Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Matt23

Business or Coaching Course First? Advice

14 posts in this topic

I'm considering doing this $4500 coaching course.  It's from The Graduate Institute which offers some, what I consider, high quality consciousness programs (like an MA in Consciousness Studies), not to mention having had Bonnitta Roy attend or teach there (someone I consider very advanced and developed; stage "yellow" at least).  

This program is also ICF approved.  

The only thing is that I'm wondering if it's wise to get this first or a business course first.  

I can see how getting this course first would A) help me out in my own life in terms of growth and healing, B) give me skills and a certified document that are more marketable than what I currently have.

But I can also see how if I get this course first without business training, then I may end up like someone who's found the greatest treasure in the world, only it's in a cave that's impossible to access.  

On the otherhand, if I take a business course first, gain skills in bussiness, this may allow me to become more versatile in creating projects and smaller business opportunities over the long-term, which could eventually lead to gaining the money needed for this course.  

I mean, know either way has its pros and cons.  And I could really learn either on my own.  ... 

...  Having said that, I do think that the information in this coaching course is probably less freely available than information in a business course.  Thus making it more valuable to get first.  But I could be wrong.  

Anyways...

Another piece of the puzzle is that I am one semester away from finishing a diploma in psychology (which, honestly, won't get me far in terms of job market) and it's sort of like, I have enough money for only one thing: the last semester of college (which, in the long-run, could potentially lead to a masters and certified counsellor. Though, that's a long road and lots of money if I choose it), the coaching program, a business course, or possibly multiple shorter and less expensive courses that could add up.  

Anyhoo...

Let me know what you think.

Cheers

Here's the links to the course info:  It's the level 1 course.

https://learn.edu/coaching-with-spirit/

https://learn.edu/wp-content/uploads/2021/05/CWS-1_Requirements-2022.pdf

Edited by Matt23

"Just a spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down"   --   Marry Poppins

It may also be worth noting that...

• I often feel most excited when thinking about non-duality n' stuff like that.
  • yet, I tried doing one of Shinzen Young's free meditation courses and felt it was a bit of a bore... though, that's only one course I suppose.

So maybe taking some medtiation/non-duality courses could be a better fit. ... 

Like being a non-duality/meditation coach!  That sounds cool and fun. lol

Or even maybe going to do a longer retreat at a center or something to really get my teeth wet with this stuff more in depth/hardcore.  

Dunno.  

Edited by Matt23

Hard to tell if we don't know what you are trying to achieve. What is your life purpose / goal here?

I would say hold off on making a big financial commitment until you have clarity around your visions and goals. I think you are still in the process of learning and finding out what you want which is a good place to be, but don't jump the gun on spending large amounts of money yet because you may come to regret if your vision changes or you find you aren't as interested in the content as you initially thought

If it were me I'd get my diploma in psychology if you're that close to having it. You can always take a coaching course later on. You probably could go back and get the diploma later too, but I don't know what the circumstances around that are. 

My Youtube Channel- Light on Earth “We dance round in a ring and suppose, but the Secret sits in the middle and knows.”― Robert Frost

On 12/4/2021 at 9:48 PM, Raptorsin7 said:

I would say hold off on making a big financial commitment until you have clarity around your visions and goals.

Ya.  Sounds wise.  It's something I've been thinking more recently.  Even though i have this fear of not doing it and "lagging behind".  

On 12/5/2021 at 6:16 AM, mandyjw said:

If it were me I'd get my diploma in psychology if you're that close to having it. You can always take a coaching course later on. You probably could go back and get the diploma later too, but I don't know what the circumstances around that are. 

True, I could get one later.  One thing though is that I find it difficult to make money and maintain jobs (just not being cognitively sort of forgetful n maybe not having the bandwidth sometimes.. not sure) and just life in general, so maybe part of the indecisiveness and fear i feel around this choice stems from feeling not confident in making money after I spend it what i have for school.  So making sure i spend it on that which will develop me be most profitable seems high priority to me.

