Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Rilles

Why Does It Feel Like People Are Looking At "Me"? (Not a Soc Anxiety Post)

28 posts in this topic

For you that are more awake... do you feel like people stare right through you when you walk down the street or do you still have the sense of someone looking "at you?" I think this is a good qualifier for if you still have an ego or not. Thoughts? How do you get rid of the sense that others are looking at you? 

Is this puppy looking at "you"?

09E41E40-1A14-4202-A64B-55B3E1B27CE2.jpeg

Edited by Rilles

Dont look at me! Look inside!

"They" stare neither "at you" nor "through you". There's just me, "looking at myself". Nobody looking at nobody. Like a mirror that is its own reflection. 

I know this sounds like what you've heard it a thousand times before, but what can I say. You asked?

22 minutes ago, Rilles said:

How do you get rid of the sense that others are looking at you? 

Haha that's just asking "how to get rid of myself?"??

@Rilles Man, you're not behind your friggin' eyes, get that!!! 

@Rilles This is the illusion from the mind. It’s grip on you is very strong, it will take some serious work to become aware of it. You can’t get rid of it, but you can be aware of how the mind is giving you that illusion. Self inquiry is superior to meditation for this.

"Not believing your own thoughts, you’re free from the primal desire: the thought that reality should be different than it is. You realise the wordless, the unthinkable. You understand that any mystery is only what you yourself have created. In fact, there’s no mystery. Everything is as clear as day. It’s simple, because there really isn’t anything. There’s only the story appearing now. And not even that.” — Byron Katie

Just now, Tim R said:

"They" stare neither "at you" nor "through you". There's just me, "looking at myself". Nobody looking at nobody. Like a mirror that is its own reflection. 

I know this sounds like what you've heard it a thousand times before, but what can I say. You asked?

Haha that's just asking "how to get rid of myself?"??

@Rilles Man, you're not behind your friggin' eyes, get that!!! 

Im trying??? I will get it soon. "I" feel close, last two days have been an extraordinary amount of self-inquiry progress. 

@Rilles What do you think you will find? What do you expect? Say for example in regard to the question you posed, what do you suppose will be different for you once you find out that you don't exist? 

2 minutes ago, Tim R said:

@Rilles What do you think you will find? What do you expect? Say for example in regard to the question you posed, what do you suppose will be different for you once you find out that you don't exist? 

Just a bit of recontextualisation I guess, like the puppy is still there but hes not looking at me... he is just looking... Of course this is all fantasy until I actually wake up. ;)

Because you probably have some certain level of social anxiety.

I have that (well, it really depends if I am conscious of not of those thoughts. Here, I wrote a post last week precisely about this, maybe it can help you: 

Edited by Javfly33

1 minute ago, Javfly33 said:

Because you probably have some certain level of social anxiety.

I have that (well, it really depends if I am conscious of not of those thoughts. Here, I wrote a post last week precisely about this, maybe it can help you: 

Haha I do to an extent but this is not about social anxiety, read the post again. 

1 minute ago, Rilles said:

Haha I do to an extent but this is not about social anxiety, read the post again. 

Well you just fucking asked Why Does It Feel Like People Are Looking At "Me"? Thats my answer.

If you don´t like it or think I´m right, fine. But don´t expect me to write something else that you would like me to wrote. 

Yes, you have that because you have an ego. (again, if you actually read my thread I also talk about ego and awareness, but anyway dude , whatever ?? )

It seems that they are looking at your face but there is nothing there. They are looking at the void but not seeing anything. 

8 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

It seems that they are looking at your face but there is nothing there. They are looking at the void but not seeing anything. 

Thats interesting. I can sort sense Im a faceless void in my direct experience when I look at the puppy... so there must be some deeper ego function Im not aware of that still creates the illusion of the puppy looking at me. 

@Rilles You need that illusion in order to function normally in the world. Without that you would go insane.

Edited by Tyler Durden

2 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

@Rilles You need that illusion in order to function normally in the world. Without that you would go insane.

Why would I go insane? Curious...

@Rilles Just imagine how would it feel that you're constantly aware that you're talking to nobody or just with yourself.

1 minute ago, Tyler Durden said:

@Rilles Just imagine how would it feel that you're constantly aware that you're talking to nobody or just with yourself.

Kind of hard to imagine without bullshitting myself that I could deal with it. xD I would need a slow progression to build up to that, maybe over 1-2 years, so I dont lose my marbles. 

1 hour ago, Rilles said:

How do you get rid of the sense that others are looking at you? 

That’s impossible. It’s ‘trying to bend the spoon’ vs ‘seeing what is’. Of course “sense” is a thought / a word / a label, but in the way it’s used here “the sense others are looking at you”… that isn’t ‘a sense’, it’s the thought, or belief… in others, looking, and you. 

@Tyler Durden

Feels like what this symbol points to 

?

MEDITATIONS TOOLS  ActualityOfBeing.com  GUIDANCE SESSIONS

NONDUALITY LOA  My Youtube Channel  THE TRUE NATURE

@Rilles

Part of the illusion of being behind the eyes / being "the one who looks" and "who's being looked at" is created by confusing the visual focus point, i.e. the point where your vision is sharpest (in the center of your visual field) with "you".

Because it sets up the illusion of a center, you see? We don't think of ourselves as being the fuzzy part of the visual field, the periphery. 

If you like, you can implement this into your meditation and inquiry: try to relax your visual focus point. In other words, you don't have to try to see. You don't have to do anything at all! Just notice, perfectly relaxed and at ease, that the visual focus point is not the center of "you". And that in fact, there is no center at all.

If done correctly (so to speak), you will feel as if you're expanding into the periphery of your field of awareness. And ultimately, you as the illusory center of awareness, will vanish entirelyxD

This is of course not limited to only the visual, but to all of our senses, but we tend to identity with our vision because it creates the strongest feeling of centrality to awareness. 

34 minutes ago, Rilles said:

If it's not social anxiety you might be about to go through a breakthrough.

Do you feel like even the wall and ceiling is looking at you, or inanimate object in general ?

God is love

Whoever lives in love lives in God

And God in them

3 minutes ago, Shin said:

If it's not social anxiety you might be about to go through a breakthrough.

Do you feel like even the wall and ceiling is looking at you, or inanimate object in general ?

Haha no the wall is not looking at me, thank god for that. xD