Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Javfly33

I Feel betrayed by the system

13 posts in this topic

2 months ago I started this coding bootcamp because I felt even though I have a nice portfolio and a wide knowledge of coding skills, at least in my country, companies are very reluctant to hire if you don't have the damn college degree or trade school degree. (Even 3-6 months Bootcamps seem to work for companies, they just doesn't seem to want to hire people self-taught. My country is not like USA. Land of Freedom and "everyone can make it if they want").

So I took 3 months off my current job and got into this Bootcamp which you don't have to pay to do it and they select you with job offers from their associated companies, you pay only if after taking benefit of the bootcamp (for several months) an external company hires you. I thought, well, taking into account that I've been applying a lot the last 1-2 years and never got hired, I guess the risk is worth taking it. I won't have that bad luck that once I sign this twisted contract an external company will want to hire me, right?

2 months after starting it, turns out, a company is interested in me. They want to hire me. I received a job offer yesterday.

Now I have to pay the bootcamp 5K

I feel betrayed because the 95% of knowledge and skills I got hired for this job I already HAD BEFORE THE BOOTCAMP. The bootcamp actually was pretty crap. I learned little. Very little this 2 months. It has served to me to motivate myself, to re-do my portfolio and CV and get back to coding. But that's it. 

At much the bootcamp helped in:

- Giving the company trust by saying I am doing a coding bootcamp (not sure if that helped)

- Applying for the job offer because I probably wouldn't´have applied because it's a technology I learned (very little) in the bootcamp.

Do you guys think those 2 things are WORTH 5000€???

These 2 days I've been happy since I'm quitting my stage blue job and going to stage orange but quite fucking shocked that next year my bank account will almost go -50% down YES OR YES (I plan to pay them monthly, so it will take me one year to pay. I have around 11K now). 

I even contemplated to reject the job offer but then I thought that would be ego-based (I don't want to accept that they "got me") so I will accept. But fuck. It hurts to lose this amount of money.

And all because employers are dumb-asses and they trust having a fucking degree. No bitch, I learned very little in the bootcamp. It was all of my struggle before. ? (And even I don't know if Human Resources gave importance to it. I hope so Lol)

You can't be betrayed by the system because the system doesn't owe you anything. It simply lays out the rules and you can decide if you want to participate or not.

If you wouldn't have got the job before paying for the bootcamp, and now you landed a job that will pay you a decent salary for several years and get you into the industry, then 5k is a small price to pay.

In terms of networking, people often say "It's not what you know, it's who you know." Think of the bootcamp like networking rather than an education. You basically paid someone 5k to vouch for you and it worked. So it was worth it. 

Think long-term how much more you'll earn now that you've got a job in the industry and you're actually getting hired, vs just being frustrated and getting nowhere.

If someone asked me to pay $5,000 to start a business that was guaranteed to generate $30,000 a year and continue to earn me money for the rest of my life, I'd be stupid not to take the offer, assuming they're telling the truth.

You can complain that the way the system works isn't fair, but it won't get you anywhere. We all have to play within the rules of the game that we're in. Ask yourself if there is really a better path you could have taken, or if you made the optimal selection.

Edited by Yarco

It's worth it because you got the job. Stop being petty and learn to be grateful.

Thats life you think getting a degree is any different at least you only have to pay 5k people get college degrees dont get a job and have to pay 50-70k in student loans

On 5/12/2021 at 3:38 AM, Yarco said:

You can't be betrayed by the system because the system doesn't owe you anything. It simply lays out the rules and you can decide if you want to participate or not.

If you wouldn't have got the job before paying for the bootcamp, and now you landed a job that will pay you a decent salary for several years and get you into the industry, then 5k is a small price to pay.

In terms of networking, people often say "It's not what you know, it's who you know." Think of the bootcamp like networking rather than an education. You basically paid someone 5k to vouch for you and it worked. So it was worth it. 

Think long-term how much more you'll earn now that you've got a job in the industry and you're actually getting hired, vs just being frustrated and getting nowhere.

If someone asked me to pay $5,000 to start a business that was guaranteed to generate $30,000 a year and continue to earn me money for the rest of my life, I'd be stupid not to take the offer, assuming they're telling the truth.

You can complain that the way the system works isn't fair, but it won't get you anywhere. We all have to play within the rules of the game that we're in. Ask yourself if there is really a better path you could have taken, or if you made the optimal selection.