Cheers

Hey, I'd first recommend doing Leo's LP course to find out exactly what you're passionate about. It will take you a few months to get through it, but if you take the course seriously, it will really provide you a roadmap for what to do next, what to buy, etc. It's also great since it's relatively cheap. Also, there are great courses/coaches who offer both coaching + business for the same price, or cheaper.

Coaching is a lot about knowing what you want & then just a lot of action taking. Trying things out, making it better,... Imo, the course you'll choose will not make a huge difference. There's a bunch of great courses out there teaching you marketing or how to structure talking to clients. But that's all secondary imo. If you're aligned with your passion, you'll have a ton of energy to overcome any block that comes your way. Hence my recommendation to do the LP course first. Being clear about what you want will get you extremely far.

@flume Cheers.  I did already do the course several years ago.  I still haven't done all the readings.  But I went through it pretty diligently.  There might be a few odds n' ends I haven't totally done yet, maybe even just the book reading list.  

Over the past several months I've been refining my values a bit.  Seems to be more aligned and true for me now I have some space.  

Honestly, I think just having more life experience has helped more than the course.  Just knowing what I like, what works, and doesn't.

Edited by Matt23

@Matt23

On 16/12/2021 at 9:54 AM, Matt23 said:

@flume 

Honestly, I think just having more life experience has helped more than the course.  Just knowing what I like, what works, and doesn't.

True. I did the LP course when I was 21 and didn't get much value out of it. Doing it again now at 27 and I'm getting a lot out of it. Maybe go back to the course and re do it? You might be ready for it now. 

17 minutes ago, Spence94 said:

Maybe go back to the course and re do it?

Could be a good idea.  At least in part (especially the values section,,, seems to be something right up my alley at the moment, and in a more felt-sense way rather than disconnected intellect).

Cheers

I personally thought studying accounting and business first is the best thing. These IMO… accounting, administration, etc and having a skill set in them where you have developed a feel for accuracy and consistency, problem solving etc and how a business functions to be so important as the foundation for your life purpose.

Once you have the structural skill set developed you can then use it to build anything really I think. Anyone making a consistent impact on the world is using a business foundation. Understanding accounting is also such an important skill for many reasons.

Edited by Thought Art

"Unburdened and Becoming" - Bon Iver

◭"89"

How do you feel about going out and talking to people, and offering them your coaching services for $150-$250 per 30-50 minute phone call, in spite of the fact that you will feel more or less just as  unprepared as you do now, where you are not teaching but helping them work out a way forward for themselves?

Don’t think about being behind in life. It is not true. In your present direct experience you will find it is not true. Authentic inspiration, desire to express what is in you is where to keep your eyes.

Edited by Bob Seeker

A Call to Live Differently: https://angeloderosa.com

Cheers yall

Nice stuff

I don't think it matters :) You won't become a world-renowned coach in a year to a degree that your lack of business skills would hold you back. You probably already know some basics to be able to sell a coaching package to a client or to build some basic website with Squarespace or Wix, you need no business skills for either. 

I've been leading my tiny business for about 14 months and my true business skills are mostly shit :D because I spent the majority of the time for the past 4 years learning the craft. I'm just now really digging deeper into the business skills. 

I would start with the coaching course. It will get you fired up and inspired and motivated. Starting with the business thing without having the base ground of what your coaching business is all about will be difficult as it is possible they'll be asking you to draw practical experience from you practice....do you see what I mean? 

Start with understanding your art, nische it, be specific, get the skills, the techniques, do some research and understand who your client is and what are his needs.  Once you have that, then start working on business skills....at least that's just my opinion. It may clash with what you believe. 

It is easier to learn new craft before learning how to sell it then to try to learn how to sell something you're not even specific about. And you can always read some How to business book alongside the coaching course. 

Either way, wishing you good luck Matt, glad to see your life purpose taking on :)

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus