Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Thought Art

Water Filter Example

24 posts in this topic

I managed to buy a reverse osmosis machine new and half price. 

here is the water. The left is clean and the right it the waste water…

these filters last two years. I think it’s a good investment in my long term health. Also, I use a stainless steel kettle and avoid plastics and non stick pans.

172771D4-5D9E-4FB4-B6B5-6B4713959B13.jpeg

D7BB9A98-5CB7-4336-9C91-E49DEF1B9FB7.jpeg

"Unburdened and Becoming" - Bon Iver

◭"89"

Funny enough your system doesn't seem to remove mercury.

Be ware of gimmicky consumer products for water filtration. And RO filters usually need to changed much sooner than 2 years. 6 months is typical.

You also want a system that remineralizes your water.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

12 minutes ago, Thought Art said:

and non stick pans.

What's wrong with non stick pans?

@Leo Gura well, I tried. 

I remineralize it myself, so that’s a non-problem.

im not sure yet, it seems like it should filter out mercury… a review said it does but I didn’t see that in the third party testing. The websites FAQ implies it does filter mercury. feel annoyed. I will clarify with the company.

the third party testing looks like it does a good job. I’m going to just learn through experience.

I bought it because it was over the counter and cheaper than it’s ordinary ticket price. I can’t install anything and I thought the 2 year filter was the best procurement option compared to shorter lived filters.

I don’t have a way to install one, so this over the counter model works for now and filters out most things including lead.

will learn from this and refine in future… all i can do.

Edited by Thought Art

◭"89"

49 minutes ago, MarkKol said:

What's wrong with non stick pans?

They have dodgy chemicals on them. Teflon is the worst one, if you have a pet bird you can kill it by cooking with Teflon pans because of the fumes. Teflon also makes you sick if you put the temp too high. And it can flake off into your food too

The safest pans are generally:

1. Cast Iron

2. Stainless Steel

you wanna spend hours researching and experimenting with replacing all the toxic household items you have in your kitchen with safe and effective non-toxic ones. This also goes go things like soaps, detergents and household cleaners. 

there are many factors to take into account:

1. Price and procurement

2. health claims fact and fiction 

3. accessibility 

4. functionality (for example I may have overlooked that this thing doesn’t filter out mercury… but the website implies that it does but the third party report didn’t include and mercury. I am clarifying this with the company. I may need to find an additional filter for mercury. 

You may also need to develop your decision making and procurement skills when it comes to buying things. 

Create a wish list and be sure you have developed your personal finance administrative systems to keep track of your spending as you work on things like detoxing, fixing your diet, and replacing household items. 

no sense in beating yourself up, simply note the mistakes and refine.

I personally realize mistake making is a Normal thing… just refine refine refine and choose to see yourself as you really are.

Edited by Thought Art

◭"89"

So, the filters last different lengths which is important to know as well.

1. pre-filter lasts 6 months

2. RO 2 years

3. final carbon lasts 1 year

i can do a better job procuring in the future. I will consider creating a procedure sheet for pitching items over 250$CND.

◭"89"

1 hour ago, something_else said:

Teflon is the worst one, if you have a pet bird you can kill it by cooking with Teflon pans because of the fumes. Teflon also makes you sick if you put the temp too high

Is this still the case tho? Wasn't the use of Perfluorooctanoic acid banned in Teflon in like 2010? As far as I know, the other compounds used in Teflon today have not proven to be toxic but open to being wrong. Just wanna make sure we are not painting the scarecrow on everything now. 

If anything I'd be worried about hemochromatosis from using Cast Iron pans for people with genetically weakened iron clearance. This is a well-documented issue compared to Teflon toxicity which I could not find a single study on...please share if you have some relevant articles/studies. 

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

@Michael569 cast iron can also be good if you are plant based or have iron deficiency I heard. But, yes that is a risk as well.

I will look more into non-stick, there are so many chemicals out there to learn about.

Edited by Thought Art

◭"89"

Teflon is highly toxic. You must throw away all your nonstick pans. They are trash and this applies to all nonstick pans of any kind, even if they are "green". None of these coatings are healthy and they all flake off.

Buy all stainless steal cookware. It lasts a lifetime.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

One of the more difficult things I found, when researching these things is you pretty much would need to send the water in your self if you want to verify what is really done. From all of the research I did this unit was the best that didn't require any heavy installation. 

Personally, I would change out all filters every 6 months if you intend to use it regularly. That's really going to give you the cleanest water. I spend about $300-$400 per year just in filters for my under stink system. 