You might be right. Having said that, I will be making about 1000-1100€ clean a month on this job. Thankfully I have savings, if Not, I probably wouldn´t be able to pay the bootcamp + live on my own at the same time. Lol.

Money talks. Who knows there is someone in the bootcamp pulling the strings to make sure you get hired?

The person wants your money and you want the job.

I think it's fair you call it out and say its bullshit. Of course don't neglect personal responsibility, but it's also important to honor your collective responsibility to improving society. 

LoL that's honestly a pretty good deal if you want and got the job. It's another story if you no longer want the job and can't not pay them. Are there any other educational institutions that don't charge people upfront until they found a job? I've not heard of that. And most "education" is not about training for a job (except for technical college and certain fields) it's a fancy qualification that you can do x based on the courses you took, and few even offer job networking opportunities.. yeah the system is not optimal but relative to what else is out there you got a decent deal. 

Edited by puporing

I am Lord of Heaven, Second Coming of Jesus Christ. ❣ Warning: nobody here has reached the true God.

┊ ┊⋆ ┊ . ♪ 星空のディスタンス ♫┆彡 what are you dreaming today?

天国が来る | 私は道であり、真実であり、命であり。

On 12/4/2021 at 1:18 PM, Javfly33 said:

once I sign this twisted contract

That's the red flag right there.

There are many scams and ways to exploit people within the "get a job" industry.

You are much better off just paying for a course or bootcamp upfront where the pricing is clear, rather than signing some twisted contract. Be ware of these kind of grifts, you will run into them in the future.

Then again, if this bootcamp put you in touch with the company who hired you who you wouldn't have otherwise applied to, then it isn't so bad. The value they provided to you was not in the bootcamp skills but in the company connection. Which could be worth $5k.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

22 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

That's the red flag right there.

There are many scams and ways to exploit people within the "get a job" industry.

You are much better off just paying for a course or bootcamp upfront where the pricing is clear, rather than signing some twisted contract. Be ware of these kind of grifts, you will run into them in the future.

Then again, if this bootcamp put you in touch with the company who hired you who you wouldn't have otherwise applied to, then it isn't so bad. The value they provided to you was not in the bootcamp skills but in the company connection. Which could be worth $5k.

Na, I Contact the company myself.  I just think that the fact that i was Able to put in my CV that i was doing a coding Bootcamp give me points to be hired by the company that Saw It. Since apart from the Bootcamp i didnt have any sort of degree related to tech.

But again, its literally paying 5K to be Able to put in your CV "X Bootcamp, 2021 September - 2021 December" LOL

4 hours ago, puporing said:

LoL that's honestly a pretty good deal if you want and got the job. It's a) it's a fancy qualification that you can do x based on the courses you took, and few even offer job networking opportunities.. yeah the system is not optimal but relative to what else is out there you got a decent deal. 

Im definetely pretty Happy with the job. So ill Dodge the bullet and Pay them Happy.

Yeah exactly...

1 hour ago, Javfly33 said:

But again, its literally paying 5K to be Able to put in your CV "X Bootcamp, 2021 September - 2021 December" LOL

Well, you should have considered this when joining the BC.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

5K isn't that high. There are people who have to pay $50K or $100k+ to put a degree in their resume.

Yea I actually don't think this is an awful deal. You essentially paid 5k to enter the job market in quite a lucrative field, which is a lot less than a degree would cost you

If you could have done it self-taught that would obviously have been ideal, but that wasn't an option so you did what needed to be done

On 04/12/2021 at 9:18 PM, Javfly33 said:

I feel betrayed because the 95% of knowledge and skills I got hired for this job I already HAD BEFORE THE BOOTCAMP. The bootcamp actually was pretty crap

I agree that the concept of coding bootcamps are actually retarded though, I've never met anyone who thought they learnt anything useful from one. So for that I can understand your frustration. Hell, I didn't learn anything especially practical from a 4yr CS degree. Courses don't teach you how to code, you learn by coding practical, real-world projects

I think you made the right choice, though. You're at least moving forward. View it as 5k to enter the job market in a field where you can start making many times that pretty quick

If they don't charge you ridiculous interest just pay it off monthly over like 3 years and you'll barely even notice it's there. By then you might even be making more money and you can pay it off quicker