WokeBloke

Is there a thinker?

57 posts in this topic

Now this is a question I have seen SO many answers given on and I want to hear yours.

I feel like thinking is a pretty complicated issue so I will reduce the problem to activities that are simpler than thinking.

Also before we continue obviously a thinker is a thought but the question is what thinks the thinker thought...

When there is walking is there a walker?

When there is talking is there a talker?

When there is listening is there a listener?

When there is cooking is there a cooker?

A walker, talker, listener, cooker would be "someone who _________ (walks, talks, listens, cooks)"

A someone implies a subject preforming the activity. 

Now my personal opinion is that when people say there is no thinker and thoughts just arise spontaneously they are overlooking themselves. If I am walking and I say there is no walker its as if I'm stripping out all subjectivity from the equation when in reality the subject is the foundation of everything it seems. There can be thinking, walking, etc without the aware subject who does these things.

Anyway this can be taken much deeper I'm sure. Let me see your thoughts. Or perhaps you are not writing to a subject just to an unaware void that magically responds to you.

Edited by WokeBloke

@WokeBloke oh man ?.

Thought is a beautiful thing, it's a mechanism that is wholeness yet it takes on a form that appears to chase its own tail. 

The thing here is that when you are using thought to get an answer, you will only continue chasing your own tail. 

"Who thinks the thinker thought?" 

^ see this right here, that's the mechanism in action :) . 

The only answer technically is to real-ize the truth of thought. 

To see thought for what it really is.

@WokeBloke this is all word games.

Ground yourself in your direct experience, you cannot get to Truth through a bunch of words.

54 minutes ago, Fearless_Bum said:

@WokeBloke oh man ?.

Thought is a beautiful thing, it's a mechanism that is wholeness yet it takes on a form that appears to chase its own tail. 

The thing here is that when you are using thought to get an answer, you will only continue chasing your own tail. 

"Who thinks the thinker thought?" 

^ see this right here, that's the mechanism in action :) . 

The only answer technically is to real-ize the truth of thought. 

To see thought for what it really is.

If I reduce it to two possibilities:

There is a thinker.

There is no thinker.

Which do you choose and why?

Edited by WokeBloke

26 minutes ago, Terell Kirby said:

@WokeBloke this is all word games.

Ground yourself in your direct experience, you cannot get to Truth through a bunch of words.

Would you agree the bodies are the thinkers from an objective perspective since they make the thoughts?

Edited by WokeBloke

It is not easy to give an answer but here is my attempt :

There is a thinker, it's god.

You (and the rest of the universe) are a thought, not the thinker.

You are also a thinker, for god thought you in its own image.

If you zoom out far enough from the thought while relaxing into it, you are god.

If you don't zoom out but still realize the creative power of thinking, you can think stuff into existence.

God is that which can never exist and everything is just happening.

Yet nothing has ever happened and there is only god.

@WokeBloke there is no thinker. 

Thought appears to think, or come into existence, but it really doesn't. 

The energy is always there, but it appears to be chasing its own tail. 

That question turns Self bias into a whole nother thing, don't it? xD

My Youtube Channel- Light on Earth “We dance round in a ring and suppose, but the Secret sits in the middle and knows.”― Robert Frost

1 minute ago, Fearless_Bum said:

@WokeBloke there is no thinker. 

Thought appears to think, or come into existence, but it really doesn't. 

The energy is always there, but it appears to be chasing its own tail. 

Thoughts do no think. Words do no think. Thoughts like these are exactly as the were made. You don't see these thoughts making any more thoughts do you? They just stay exactly as they are just like the computer you see them on. 

Also before this post these thoughts did not exist. I brought them into existence.

5 minutes ago, SriSriJustinBieber said:

It is not easy to give an answer but here is my attempt :

There is a thinker, it's god.

You (and the rest of the universe) are a thought, not the thinker.

You are also a thinker, for god thought you in its own image.

If you zoom out far enough from the thought while relaxing into it, you are god.

If you don't zoom out but still realize the creative power of thinking, you can think stuff into existence.

God is that which can never exist and everything is just happening.

Yet nothing has ever happened and there is only god.

Why do you think nothing has ever happened? 

Just now, WokeBloke said:

Thoughts do no think. Words do no think. Thoughts like these are exactly as the were made. You don't see these thoughts making any more thoughts do you? They just stay exactly as they are just like the computer you see them on. 

Also before this post these thoughts did not exist. I brought them into existence.

@WokeBloke there's no thoughts, only thought disguising as thoughts. (Also no thought either ?, but we gotta point to something so well use that word)

All that's there is you talking about thoughts, that's literally all that's there, but there are no thoughts. 

Words on a computer screen are just black markings on a screen, you make them thought by saying so right now. That's it. 

5 minutes ago, Fearless_Bum said:

@WokeBloke there's no thoughts, only thought disguising as thoughts. (Also no thought either ?, but we gotta point to something so well use that word)

All that's there is you talking about thoughts, that's literally all that's there, but there are no thoughts. 

Words on a computer screen are just black markings on a screen, you make them thought by saying so right now. That's it. 

Okay so you are saying I am calling these thoughts. I agree. I could have called it anything. Pensamientos in spanish. However each one of these sentences  can be thrown into the category of "thought". Now the question is what makes all of these thoughts. Is there a maker? And if there is then one would have to agree there is a thinker and the thinker would be the one making these thoughts.

There's no thinker.  It's just a mirror that reflects experience with no substance at all.  But this is the end of the path, not the beginning.  It will take a lot of work for this to be experientially true for you, as this subtle sense of self is highly entrenched and solidified.

2 minutes ago, WokeBloke said:

Now the question is what makes all of these thoughts. Is there a maker? 

@WokeBloke how do you know you have thoughts? (Not a trick question)

@WokeBloke You're just confused by language, that's all it is. No need to make this so complicated. 

Just now, Tim R said:

@WokeBloke You're just confused by language, that's all it is. No need to make this so complicated. 

@Tim R its quite beautiful, how language traps itself. The word really thinks its in the sentence ?.

21 minutes ago, mandyjw said:

That question turns Self bias into a whole nother thing, don't it? xD

Don't mind me, I'm talking to myself again. (Not solipsism, literally.) 

bias (n.)

1520s, "oblique or diagonal line," from French biais "a slant, a slope, an oblique," also figuratively, "an expedient, means" (13c., originally in Old French a past-participle adjective, "sideways, askance, against the grain"), a word of unknown origin. Probably it came to French from Old Provençal biais, which has cognates in Old Catalan and Sardinian, and is possibly via Vulgar Latin *(e)bigassius from Greek epikarsios "athwart, crosswise, at an angle," from epi "upon" (see epi-) + karsios "oblique" (from PIE *krs-yo-, suffixed form of root *sker- (1) "to cut"). https://www.etymonline.com/word/bias

So Self bias, is literally cutting yourself in half, drawing a line through yourself. Which only thought can do. A thought separates or combines what it has unconsciously already separated. 

I think myself. "I cannot live with myself anymore." Well who is the self I cannot live with anymore? 

So asking thought if there's a thinker would always be the ultimate self bias. 

My Youtube Channel- Light on Earth “We dance round in a ring and suppose, but the Secret sits in the middle and knows.”― Robert Frost

19 minutes ago, Flyboy said:

There's no thinker.  It's just a mirror that reflects experience with no substance at all.  But this is the end of the path, not the beginning.  It will take a lot of work for this to be experientially true for you, as this subtle sense of self is highly entrenched and solidified.

What made your thoughts then (specifically the one you just made)?

Edited by WokeBloke