being black, but brown -- unless they are from deep Africa and clothesless. Oh the cringe...

Rogan is itching for a canceling.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

I don't even understand why he is (for some reason I suspect purposefully) being so grossly unscientific and insanely biased?? Has he fried his brain with the Benzos for good or what? What does he gain from that? 

That's just what Joe Rogan is at the moment. He used to have good takes, but lately he's going off the rails a bit, but I never expected any level of political analysis from a comedian.

Maybe the real issue, is for some expecting something smart from Joe Rogan, which puts the problem to the viewer instead.

14 minutes ago, Danioover9000 said:

Maybe the real issue, is for some expecting something smart from Joe Rogan, which puts the problem to the viewer instead.

That's the nature of misinformation, it places an undo burden on the viewer to correct it. 95% of viewer will be to sloppy to fact-check.

You can excuse any misinfo by saying: "Oh, but this guy is not a journalist/scientist." Except people never listen to journalists or scientists, they listen to celebrities and influencers.

And in this case JP is supposedly a PhD and academic/scientist. Viewers take him as such. So the shit coming out of his mouth sounds authoritative.

Rogan's influence is too large now for him to say, "But I'm just a dumb comedian." If you influence the minds of 100's of millions of people, you're in a new world of responsibility and people will call you out for harmful BS.

8 minutes ago, blankisomeone said:

I saw a video of him saying that he’s read dozens of books on the issue and none of it is scientifically compelling. How many have you or some stage green climate activist read?

I have not read a single book on climate change science.

However, I have spent 20 years contemplating epistemology.

What JP said is not how scientific modeling works. He was actually making an epistemic argument against climate change science which is fallacious.

If you want to argue the models are wrong on technical grounds, that's fine. But that's not what he argued. He basically argued that modeling nature is impossible. Which is silly for a scientist to say.

31 minutes ago, blankisomeone said:

He was part of some important climate group thing for some time I think

You have to distinguish between the technical science itself which says that the climate is warming due to CO2 and methane emissions vs what political solutions we should undertake to address it.

You can argue about the political solutions, but you cannot argue that gas emissions don't cause warming.

JP can argue conservative political solutions without undermining the technical climate science.

20 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

That's the nature of misinformation, it places an undo burden on the viewer to correct it. 95% of viewer will be to sloppy to fact-check.

You can excuse any misinfo by saying: "Oh, but this guy is not a journalist/scientist." Except people never listen to journalists or scientists, they listen to celebrities and influencers.

And in this case JP is supposedly a PhD and academic/scientist. Viewers take him as such. So the shit coming out of his mouth sounds authoritative.

Rogan's influence is too large now for him to say, "But I'm just a dumb comedian." If you influence the minds of 100's of millions of people, you're in a new world of responsibility and people will call you out for harmful BS.

Huh? He's saying he was a PhD/academic/scientist? 

And this is probably why I won't make my life purpose as some political public speaker, podcaster, YouTube content creator or whichever form of public speaking in the digital world. Many times, with things I write or say, later after reflecting on it, I see it as wrong and ditch whatever I planned to do.

1 minute ago, Danioover9000 said:

Huh? He's saying he was a PhD/academic/scientist? 

JP, not Rogan.

Look, climate science isn't some sort of new or edge field. It's been well established for more than 100 years. It's not like science about consciousness or quantum physics where there are multiple opinions and scientists aren't sure what it's all about, no. 

Denying climate science is like believing in flat earth, period.

In his discussion with Lawrence Krauss, JP revealed that he has always had a deep dislike for social activists and idealists. Not so surprising then that the video that got him famous was him arguing with activists. Seems like it's bleeding over to his view on climate activism as well. It would be interesting if Joe could prod him on that.

Intrinsic joy is revealed in the marriage of meaning and being.

3 hours ago, Carl-Richard said:

JP revealed that he has always had a deep dislike for social activists and idealists. 

Lol

That much is clear from all his political commentary ever. His disdain for it drips from his mouth as he speaks.

This is hilarious

Stories are made for children to fall asleep, and adults to wake up.