Of course if you had the option to install something under the sink, then there is better options with more stages. However, for the price and installation ease this is solid. You would be drinking cleaner water than most of the world with this IMO. I would much prefer this to buying bottled water or any of the other non-installation systems. 

I actually have one of these for travel and I love it. 

Edited by Average Investor

@Average Investor Thanks for this response. I feel similar. 

it honestly looks and works really well. The water wastes great and I feel a lot more confident when drinking water. Plus tea tastes really great. Also, getting it for 350CND I feel pretty happy with it.  

my teapot has nice temperature controls on it. 

it should be said though that clear water is not clean water and I may do more figuring out in the future. 

I have more math to do for the procurement of all my systems in life. So many costs to figure out as I increase my financial awareness and mastery.

Edited by Thought Art

◭"89"

@Thought Art

In Canada you also have some of the best water in the world from the tap, so I think overall it is pretty good. I have even see some videos of people turning coke into drinking water with that unit and they said it was water, so it is pretty strong. The taste was notably good even cleaning my local water that is quite hard. I did notice that water from the aquatru left no white hard water residue on cups as well. 

Just having something like this in general is a great step towards good health. Personally, I would find other health investments before even considering an upgrade or anything with this. 

You can also get rid of a lot of toxic chemicals from your life for free or cheap. There is an app called thinkdirty that will let you scan barcodes of items. It will show you all of the toxic chemicals and give suggestions on less toxic items. I would personally go that route next if you want to continue to reduce exposure to toxins. 

Don’t be so sure

I’m happy with the unit. 

in a year I’ll do mercury test on myself. 

good tips, will check app!

Edited by Thought Art

◭"89"

@Thought Art

I know the best tap water in the world isn't saying much haha. Still though, it will make it easier for your filter to collect it all and not go bad as fast. 

Here in the US I know there there was a year that lead pipes were banned, but they still kept the ones already in the ground legal. So When apartment hunting I try to look for places built after the ban. Same with lead paint here. Some things like this can help a lot. A lot of the cheaper apartments might seem like a good deal, but typically come at the cost of more exposure to toxins like mold and lead. 

I am happy to hear it. I am glad to help. :D

Perfection is the enemy of good. You're doing way better than not filtering your water at all :)

I have a $150 water distiller from Amazon that evaporates the water and leaves all the nasty stuff behind. You can actually see a sludge of heavy metals and minerals left behind after a few batches. Of course it has the same problem of totally stripping the water of all the minerals, so you'd need to remineralize or get your minerals some other way. It's much more of a pain in the butt to use and takes hours to do a couple liters, so if I could do it again I'd probably just get reverse osmosis. I've heard rumors that distilled water is actually so pure (just H2O) that it can actually leech minerals out of your body when you drink it, although I'm not sure if that's true or not.

Totally unread here, but what about simply buying glass bottled water from good springs?

@GrowthPilgrim You could do that for sure. Problem is if you plan to cook and drink with it starts adding up. I recall using sometimes five gallons of water a day depending on what I was doing. I would even wash off my fruits etc with purified water. However, maybe a couple of gallons for just cooking and drinking. I would imagine glass water like that is about $2 or so a liter. That would add up very fast and just be a pain in the ass to use. After a month or so of that you might as well have just bought a nice RO system. 

Edited by Average Investor

On 2021-12-17 at 3:49 AM, Yarco said:

Perfection is the enemy of good. You're doing way better than not filtering your water at all :)

I have a $150 water distiller from Amazon that evaporates the water and leaves all the nasty stuff behind. You can actually see a sludge of heavy metals and minerals left behind after a few batches. Of course it has the same problem of totally stripping the water of all the minerals, so you'd need to remineralize or get your minerals some other way. It's much more of a pain in the butt to use and takes hours to do a couple liters, so if I could do it again I'd probably just get reverse osmosis. I've heard rumors that distilled water is actually so pure (just H2O) that it can actually leech minerals out of your body when you drink it, although I'm not sure if that's true or not.

You wanna remineralize your water for sure 

@GrowthPilgrim problem there is you don’t know how pure the water is and the potential for leaking plastic. Plus, if you do the math of doing this regularly it adds up over the years and it isn’t holistic because you are creating garbage and shipping water long distances 

Edited by Thought Art

◭"89"

The company got back to me: They claim the Aquatru filters out mercury but didn't give me much detail.

◭"89"