tryingchanges

Music ¿yes Or No?

12 posts in this topic

I have listened the idea that if you are get a lot of ideas around the day, you will get less focused in the other actions. My question is: Should I listen music while I am walking down the street? and should I watch youtube videos of self development while I am eating?

YES! I do it all the time. There may be contradictary methods on your path but just stay flexible and experiment.

@tryingchanges

It's all a matter of what you value.

Personally I prefer to listen to music and do self development work independent of other things. I enjoy the feeling of devoting my entire focus to the experience. We learn the most when our attention is committed to the thing we're trying to learn. We enjoy life the most when we are wholly focused on the present moment.

That said, more often than not you'll find me listening to music as I walk around my university's campus. There are other times though where I will intentionally not play music because I'm enjoying being outside that much. But as the weather gets colder, it becomes a lot easier to ignore the frigid temperatures by listening to music than to think about it actively.

I listen to music when I masturbate. I listen to Alan Watts when I walk down the hood.

for me music is a distraction, when I listen to music I dont do anything else

If you want a great musical example that can help with personal development, check out 4'33 by John Cage.

You may have heard of it. The whole idea is that you can find music everywhere by just listening to the sounds around you at any given moment: there is never a true moment of silence. It teaches you how to shatter the concept of music and find the beauty in the sounds of the present moment. If you can learn to appreciate it, you'll be able to enjoy 'music' in a much deeper way and, perhaps, extinguish the urge to listen to music. Although I study music, I hardly ever listen to it because the raw sounds of nature are so divine that there is no competition.

There are also some pretty funny covers of it!

Piano cover

Cat version

On 12/16/2016 at 0:31 PM, Psychonaut said:

I listen to music when I masturbate. I listen to Alan Watts when I walk down the hood.

same

Epic music, Melodic progressive, Space ambiant :)

I use it to visualize or to relax, but never when I walk, because I want to appreciate nature fully when I do.

God is love

Whoever lives in love lives in God

And God in them

I believe it's better to stay aware, rather than listening to music. Music is just another form of entertainment that doesn't give much benefit. But lIstening to self-development material while walking could be beneficial, but you really have to find out what you need more, awareness (walking meditation) or knowledge?

Although is focusing on the knowledge presented count as being aware? 

I try to mix both, sometimes I don't do anything, just simply walk, ejoy the silence and the body movements, breathing. Other times I turn on some interesting Buddhism (not too much philosophical) talk that doesn't require a lot of concentration and walk (since I prefer to investigate tougher knowledge in complete concentration, with notes.)

Music ? I used to listen to it, but now I only listen to it when exercising or when I get back home and have homework/reading to do.

The comment above is great ^ i wouldn't go any further but its always good to share different examples and perspectives.

You can do as you wish but i must mention doing one thing at a time with conscious attention/awareness will gain maximum energy/reward where as too using music or watching something in the meantime. Everything is consciousness, Just like water has memory, food releases more chi/life-force/prana when you give more attention to it while consuming it. Thank, appreciate and be grateful for this sustenance and notice how much more energy and alive you feel compared to as when you watch TV and eat.  

On my days of LSD and Deep Meditation all these came clear to me as i could feel every nutrient, every cell, every bit of life/data releasing and absorbing or downloading within me. Its something i will never forget nor can really do any justice to the experience itself. Soon as i became distracted all those sensations started to fade. We don't notice them when we are sober because we have been heavily de-sensitized by almost everything around us but if you practice spirituality and self actualization daily you will started to become purer and notice stuff like this more and how alive everything really is.

Music is amazing don't get me wrong, the whole universe is one big musical dance, One of my most powerful DMT experiences unlocked this Knowing(if you will) within me but there are times when it can become a downside.

Like for example: I have a cousin who cannot walk anywhere without putting earphones in his ears and listening to music, its sorta like a subconscious escape or comfort one needs to get from point A to point B. One day he couldn't find a charger and made such a big deal and did not want to walk home without it. He started to panic and stress and i simply told him, see what happens when you attach yourself too much to one thing and expect something to always be there to hold you down when you fall instead of being the one in control? 

I had to roll him a joint and shared some wisdom for him to be able to get back into the "flow-state"(so to speak) and walk home without it. My god how much these experiences remind me of my younger self. These days i see my younger self through almost everyone, those little things that make it all visible but through so much darkness i had to endure the only thing that was left was light and the explosion was divine.

I try my best to help others so they don't have to go through what i did to reach these states of awareness but sometimes no matter how hard i try, it seems they are designed to misunderstand me but then i probably wouldn't of listened either if i had a teacher or master. Thank god Truth/Light only knows to spread and expand.

B R E A T H E

Music is a divine gift showcasing the creativity of the artist and beauty of live. Music is not entertainment, it is art. Art serves no "functional" purpose in a rational mindset. Yet it is still there. Appreciate it or let it be.

Everyone likes nostalgia and there is nothing better when you listen to an old song/tune you used to be listening back in the days and thinking about how much has changed since then.

Edited by Evilwave Heddy